Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Received my title (UT) this week. Just under 2 months after delivery. Hopefully plates and registration will soon follow. .
Sponsored

IGranite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Iā€™m in CA so maybe it is different but I got my registration and plates in about a week, maybe 10 days tops (late June pickup for the truck). That was substantially faster than when my wife got her Volvo.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
My guide just informed me it is anticipated to be finished with registration by August 15, my drive out expires August 11. She was kind enough to offer a rental so I can park my $80k illegal to drive truck.

The question is...anticipated to be finished by Aug 15, does that mean plates delivered, or paperwork done and plates in the mail?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The question is...anticipated to be finished by Aug 15, does that mean plates delivered, or paperwork done and plates in the mail?
Rivian R1T R1S Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration here-everything-is-made-up-whose-line-is-it-anyway

No one knows - from the titling company, to the titling company liaison to Rivian, to your Guide, to you.

I was told, "2-3 Weeks" when I spoke to my Guide about my registration last week. It told him something along the lines of Jesus Christ himself couldn't get the state to process the paperwork for my truck in 2-3 weeks. He just chuckled and said that I was probably right.

šŸ˜•

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Just came from the DMV. Got plates in less than 15 min. I must have called/texted RegUSA/Rivian four times that long over the past 3 months.

No word on the sales tax refund.

The fun continues, but at least I legally own my truck now.
Got the refund check today. Finally done with this saga.

Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Got the refund check today. Finally done with this saga.
Same here. Came just about one month from the point that I paid out of pocket, if that helps for anyone else going down this path. They still owe me a second check for the penalties I had to pay over and above the original tax and title amounts, but thatā€™s a much smaller check.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I got my refund check today.... Rivian did the refund faster than WA state shipped real plates, which was great. My Guide was super friendly and helped make the best of the situation.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

After pestering my guide and seeing the expiration date on my tag rapidly approaching, I called my local DMV just to see if they could give me any update. Turns out the paperwork had been sitting there for a month and they never called me šŸ¤¦ So I canā€™t fault Rivian or RegUSA in my case.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I received my self registration paperwork from Rivian about two weeks ago. Went into a title office and they were confused at a few pieces of it but it went mostly well. An interesting point they came to was the vehicle sales tax. Since my paperwork stated I already paid it they didn't require me to pay it again. I repeatedly brought up that I was getting refunded that money by Rivian but the two workers that reviewed everything with me stated, "the paperwork says you paid it so as far as we/the state is concerned, it's paid." Not too sure how to feel about that.

Title came yesterday and upon closer inspection it's got an incorrect vehicle "make" on it as a Riva, as in a Yamaha Motorcycle so now I'll need to go get that fixed.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I received my self registration paperwork from Rivian about two weeks ago. Went into a title office and they were confused at a few pieces of it but it went mostly well. An interesting point they came to was the vehicle sales tax. Since my paperwork stated I already paid it they didn't require me to pay it again. I repeatedly brought up that I was getting refunded that money by Rivian but the two workers that reviewed everything with me stated, "the paperwork says you paid it so as far as we/the state is concerned, it's paid." Not too sure how to feel about that.

Title came yesterday and upon closer inspection it's got an incorrect vehicle "make" on it as a Riva, as in a Yamaha Motorcycle so now I'll need to go get that fixed.
I have my appt today in CT - will be curious to see how it goes!

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
After pestering my guide and seeing the expiration date on my tag rapidly approaching, I called my local DMV just to see if they could give me any update. Turns out the paperwork had been sitting there for a month and they never called me šŸ¤¦ So I canā€™t fault Rivian or RegUSA in my case.
First, after pestering my Guide, Rivian said my insurance information wasn't adequate and needed the entire policy PDF...sent that. Said on 7-13-22 that everything had been sent to my DMV and it was up to them. Kept checking electronically daily for any evidence of something happening, but nada,.

Called my local DMV today. Found out that the check from Rivian was $230.96 short, so instead of contacting me to pay the shortfall, they sent it all back to Rivian YESTERDAY. I should have called last Friday!

Guide says she is sorry for my experience, and will contact their registration dept again to see if can expedite before my temporary tag expires in about 3 weeks.

Again, Murphy's Law holds true, and Murphy was an optimist!

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Stopped by a different title office today to get the "make" issue sorted out. The guy I worked with was actually familiar with what a Rivian was so that was a positive start. Apparently MN didn't have Rivian as an option in their system so the person who first filed the title just selected the closest match. Got it all sorted out and they have Rivian added to the system now. Any other MN people who already have a title I would check real close to confirm yours is correct.

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
Stopped by a different title office today to get the "make" issue sorted out. The guy I worked with was actually familiar with what a Rivian was so that was a positive start. Apparently MN didn't have Rivian as an option in their system so the person who first filed the title just selected the closest match. Got it all sorted out and they have Rivian added to the system now. Any other MN people who already have a title I would check real close to confirm yours is correct.
Rivian is attempting to register my vehicle for me and I haven't received my title yet. I was concerned when I saw this on the MN DVS website šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø Looks like Iā€™m the proud owner of a $80,000 scooter šŸ¤£
Rivian R1T R1S Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration C373ACE4-D14E-4B80-9FD7-B575F2BEE715

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Title came last week, plates and registration arrived yesterday via FedEx - just over 2 months after taking delivery of the truck.

itā€™s interesting to me that the plates and registration (Utah) were shipped FedEx from NY. Seems a bit inefficient, both from a cost and time standpoint, to have that stuff sent all the way across the country to NY by local DMV only to have them repackaged and sent all the way back across the country to me. Why not just have local DMV ship directly to the owner? I see no value in that to anyone.

Not thrilled that there was no way for me to select or specify which of the 3 standard plate designs I wanted. Of the 3, I received what would be my second choice, but thereā€™s no reason we shouldnā€™t be able to specify our first choice since DMV requests this.

Ultimately, I would have preferred to just get the appropriate documents from Rivian and done all of this myself at my local DMV. But Iā€™m probably in a minority in that. My local DMV is awesome. Gotta love the self-deprecating sloth mascot in the background.

Rivian R1T R1S Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration 39AF169A-0BAD-4D48-8679-22A07D50E0AA

For those not familiar with the referenceā€¦

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
For anyone who has self registered, would you mind providing a quick rundown of the process, guide interactions, and necessary paperwork to register yourself? I'm a FL resident (military) and living in MD. My current vehicles are registered in FL, so I'm anticipating some challenges with the process that I'm hoping to circumvent by self registering. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored