Sponsored

Time to start R1 refresh rumors, perhaps!

Hayseed_MS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Not going to speculate but there will be upgrades coming as well. Cost savings does not mean cheaper if done correctly.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Rivian has never used the word “refresh” just “retooling”. This was from their shareholder letter:

“As previously discussed, we expect to shut down the consumer and commercial lines during the second quarter of 2024 to introduce new cost saving in-vehicle technologies to the R1 platform. We believe these changes will meaningfully reduce our material costs and position Rivian to exit 2024 with a much-improved margin profile.”

Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Unfortunately due to R1’s suppliers (batteries) only a $3750 tax credit is available.
Even the new 4695s? If not I guess people could just use the leasing loophole and then buy it out at the end. It’s crazy that that even exists. Better take advantage while you can.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
It’s pretty clear they’re going to focus on cost cutting to try to stay afloat until 2026. I hope they can pull it off. This economy is brutal for relatively new companies (Rivian was founded in 2009.)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Even the new 4695s? If not I guess people could just use the leasing loophole and then buy it out at the end. It’s crazy that that even exists. Better take advantage while you can.
Well since we aren't going to see that form factor in the R1, it hardly matters for now. Rivian will make sure the new platforms qualify for whatever credits there are at the time.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Well since we aren't going to see that form factor in the R1, it hardly matters for now. Rivian will make sure the new platforms qualify for whatever credits there are at the time.
That’s true, they’d have to redesign the floor of the R1s to accommodate those taller cells. Unless that’s why they’re retooling the line in April… Just kidding they probably don’t even have enough 4695s produced yet for such a major overall. Someday though.

In the meantime it’s all about cost cutting and surviving until 2026. This economy is brutal. I wish we could wrangle inflation back to 2% already.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

One more bit of speculation. If part of the cost cutting effort is aligning various things between the R1 and R2 platform for simplicity, could we see:

1. A charge port move to passenger rear?
2. The R2 rear accessory ports to standardize accessories?

Sponsored

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
One more bit of speculation. If part of the cost cutting effort is aligning various things between the R1 and R2 platform for simplicity, could we see:

1. A charge port move to passenger rear?
2. The R2 rear accessory ports to standardize accessories?
Look for standardization across the board, which may take the form of what you've listed in addition to other changes.

The more that product lines are aligned, the greater cost savings will be compared to vehicle-specific cost cutting measures alone. Components that are shared by multiple product lines position the manufacturer to aggressively negotiate better contracts with suppliers. Suppliers that receive larger orders for a component that is shared across R1/R2/R3 (like the steering wheel ;)) are more willing to tolerate lower profit margins and more inclined to pass those savings onto the buyer as an incentive to win the contract. The effect is compounding - the longer that relationship lasts, the lower the production cost becomes for the supplier, the better the price is for the buyer. Win-win buyer-supplier relationships like this get better with time, which is almost certainly what Rivian is aiming to cultivate as it looks to solidify its position and pitch its positive (profitable) outlook to investors. It starts with closing the gap(s) between their current and future products; with R2/R3 unveiled, relatively around the corner, and well within the period that supplier contracts have fallen into place, Rivian is likely already preparing to implement necessary changes to align R1 with R2/R3. I think this is almost certainly going to occur during the upcoming shutdown in April.

kevster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1S
Well said.
Look for standardization across the board, which may take the form of what you've listed in addition to other changes.

The more that product lines are aligned, the greater cost savings will be compared to vehicle-specific cost cutting measures alone. Components that are shared by multiple product lines position the manufacturer to aggressively negotiate better contracts with suppliers. Suppliers that receive larger orders for a component that is shared across R1/R2/R3 (like the steering wheel ;)) are more willing to tolerate lower profit margins and more inclined to pass those savings onto the buyer as an incentive to win the contract. The effect is compounding - the longer that relationship lasts, the lower the production cost becomes for the supplier, the better the price is for the buyer. Win-win buyer-supplier relationships like this get better with time, which is almost certainly what Rivian is aiming to cultivate as it looks to solidify its position and pitch its positive (profitable) outlook to investors. It starts with closing the gap(s) between their current and future products; with R2/R3 unveiled, relatively around the corner, and well within the period that supplier contracts have fallen into place, Rivian is likely already preparing to implement necessary changes to align R1 with R2/R3. I think this is almost certainly going to occur during the upcoming shutdown in April.
Well said. Can’t wait to take delivery of the refreshed R1S. I hope they don’t reprice it higher with the latest updates.

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
What I would like to see from Rivian refresh:

Lesser weight than current model and maybe even other electric pickups: This would give it even better efficiency and give it an edge by being for people who want lighter electric pickups.

LFP batteries: Would reduce the environmental impacts even more and make it more environmentally friendly. Possibly one of the most environmentally friendly pickup too maybe.

Four wheel steering: This would help it become more maneuverable than it is.

More Power and Quicker acceleration: This will beat Elon Musk at his own game. It will also put Tesla Fanboy and Owner arguments about no truck being as quick as their pickup down.

Better reliability: More people will be able to buy Rivian if it is more reliable

More affordable prices and better value: Once again could give Rivian a bigger advantage over competitors. Though arguably it is the most affordable and best value right now anyways

More range and also better charging times too and improved towing range: Once again this can beat Elon Musk at his own game. His original promise was 500 miles with the Cybertruck and now its not even close. If Rivian could get ~500 miles real world range imagine how cool that would be. It would beat the cybertruck and even better maybe some gas pickups too. Most people complain that Rivians can't go offroad cause ev has much lesser range than gas pickups but a ford raptor, one of the most well known gas pickup trucks has 432 miles. Imagine beating that range with a Rivian. Now who'll be stranded offroad.

Even the current Rivian models are so great and I didn't know how great they were when they first came out, and now I do.

And this is not that important because its a color but I want compass yellow back!

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I would like to see from Rivian refresh:

Lesser weight than current model and maybe even other electric pickups: This would give it even better efficiency and give it an edge by being for people who want lighter electric pickups.

LFP batteries: Would reduce the environmental impacts even more and make it more environmentally friendly. Possibly one of the most environmentally friendly pickup too maybe.

Four wheel steering: This would help it become more maneuverable than it is.

More Power and Quicker acceleration: This will beat Elon Musk at his own game. It will also put Tesla Fanboy and Owner arguments about no truck being as quick as their pickup down.

Better reliability: More people will be able to buy Rivian if it is more reliable

More affordable prices and better value: Once again could give Rivian a bigger advantage over competitors. Though arguably it is the most affordable and best value right now anyways

More range and also better charging times too and improved towing range: Once again this can beat Elon Musk at his own game. His original promise was 500 miles with the Cybertruck and now its not even close. If Rivian could get ~500 miles real world range imagine how cool that would be. It would beat the cybertruck and even better maybe some gas pickups too. Most people complain that Rivians can't go offroad cause ev has much lesser range than gas pickups but a ford raptor, one of the most well known gas pickup trucks has 432 miles. Imagine beating that range with a Rivian. Now who'll be stranded offroad.

Even the current Rivian models are so great and I didn't know how great they were when they first came out, and now I do.

And this is not that important because its a color but I want compass yellow back!
So more range, power, & charging speed with 4WS in a lighter truck at more affordable price & turn a profit at the same time?

Last edited: