Sponsored

Thoughts on removal of Off Road Upgrade

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Maybe the winch is part of the "over delivery" on the off road package. Or are we beyond the over deliver timeline? What we've seen is what we get.
Sponsored

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Just updating this with more accurate info from Rivian's FAQ on underbody protection (emphasis mine):

What is the underbody made of?
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Off-Road Upgrade, available to add on to the Adventure Package or Explore Package, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side.

So my reading is that it's not just a simple material enhancement, there is in fact added coverage included in the off-road upgrade.

Also confusing is where the regular underbody description states "the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions." Then what is the point of the upgrade?
I wonder if the "standard shield" only covers the front area, that silver bash plate we see in the pictures. And the "enhanced shield" is basically a full body bash plate.

For me, I'd hate to lose the tow hooks, love the look of them. That 2K discount lets me get more play stuff though.

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
I added the off-road package back along with the full size 20” spare tire. I am hoping that the R1T will allow lower tire pressures to be run full time without nags.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I wonder if the "standard shield" only covers the front area, that silver bash plate we see in the pictures. And the "enhanced shield" is basically a full body bash plate.

For me, I'd hate to lose the tow hooks, love the look of them. That 2K discount lets me get more play stuff though.
I chatted with CS to ask specifically about the coverage differences (if any) between the standard and upgraded shield, and they said they'd get back to me via email. I'll update folks here when I hear back.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I am glad they gave the option to not have the off-road package and give the money back. The off-raod package is nice to have, but I won't be doing any off-roading so I like the savings, and I can buy some of their upgrades, including the Rivian home charger.

And I kinda like the clean front without the tow hooks, looks more luxurious than rugged, especially in LA Silver.

Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on removal of Off Road Upgrade Rivian R1S

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I still haven't placed a reservation, but I am glad the off-road upgrade is now an option. I am definitely interested in the other upgrades that are part of the Adventure package, but I was less sure about my need for extra skid/bash plate and tow hooks. I may add the off-road upgrade if I eventually get a Rivian, but I will need more information about any tradeoffs it may come with. I already know the biggest tradeoff, which is an important one for me: $2,000 out of my wallet. That isn't pocket change, even if it's not a big $ of the total cost of the vehicle. I can do a decent amount of things with $2k.

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
I agree with other posters that the hooks should be standard. IMO the ability to tow charge seems somewhat tightly ingrained in the image/brand of the R1T. Plus, it doesn't seem like they can be added later unlike most other upgrades, and they can't be all that expensive to Rivian.
I asked CS several questions yesterday related to this
  • Can I add the off road package after delivery? Answer: not that I am aware but it does sound like a good idea.
  • Can I purchase the tow hooks separately. Answer: No, that are sold as one package.
  • Is the suspension pre drilled to accept the two hooks so that I can mount some aftermarket ones? Answer: I am not sure if it is pre drilled.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
For those whose default response when Rivian releases info is "They are lying and trying to hide something", it's probably better to get a refund and move on.
Thanks mom.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Thanks mom.
I mean, he’s not wrong. The reaction he’s poking fun at feels so melodramatic. It’s been weird to see so much drama and pouting in a forum full of adults. If waiting for these vehicles is such a negative experience, it does seem like moving on is the best option.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I mean, he’s not wrong. The reaction he’s poking fun at feels so melodramatic. It’s been weird to see so much drama and pouting in a forum full of adults. If waiting for these vehicles is such a negative experience, it does seem like moving on is the best option.
His patronizing and condescending tone just gets old after awhile. Carry on…

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
My put-low-digit-troll-on-ignore-list button pushing finger is getting tired.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I asked CS several questions yesterday related to this
  • Can I add the off road package after delivery? Answer: not that I am aware but it does sound like a good idea.
  • Can I purchase the tow hooks separately. Answer: No, that are sold as one package.
  • Is the suspension pre drilled to accept the two hooks so that I can mount some aftermarket ones? Answer: I am not sure if it is pre drilled.
Land Rover is doing the same thing with the recovery hooks on the back bumper of the new Defender so far. You can only get them as part of a package. The back bumper even has little covers which can be removed to accommodate the hooks… if you could buy them as a kit. I suspect the aftermarket will come up with solutions.

I prefer the look of the R1 vehicles without the front hooks, but I want the function. Our LR3 has a single recovery hook in the front center behind an access cover. That solution works fine for me but I tend to like a less-is-more aesthetic. I understand why some people want the off-road look, though.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
His patronizing and condescending tone just gets old after awhile. Carry on…
I was dead serious.

If you are at the point where you cannot trust anything Rivian tells you (even if what they are saying is logical and is the simplest explanation), I don't know how you could possibly go through with an order. I could never commit to such a large purchase from a company that I held in such low esteem.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
My question is this; On May 25 CS reps were being instructed (or went rouge I guess) to state that deliveries would begin in June 2021 on May 27 Rivian announces a delay. Does anyone feel that Rivian did not have knowledge that they would not be fulfilling deliveries in June proir to preorder launch of the Ford Lightning and Hyundai Ioniq 5?
It's not the delay, I want them to take the time they need to get it right, Rivian owes me nothing the legal preorder agreement says as much. Rivians CS decieved me into not preordering a Lightning or Ioniq 5 ASAP (I'm a fool and should have known better). I preordered both the Ioniq and Lightening last night, I am not canceling my Rivian preorder because #1 it best suits my use case #2 I still may get it first, #3 I am hedging against delays or bad final specs. of all 3. Forget the delay it's the deception.
Sponsored