First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
physician
If the phone key works via Bluetooth, can't you simply turn off your phone Bluetooth for now while you're working in your garage 'til Rivian fixes this issue?
I learned from the service guys that it also works off proximity if your phone is loaded as being "paired" with the vehicle. Within about 10-12 feet.
Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Someone else in...some other thread had luck with setting the rivian app's location permissions to only allow while the app is in use.
I've done this with other apps on Android without issues, but never found a good way to do this on iOS.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
It states "or" other access device (i.e. phone). While ridiculous, I am nearly certain the key fob doesn't have the hardware for proximity unlock. I'm assuming Rivian may need to send out new "normal" fobs to all owners since this is far beyond just a minor inconvenience. I'm hoping I'm wrong about this but I can't see any rationale behind disabling such a feature if the hardware is capable of it. I would be happy with a reliable BT lock/unlock (which unlocks the vehicle only when you're within a few feet of it) but I'm not sure this is possible with current BT technology.
There are plenty of current Tesla owners on here...how does phone unlock work for you?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There are plenty of current Tesla owners on here...how does phone unlock work for you?

Hopefully your question is as straighforward as I read but it works pretty seamlessly for me. 95% of the time there aren't any issues entering and exiting (w/auto lock) but every so often I'm faster getting to the door handle than my phone/car can communicate. From what I remember from the update notes Rivian is tweaking connectivity and vehicle sleeping. All the reported issues could all be a few updates away from working as it should, seamlessly.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
It seems to me like the fundamental issue is that the vehicle lock state is tied to the self-presenting door handles. My Model Y may detect my phone and be unlockable as I walk throughout my house, but it doesn't actually wake from sleep, unlock, or turn on the HVAC, screens, and lights until the physical input of my opening the door handle. Rivian seems to have has sacrificed that secondary input for the sake of appearing futuristic. I don't personally see how this could be fixed via software.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
It seems to me like the fundamental issue is that the vehicle lock state is tied to the self-presenting door handles. My Model Y may detect my phone and be unlockable as I walk throughout my house, but it doesn't actually wake from sleep, unlock, or turn on the HVAC, screens, and lights until the physical input of my opening the door handle. Rivian seems to have has sacrificed that secondary input for the sake of appearing futuristic. I don't personally see how this could be fixed via software.
Model S presents handles...right? Surely there's a way to make it work.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There are ways to calculate the distance between devices based on signal responses. They can add this to ensure it is only reacting if you are within a specific range something like 7 - 10 feet.

I’m sure there are other things as well, certainly not an unsolvable issue.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S presents handles...right? Surely there's a way to make it work.
Someone might need to keep me honest here, but I believe that all Tesla vehicles use electronic door releases. This allows them to put the interior opening button wherever they want, but requires they have a manual emergency override. This also provides an external digital signal to the car to change state, similar to the touch areas on older proximity key systems.

I expect Rivian's door handle actuation is full mechanical, given that they don't have a secondary override. As such, it's possible they may lack any type of external control signal that can be relayed to the vehicle to change state.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Someone might need to keep me honest here, but I believe that all Tesla vehicles use electronic door releases. This allows them to put the interior opening button wherever they want, but requires they have a manual emergency override. This also provides an external digital signal to the car to change state, similar to the touch areas on older proximity key systems.

I expect Rivian's door handle actuation is full mechanical, given that they don't have a secondary override. As such, it's possible they may lack any type of external control signal that can be relayed to the vehicle to change state.
Vehicles have had "door ajar" sensors for decades. There is no prerequisite for electronic door handles.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Here is the FCC report on the keyfob (confirmed by opening mine up and looking at the FCC ID).

Seems like it should work exactly like the phones over bluetooth so i'm assuming the feature just isn't enabled yet. Honestly, my guess is battery drain on the keyfob is the main reason.

https://fccid.io/2AW3A-1WWG20R1TKFB
On my zoom call with their engineer, he mentioned that he metal carabiner is posing a lot of transmission challenges for them. So it could be the form factor that's hurting them.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm going to leave my R1 unlocked. Anyone that finds all the guns and ammo in the spare tyre area should reconsider stealing my car. If that doesn't deter them it should be easy to track down IF they can actually drive off in it.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vehicles have had "door ajar" sensors for decades. There is no prerequisite for electronic door handles.
The signal needs to come from the door HANDLE to tell the vehicle what you're trying to do. Proximity key systems have touch sensors on the door handle so you can tell the car exactly when you want to lock and unlock. Tesla's system can use the handle to tell the car you want to unlock it, but doesn't have a button to manually lock, which is why they use walk away lock. A door ajar sensor requires the door to already be open and cannot be used for access control.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The signal needs to come from the door HANDLE to tell the vehicle what you're trying to do. Proximity key systems have touch sensors on the door handle so you can tell the car exactly when you want to lock and unlock. Tesla's system can use the handle to tell the car you want to unlock it, but doesn't have a button to manually lock, which is why they use walk away lock. A door ajar sensor requires the door to already be open and cannot be used for access control.
Why do you say that?

Proximity presents handles. Vehicle can enter "on" state when door is opened. Why do you think that needs any electronics IN the handle?

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why do you say that?

Proximity presents handles. Vehicle can enter "on" state when door is opened. Why do you think that needs any electronics IN the handle?
The problem is that the Rivian relies completely on the Bluetooth proximity to control the lock actuation and startup sequence. So as you walk through your house, crossing in and out of Bluetooth range, the truck is flipping the door handles between locked and unlocked, sleeping and awake. It doesn't have the secondary (confirming) input from the handle that says "I'm ready to actually use my vehicle now, please unlock and start booting up".

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Isn't Tesla successful with proximity unlocking?

Newer Iphone is likely going to be best with proximity locking, as those devices will always get test first by a premium car maker.
Tesla is great with the fob proximity unlocking but no on the phone - manual unlock on phone only - at least on my 2017.
Sponsored