Sponsored

Thoughts on Exterior Lights (Turn Signals/Brake/Hazard Lights)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the benefits of DRL'S may not be great, but I'd be shocked to find any common situation where you're more at risk using them.

Not questioning anyone's research or interpretation here, but growing up in the insurance industry, I've only heard good news about them. Perhaps I'll learn something new tonight, while simultaneously addressing my insomnia by reading more NHTSA & IIHS material on the topic.

?>?>?=30 minutes. No Ambien needed...
Sponsored

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Haven't seen this discussed yet, but does the design of the exterior lights slightly disappoint anyone else? From the R1T manual (assumes the same for R1S):
  • Turn signals: Amber front turn signals and red rear turn signals alert other drivers that the driver plans on making a turn or changing lanes.
  • Brake lights: Red lights at the rear of the vehicle and red light strips above the rear window alert other drivers that the vehicle is slowing or stopping.
  • Hazard lights: Amber front and red rear turn signals flash at the same time to alert other drivers of a hazard or emergency
The concern is ambiguity with only using red lights in the rear especially with the rear lights being relatively small. I feel like the small light strip under the rear red light bar could have been configured to use an amber light.

Not related to the rear, but I also feel like the front turn signals should use the edge of the light bar instead of the stadium lights.

Technology Connections on YouTube covers this topic as well.

Agree. The Rivian's I have seen at night are rather underwhelming. It just doesn't 'pop' like the LED on other high end vehicles.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Under what circumstances would you want to turn DRLs off?
When parked in a parking lot and remaining in your vehicle for whatever reason. People looking for parking generally assume you are about to pull out and they often sit and wait until they realize you're not. DRL should never be activated unless the vehicle is in drive. This would also reduce the chance someone will forget to turn on their headlights as the area in front of them is only illuminated when put into drive. Many people forget to turn on their headlights since the area in front of them is immediately illuminated once the vehicle has started.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
When parked in a parking lot and remaining in your vehicle for whatever reason. People looking for parking generally assume you are about to pull out and they often sit and wait until they realize you're not. DRL should never be activated unless the vehicle is in drive. This would also reduce the chance someone will forget to turn on their headlights as the area in front of them is only illuminated when put into drive. Many people forget to turn on their headlights since the area in front of them is immediately illuminated once the vehicle has started.
Every car I’ve ever owned or driven with DRL turns off DRL when the parking brake is set or when put into park, except my land rover because those were retrofitte to meet standards here.

The parking lot reason is as dumb as people who wait for someone to exit a parking spot.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I was surprised at how small the R1T’s brake lights are when energized.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I was surprised at how small the R1T’s brake lights are when energized.
When I first saw the R1T I thought the brake lights and turn signals where just the teeny little lights that turned on below the light bar, but on my truck the entire left/right light bar beyond the tailgate turns on and flashes. Is this a new thing?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am good with the lighting system as designed. I think it all looks good and works good.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Follow the money!

Every insurance company I've ever dealt with gives a discount for cars with Daytime Running Lights. If they were *more* dangerous, it would be costing the insurance companies *more* and they would pass that on to the customer.

Insurance underwriters have huge sets of data which they are constantly using to adjust rates to be commensurate with risks. It's all about the money, and if they didn't do that, or if they set lower rates for higher risks, then they'd be out of business.

So in this case, the best evidence that all the studies are *right*, and that Daytime Running Lights *reduce* risks, is that the underwriting data backs this up. And if there were statistically significant differences in risk between different vehicle colors or different types of vehicles, those would have been seen in the insurance data long ago.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

It’s been pretty foggy here on many days & nights here over the last few weeks. IMHO the “fog lights” do next to nothing in foggy conditions. Toggling them off/on in the fog, I have to convince myself that they’re actually on (they are, I got our & checked once).

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

When I first saw the R1T I thought the brake lights and turn signals where just the teeny little lights that turned on below the light bar, but on my truck the entire left/right light bar beyond the tailgate turns on and flashes. Is this a new thing?
Care to post video?

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

We are 2 month newbies and have not finished reading the manual yet but is it true one CANNOT turn off the headlights during the day? Also, there are times at night you dont want to blind someone with a bright headlight. What am I missing here…..am I not pushing the correct buttons? Your time is appreciated. JB

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
We are 2 month newbies and have not finished reading the manual yet but is it true one CANNOT turn off the headlights during the day? Also, there are times at night you dont want to blind someone with a bright headlight. What am I missing here…..am I not pushing the correct buttons? Your time is appreciated. JB
Yes, you can turn off the headlights and the brights. Left stalk, switch nearest the steering column. Auto brights can be disabled in the menus.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Thank you…..I do that and they always come back on after a short time???
Sponsored