Sponsored

Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Agreed - I took a screen shot of the fee details and sent it to them, which includes the penalties you mentioned (totaling about $500).
FWIW - just pulled out my registration.
$10 title late penalty
Title as valor EM dealer penalty (10% of what the title ad a Loren was)
Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm in GA also and no one can seem to tell me anything from the Company (my tags expire Thursday). I think I'm going to just register it myself, once I get assurances that I'll be refunded the $5,500 I have to lay out to get it registered here. Not sure what else to do.

If curious, you have to fill out the MV-1 (title application) online first, and then I believe it will spit out the completed form and then you bring that along with the required supporting docs to the tax and title office. I say "I believe" because I only went so far as to fill out the information requested, but didn't hit "submit" yet. Once I get confirmation from my Guide that I'll be reimbursed, I'll submit it and see what happens.

They've had 90 days to do this, and it took me all of about 6 minutes to complete this form.
I got my $5k refund way faster than anticipated but still don’t have my documents. I got the new purchase agreement yesterday evening, signed it, and got an overnight shipping notification for what I assume is my documents.
I called my local DMV to get a list of what is needed in TX to self register and relayed that to my guide.

TX Self-Registration Documents per my DMV:
MCO - certificate of origin
Bill of sale
Proof of insurance
Proof of inspection (from dealership)
Application 130U

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Good info, cbuckley. If I don't get a serious update today, I will be doing the same. Rivian actually as my truck at the moment too, because they were fixing the passenger wind noise issue. My hope was that by the service team fixing this and then realizing they can't even drive the truck back to my house without a new tag, they would help get things moving too. But who knows. They've had the truck since Thursday.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Good info, cbuckley. If I don't get a serious update today, I will be doing the same. Rivian actually as my truck at the moment too, because they were fixing the passenger wind noise issue. My hope was that by the service team fixing this and then realizing they can't even drive the truck back to my house without a new tag, they would help get things moving too. But who knows. They've had the truck since Thursday.
I’m in the same boat because I had blue liquid leaking from front passenger motor area. I am willing to bet that the service people will not pay any mind to your plates other than arranging for your vehicle to be towed.

If you anticipate getting your vehicle back soon, it may be worth calling RegUSA (aka General Systems Solutions, Dealertrack) to light a fire on their side. I got a new temp tag after calling them but they won’t give you any details on your status due to privacy agreement with Rivian. It may have just been a coincidence in timing but Rivian promised me overnight extended tags a month ago and nothing happened until I called RegUSA.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
ok thanks. How do I call them? And what will they need just the vin number or something?

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I'm in GA also and no one can seem to tell me anything from the Company (my tags expire Thursday). I think I'm going to just register it myself, once I get assurances that I'll be refunded the $5,500 I have to lay out to get it registered here. Not sure what else to do.

If curious, you have to fill out the MV-1 (title application) online first, and then I believe it will spit out the completed form and then you bring that along with the required supporting docs to the tax and title office. I say "I believe" because I only went so far as to fill out the information requested, but didn't hit "submit" yet. Once I get confirmation from my Guide that I'll be reimbursed, I'll submit it and see what happens.

They've had 90 days to do this, and it took me all of about 6 minutes to complete this form.
Now I'm not sure this will work. Here's one of the complaints from the BBB website about RegUSA (the fact pattern hits close to home...), and there's a note that Fulton will not allow me to register the vehicle myself (has to be the "dealership"). But there is no dealership here, so I have no idea. I'm going to call the County and see what I can find out.

" On May 23, 2020, I entered into a purchase agreement with *** of Devon for a 2019 X3. On June 9, after lengthy delays to obtain vehicle transport (no fault of the dealership), in the midst of the current COVID-19 pandemic, I flew to Devon to take physical possession of the vehicle and drove 12 hours back home, Atlanta, GA. It is now August 31, my temporary tag expired on July 25, and *** of Devon’s third-party agent, REGUSA, has yet to register my vehicle with Fulton County, Georgia, DMV per law. I spoke with Fulton County, Georgia, DMV to see if I could register the vehicle with them, I cannot; they require title and other paperwork to come directly from the dealership. REGUSA refuses to speak directly to customers stating all communications must go through the purchasing dealership. *** of Devon has said that REGUSA has not responded to their inquiry. In the meantime, my insurance company has stated, effective September 3, they will cancel the insurance policy for failure to register the vehicle in the State of Georgia. Cancellation of the insurance will cause my auto loan to go into default. More than three months after purchasing my vehicle I have no registration, no insurance and at risk of default on my loan due to the negligent execution of duties by REGUSA."

EDIT: The County says I need the original title in hand to register it myself, which I don't have. She was kind enough to call Rivian also and spoke to customer service, and they said they'll call me (doubtful). But at least I now have the County pestering them. I also spoke to REGUSA, and ran into the privacy policy but she is also going to call Rivian to tell them to call me. I emailed RJ and Tony, and RJ responded yesterday morning that someone would be in touch with me (still waiting on that outreach). All the while, I email my Guide every step of the way.

Long story short - I'm effed. I've tried every angle possible and nothing is working.

Last edited:

MRE

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Land Rover LR4, Ducati Streetfighter
Watching intently. I'm 90 days post delivery, expired temp tag, and no eta on my registration/plates still. Really ruining the ownership experience.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Now I'm not sure this will work. Here's one of the complaints from the BBB website about RegUSA (the fact pattern hits close to home...), and there's a note that Fulton will not allow me to register the vehicle myself (has to be the "dealership"). But there is no dealership here, so I have no idea. I'm going to call the County and see what I can find out.

