First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
On the flip side, there is a large contingent of EV buyers, myself included, who won’t buy an EV that features leather seats. There’s nothing sustainable or ethical about covering interiors in animal skin.
But using fossil fuels to make vinyl is somehow sustainable?
Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I understand your point of view, but there is a large chunk of the population who disagree with you. When I made the sustainability argument his response was that it seemed like a waste to simply discard the hides of the animals raised for food. I think we’ve strayed far enough off-topic that we should start a new thread in a different area if you want to discuss the merits of using and consuming animals versus the merits of not using and consuming animals.
Yes, you’re right. We have strayed off-topic, and that was not my intention. I’m happy to continue this conversation in another thread, and I understand differing perspectives on this, as well. I am vegan, my wife is not, and my kids are too young to decide themselves so they also are not. We all coexist just fine.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

But using fossil fuels to make vinyl is somehow sustainable?
It’s a step in the right direction. Much like the process of making batteries. Progress starts somewhere and the technology is immature. We can already make durable leather products out of plants. I’m sure we will see these kinds of plant-based, leather products in Rivians someday.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Your screen capture of the Rivian pricing is so old it still shows two trim options, hardly a fair comparison. And pre-March 1 2022 pricing, if I remember correctly. Just use a Tesla Cyberturck announcement pricing from several years ago also. You really need to compare current pricing on the vehicles, not prices last year or two years ago.

Sponsored

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
Your screen capture of the Rivian pricing is so old it still shows two trim options, hardly a fair comparison. And pre-March 1 2022 pricing, if I remember correctly. Just use a Tesla Cyberturck announcement pricing from several years ago also. You really need to compare current pricing on the vehicles, not prices last year or two years ago.
Here is a May 25, 2023 article with a table in it:

Rivian R1T R1S The Competition: 2024 Silverado EV Reviews Are Here FtbMkuK

Via: https://insideevs.com/news/668956/2023-rivian-r1t-prices-range/

MotorTrend: "2023 Rivian R1T"
Rivian R1T R1S The Competition: 2024 Silverado EV Reviews Are Here w1pNfRC

Via: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/rivian/r1t/

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Getting off the leather vs Leatherette? train and back to the vehicle....

Considering the dealership angle with regards to the MSRP* 79,990usd price, are there provisions in place to stop dealers from cranking the price beyond 90k? Any Ford gasoline work trucks (company wise) are in the 60-70k Canadian dollar range, not the 110-130k range, so the "working man's EV" branding kinda goes out the window.

Also, what Rivian is (speculation here) doing with the enduro Max Pack efficiency wise with a 165kWh pack in comparison, It's crazy that the 450mile vehicle requires roughly another 60kWh to push that extra 50 miles.

Biggest positive is the architecture supports faster charging without the same thermal buildup found in a Rivian or Ford. The downside is that battery isn't nearly as efficient with that chasis and will cost more to run.

Sponsored

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Considering the dealership angle with regards to the MSRP* 79,990usd price, are there provisions in place to stop dealers from cranking the price beyond 90k?
In most States of the US it is illegal for the OEM to price cap the price of new vehicles.

There is also no OEM imposed floor.

A year from now Silverado EV 4T WT could be selling for a $10k discount.

Legacy OEMs don't offer subsidies to dealers for the losers that can't move off the dealer lot. Why should they be allowed price cap the winners?

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
The biggest issue I see for a work truck is payload. 1400 lbs? Or did I read it wrong?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The biggest issue I see for a work truck is payload. 1400 lbs? Or did I read it wrong?
Not much better than my Hummer EV was. Kinda surprising.
Rivian R1T R1S The Competition: 2024 Silverado EV Reviews Are Here 1687867851037

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
In most States of the US it is illegal for the OEM to price cap the price of new vehicles.

There is also no OEM imposed floor.

A year from now Silverado EV 4T WT could be selling for a $10k discount.

Legacy OEMs don't offer subsidies to dealers for the losers that can't move off the dealer lot. Why should they be allowed price cap the winners?
Exactly why the dealership model is a joke.
Sponsored