Sponsored

Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Has anyone who is financing the R1T in WA seen it in the WA DOL portal?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. Are there any other sites to check?
Not that I know of. But your post made me think there was another awesome state run site I was missing out on!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Rivian’s offer of a “rental truck” better come with a gas credit card serviced by Rivian, and a monthly rebate of my auto loan interest and DMV penalties.

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
I suggested to my guide that a Gear Shop credit would be more meaningful in the amount of rental car cost for each day past temp expiration that we haven’t received our docs. As much as I need to get around, I need what I bought to be legal.

Gear Shop merch and upgrades would be more of an apologetic and lasting silver lining to this fiasco than days in a random rental car. Could be cheaper than covering all rental car costs including fuel too.

Needless to say, no response on that from my guide.

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Certainly a hassle, but I'm grateful that Rivian is not passing the buck and just leaving me out to dry. For me it's important that:

1. My guide still responds (even if she can't help) 2. Rivian offered a solution (rental) instead of passing the buck with a cash contribution. 3. The DMV here isn't consumer friendly and I haven't gotten anywhere with them as of yet. 4. I expected some delay with the Manufacturer direct sale, but wow the state here is ridiculous. They required a new insurance cert because mine is set to expire 07/07/22 wtf. I've purchased vehicles and just provided a policy number without any printed proof and now the state is requiring a insurance certificate from me via Rivian.

Deleted member 7086

Did not need to contact Rivian but my truck was not financed. Not sure if that makes a difference. By using temp plate I mean the paper plate but the number and expiration date on the paper plate is the same as on the permanent metal plate. Perm plate is the Arizona blue and white environmental plate. Did not need to do anything special to receive it.

Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

One last item. My truck arrived originally with an Illinois temp paper plate and registration.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Surprised the WSJ hasn't made this debacle into breaking news yet. But if it did, I bet we would see more urgency to get this ridiculousness fixed.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Update: Finally got a phone call from someone (manager of the title department). This was about 10 minutes after I followed up with RJ and crew, but note that I also used the shotgun approach and squawked to anyone I could, so who knows what was the trigger. They are overnighting me the package for early AM tomorrow, and then I get the joy of walking it into the tax and title office. They are refunding me the taxes paid (already got a revised agreement), and I just followed up to highlight the additional $500 in penalties that are now due. One thing that got me - the manager said that he understands it is "my preference to register the vehicle myself." I said "Whoa - it is not my preference, just to be clear. But it's the only option I have. I'd much rather you did it."

Fingers crossed this works and this annoying saga is over.
The end of my saga, finally. I received the package at 8:15 this morning and it was almost right. :) They didn't include the Georgia form I needed, but I was able to fill it out myself in about 5 minutes. I was at the tag office by 8:45 and out by 9:30 with my registration and plate in hand. After 90 days, it took me only 45 minutes to actually get it processed. I'm hoping others are able to get this done. I also added a new field in my signature to include the registration date. :)

Rivian was apologetic and is well aware this is an issue that needs fixing ASAP, FWIW. It doesn't help those in the same spot I was, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
SUCCESS!

While this thread could probably be merged with another on the topic, I wanted to close out what I started.

After UPS Overnight turned into 2 Day, I got docs yesterday- Certificate of Origin (COO) and copy of its back, copy of Purchase Agreement and an IL tax waiver doc. I needed my wife with me for notaries (title app and COO) since we'll both be on title and reg so couldn't go straight out to DMV until she could get a break from work to go to notary with me first. We did notary at UPS Store first thing this morning and I sent her off to work. I was pretty sure our small, local "plate" office would send me to a bigger regional office as a complicated order - direct to consumer, fees and docs not in order, etc. I did a good bit of prep work yesterday and had all my docs, proofs and copies with me so I decided I'd stop by anyway figuring local office could at least tell me if I had everything I needed and what other office would be best option for my needs. Boy was I happily wrong.

There was one person in front of me in line. My roofing guy, Joe. Hi, Joe. He was just renewing his tag as it was last day of month so he was just a couple of minutes. When I realized there might be a slew of last minute June renewals, I felt lucky there wasn't much of a wait. I got up to the counter and sheepishly hoped that Nicole could guide me, again assuming I'd be sent elsewhere. I might as well have been asking her for the time. She went through my docs without a pause and I had more than I needed. She explained that the COO is a vehicles "birth certificate", congratulated me on having a spanking new, never titled vehicle and that since IL isn't a notary state, I did not need to get that piece notarized. $5 whoops. Out of there in <10 minutes, including wait.

Other things besides NC supposedly being incompatible with virtual notary now that probably would have tripped up 3rd party servicer doing this anyway

1) I'd requested to have the tag from the Tacoma I sold in March transferred just because it was in sequence with our 2 other vehicles which was kinda cool. That was really the only hiccup in the process and Nicole tried to get it by but transfer wasn't possible because Rivian is over a certain weight and I needed a "weighted" registration and plate - one for which Nicole said 8,000lbs should be fine as long as I'm not hauling a lot even though COO had G.V.W.R. as 8,532lbs. She just didn't want to charge me any more than necessary. I may customize my plate next year which Nicole said was totally a thing, even for "weighted" category.
2) I paid a bit over $3k to get this done. Rivian refunded me (and presumably originally charged me) a little over $2500. What I think they missed was the yearly charges NC requires which include Property Tax based on value of vehicle and also a $142 EV tax that Nicole felt obliged to explain to me nicely and apologetically is in lieu of paying gas tax at the pump that funds highway upkeep.

Net is, Rivian should just go straight to getting new owners docs for DIY ASAP. As much as Rivian (or at least my guide) originally wanted to blame various DMV's slowness, it seems there had to be negligent or intentional (stupid or guilty) delay imparted by either Rivian or 3rd party or both. I don't suppose we'll ever get a full accounting of what went wrong but say it was labor, supply chain, solar flares, climate change, etc. one. more. time.

I know not everyone lives in an awesome little town with a ridiculously accessible, low/no wait DMV office with a Nicole (have I mentioned Nicole was AWESOME!!!?) but DIY wasn't nearly as stressful as 90 days of not knowing what was going on only to find that processor is useless.

One other side note, anyone else note that their COO gave them a HP boost? Mine said 872HP SAE. Could be the way SAE is represented vs. oft stated 835. I only found one mention of the 872 number in a search here.

Now returning to my happy place in my Rivian ownership experience. Hope everyone else going through this gets back there soon too.

Last edited:

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I'm in WA state with an expired Illinois drive away permit. Local DMV set me up with a couple of trip permits that last 3 days each. Guide is trying to help--just re-signed my purchase agreement without the licensing fees. Any ideas what's next and how long it will take? My guide hasn't gone through this before, and is trying to help--but it's new for him, too.
Sponsored