" On May 23, 2020, I entered into a purchase agreement with *** of Devon for a 2019 X3. On June 9, after lengthy delays to obtain vehicle transport (no fault of the dealership), in the midst of the current COVID-19 pandemic, I flew to Devon to take physical possession of the vehicle and drove 12 hours back home, Atlanta, GA. It is now August 31, my temporary tag expired on July 25, and *** of Devon’s third-party agent, REGUSA, has yet to register my vehicle with Fulton County, Georgia, DMV per law. I spoke with Fulton County, Georgia, DMV to see if I could register the vehicle with them, I cannot; they require title and other paperwork to come directly from the dealership. REGUSA refuses to speak directly to customers stating all communications must go through the purchasing dealership. *** of Devon has said that REGUSA has not responded to their inquiry. In the meantime, my insurance company has stated, effective September 3, they will cancel the insurance policy for failure to register the vehicle in the State of Georgia. Cancellation of the insurance will cause my auto loan to go into default. More than three months after purchasing my vehicle I have no registration, no insurance and at risk of default on my loan due to the negligent execution of duties by REGUSA."

EDIT: The County says I need the original title in hand to register it myself, which I don't have. She was kind enough to call Rivian also and spoke to customer service, and they said they'll call me (doubtful). But at least I now have the County pestering them. I also spoke to REGUSA, and ran into the privacy policy but she is also going to call Rivian to tell them to call me. I emailed RJ and Tony, and RJ responded yesterday morning that someone would be in touch with me (still waiting on that outreach). All the while, I email my Guide every step of the way.

Long story short - I'm effed. I've tried every angle possible and nothing is working.
Update: Finally got a phone call from someone (manager of the title department). This was about 10 minutes after I followed up with RJ and crew, but note that I also used the shotgun approach and squawked to anyone I could, so who knows what was the trigger. They are overnighting me the package for early AM tomorrow, and then I get the joy of walking it into the tax and title office. They are refunding me the taxes paid (already got a revised agreement), and I just followed up to highlight the additional $500 in penalties that are now due. One thing that got me - the manager said that he understands it is "my preference to register the vehicle myself." I said "Whoa - it is not my preference, just to be clear. But it's the only option I have. I'd much rather you did it."

Fingers crossed this works and this annoying saga is over.

Reactions: MRE

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I have a feeling I will be in the same boat. My latest correspondence was that the title work has now been sent to PA and should be to me by 7/8/22 (12 days after plate expired). The "hold up" was due to a difference in fees (which could be the 30-day penalty fee) and that it has been resolved.

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Soooo…. Finally called the OR DMV today to find out what is going on, temp plates expire tomorrow.

Turns out that despite being told otherwise Rivian still hasn’t paid the DMV the full amount due (and collected) and my registration was still pending waiting for payment. So to expedite things I went ahead and paid what was due then had to go wait at the DMV for two hours to get a temp plate. They said my plates will ship out next week.

So now I guess I need to get Rivian to refund me the short payment to the DMV and as far as I am concerned they can refund the ‘doc fee’ they charged me.
My temp plates are now expired. I went to the Oregon DMV today to try to pay the amount due like you and they told me not possible. They also wouldn't let me get a new temp registration and told me the dealer or dealer rep needed to do that as it wasn't in my name yet??? Probably depends which DMV person you talk to. After waiting a few hours I wasn't starting over to get another person. In addition they told me if the additional balance due wasn't paid by tomorrow the whole transaction would be canceled and all money and certificate of origin would be returned. This is likely going to take a month plus to fix now. My guide offered me a rental until it is resolved. I got my truck in March!!!!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My temp plates are now expired. I went to the Oregon DMV today to try to pay the amount due like you and they told me not possible. They also wouldn't let me get a new temp registration and told me the dealer or dealer rep needed to do that as it wasn't in my name yet??? Probably depends which DMV person you talk to. After waiting a few hours I wasn't starting over to get another person. In addition they told me if the additional balance due wasn't paid by tomorrow the whole transaction would be canceled and all money and certificate of origin would be returned. This is likely going to take a month plus to fix now. My guide offered me a rental until it is resolved. I got my truck in March!!!!
I had gotten a letter from the DMV with a way to pay online and was able to do that right away when I called and they told me they hadn't received payment yet. The guy at the DMV was also able to make a couple of phone calls and then issue me a new temp plate (canceling a different one that was issued after I made the payment online). I was told I should expect my plates by the end of this week.

Is your R1T not associated with you in your DMV profile? Mine was even before paying.

Regardless I understand your frustration, I would be angry had I not been able to sort this out myself. Hope it gets sorted out for you soon 🤞

Crc83

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance
I live in Arizona. Five weeks after purchase I received my AZ title. Six weeks after purchase I received my temp AZ plate. At seven weeks I received my perm AZ plate.
Hi, also in AZ and curious how long I’ll be waiting. What do you mean by your temp plate? Is that different than the original temp tags? Did you have to nudge rivian at all to get stuff done?

Thanks,

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

"We'll get you a rental while your tags are expired"
It’s not likely cheap either relative to the fees that go to RegUSA. Seems like they really need a new vendor.
Sponsored