Sponsored

Matte wrap or not?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I would leave it on. I think it looks great. I slightly prefer the Forest Green with clear, but both look good.

Ultimately the matte wrap will protect the paint and make it more unique. Give it a few months and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Like others have said, I think the matte has a different effect when the color is darker vs lighter. I personally prefer the matte look on a color like LS, GW, or LA Silver, but to each his own.

I would be very hesitant to change it out at this point, however. You paid an arm and a leg and ultimately, the matte is still serving its main purpose which is to protect your paint.

If it were me, I would live with it for a while and see if you adjust to it, maybe even grow fond of it. Worst case, you tear it off in a few months or a year, but at least you will have gotten some protection.

If you just tear it off now, it will be for nothing.
I was happy to find this discussion. I feel like LG is sort of the FGā€™s matte or muted cousin anyway. I donā€™t hate it but on the 21ā€™s, and with FG, I prefer the stock FG look.
My preorders is LS and Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of doing matte on the LS. I hope it has a similar impact to white but concerned it wil lose the chameleon affect. Do we have a matte LS in this forum?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I googled for weeks looking for pics of matte on green but only found El Cap and silver.
I admit Iā€™ve only seen Forest Green matte pics in the last week or two, definitely not common. I donā€™t know how easy it is for the shops doing the wraps to only do a portion of the vehicle as a sample.

OP
OP

battincd

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sr Director, Information Technology
I admit Iā€™ve only seen Forest Green matte pics in the last week or two, definitely not common. I donā€™t know how easy it is for the shops doing the wraps to only do a portion of the vehicle as a sample.
The owner is a great guy, real skilled, high quality shop and very popular here. This is the 5th wrap he's done for me. He previewed it by taking a large piece, sprayed water on the hood and pressed the wrap to it and smoothed it out. He did the same with when I did the white. Of course, no need to preview the standard finish

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You do not have a ceramic coat on the PPF correct? I wonder if adding either a ceramic or a gloss sealant would do to the appearance?

If you are going to toss the PPF anway, no harm in trying it on a section to see if you like it better.

Sponsored

OP
OP

battincd

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
You do not have a ceramic coat on the PPF correct? I wonder if adding either a ceramic or a gloss sealant would do to the appearance?

If you are going to toss the PPF anway, no harm in trying it on a section to see if you like it better.
Yes. Ceramic on the PPF. I'll ask about that.

OP
OP

battincd

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
The comments here have been helpful. I don't feel like an outlier.

For Sale: lightly used PPF wrap, custom cut for a Rivian R1T ;)

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I tend to think FG absolutely needs to remain FG. It's a great color.....I also feel matte is a very trendy look (especially black)...on LA Silver and White it does look nice though`. Remove the matte and go clear, as it's obvious to me you're not loving it.....someone said they like matte on LG? I did a small panel and it ruined LG and eliminated the metal flake......

Make the appointment and get back the wow!!

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
ā€¦
Do we have a matte LS in this forum?
Yes, there are pics and videos of stealth matte ppf on Limestone in the Limestone thread. Should be an easy find via search. Looks pretty good, but also worried it would lose the variance.

As for matte FG, yes thatā€™s a drastic change. Looks like a dark LG, for sure. Itā€™s not terrible, but if you really liked FG, youā€™ve significantly altered it. Iā€™d keep it for a while though. It wouldnā€™t bother me THAT much to rip it right back off.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Yes, there are pics and videos of stealth matte ppf on Limestone in the Limestone thread. Should be an easy find via search. Looks pretty good, but also worried it would lose the variance.

As for matte FG, yes thatā€™s a drastic change. Looks like a dark LG, for sure. Itā€™s not terrible, but if you really liked FG, youā€™ve significantly altered it. Iā€™d keep it for a while though. It wouldnā€™t bother me THAT much to rip it right back off.
Yep, found it, along with more discussion about the XPEL Rivian package v. Custom PPF application. Super helpful- THANK YOU!

Sponsored

PoorDick

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Karma, 2019 Colorado, 2022 C40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
I did full Stealth XPEL (matte) and had ceramic coating on top of that. It made my Rivian Blue not look like every other Rivian Blue, which is what I wanted, but even better was the ceramic. I am amazed at how easily it cleans. No water spots, mud and dirt just slides off with a little water. The only "downside" was during installation happened to be the exact same week Rivian announced their "deal" with XPEL.

OP
OP

battincd

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
This is a little delayed. Thanks for everyone's comments. It's started to grow on me. I also went by the SC and took some comp pics. In addition to the stealth, they wrapped the piano black on the bumper with a stealth that had a slight texture (not sure the term for that).

Rivian R1T R1S Matte wrap or not? D713EE4C-9427-4860-A3E2-EE90F6BAABE2

Rivian R1T R1S Matte wrap or not? 054E6099-8A30-4610-B3EA-E3F9A63033E0

Rivian R1T R1S Matte wrap or not? EA14F308-B208-45A4-A1E4-E90128D02FF5

Rivian R1T R1S Matte wrap or not? C6B4C72F-C2FC-4F69-949D-5A07FF6F518D

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I'm a fan of matte on white or black, but on colors (green, blue, red etc) I dont think it looks as good, also the Rivian colors are so great, I think they pop more in the gloss.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
love the wrap on the bumper
Sponsored