timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can understand Rivian not wanting to loan out a truck for an extended review. However, I'd expect TFL to be invited to attend the media test event they held in the mountains since that's right in their backyard. I haven't watched the video, but that would be considered a snub if it wasn't even offered.
Sponsored

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Why do people care about TFL this much? Their content quality looks just as low as I remember it the last time I watched one of their videos like 6 years ago.

If I was Rivian, there’s a list a mile long of other more respected journalists and even other YouTubers I’d give my first-ever production model car to first before TFL…

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Last I checked, rivianforums.com was also not invited to media day. Since I post comments here and tens of people read them, that basically means that I am a citizen journalist. (And so are all of you.) I am super pissed that we were snubbed. This will not stand.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Last I checked, rivianforums.com was also not invited to media day. Since I post comments here and tens of people read them, that basically means that I am a citizen journalist. (And so are all of you.) I am super pissed that we were snubbed. This will not stand.

*Table Flips* You are right good sir!

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
These guys need to get some cheese to complete their whine party.

They talk about the arrogance of tech companies, then proceed with thier own arrogant and self-righteous rant. "We have the gauntlet, the interstate, amazing trails, blah, blah, blah... How could Rivian not worship us? "

Get a clue TFL guys - It's Rivian's football game right now, it's the first quarter, they have the ball, and they get to call the plays, duh. That doesn't mean they are snubbing TFL, and it certainly does not mean Rivian is snubbing TFL Fanbois, like you arrogantly claimed.

These guys are dead to me.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think the funniest thing about this whole debacle is that TFL is complaining that Rivian invited only journalists that will give them positive reviews, while less than a week ago they called a slightly lifted Silverado with a standard engine a "first ever" "game changer".

No guys, it's you who are the corporate shills.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

I've seen their videos a few times but they give off a cocky attitude to me even though I see them as very amateurish, they state what they think are specs or facts of some vehicles sometimes where what they are stating is their opinion not facts, I also find it kind of hard to believe that they say they have been trying to get a Rivian for a long time when in a video a few months ago, they ran into one on the road, and they stated some wrong facts from the vehicle, nothing bad as it was pricing and where the factory was located, but as a "journalist" I could assure you I would be doing some serious homework on a company before I reach out to them to test drive their vehicle. Just my opinion though.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US!

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I wonder if TFL guys were invited to the Ford’s Lightning event in Denver?

Sponsored

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I'd caveat this as well in that A LOT of major car review outlets (like MT) have done an absolute shit job of reviewing EVs for years, and haven't put much effort into understanding them. There's a reason so many people on here watch OutofSpec reviews for EV cars reviews, and it's not because the major "legacy" auto reviewers have done a fantastic job with their homework over the years.
I was looking seriously at the new Hyundai Santa Cruz. Did a lot of research. I was surprised how many times TFL reported something incorrectly about that vehicle, especially after they had access to it and the company. They didn’t dot i’s or cross t’s. It turned me off to them.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Just actually watched the video to see what they had to say, and let me tell you I will never get that 18 minutes of my life back. Talk about sour grapes.

If I want to listen to an adult complain for 18 minutes about not being paid attention to I'll actually listen to my wife when I get home.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Absolutely. And people form their opinions based on those decisions, which is their right to do.

I don't have a horse in this fight. I only heard of TFL through a post on this forum. It seems some people do value their opinion, as amateur as it may be. Since that number of people is small, Rivian probably doesn't give a shit. If Rivian snubbed motor trend, it would again be 100 percent their right and decision to do so, and again people would have their right to form opinions about those decisions. Just the way it goes.

PS our R1S configs store almost identical, that's a nice look
Absolutely. But just step back and read what people are complaining and giving their opinion about - as if RIVIAN owes us anything - they dont! Hell, I didn't know who TFL before I read this post. We all decided to give them our $1k deposit in the hopes of being a part of EV automotive history. I was this close of buying a Tesla Y last November, (hell I think that Tesla sale guy still wants a piece of me), but at the last minute I stopped the whole process, and decided on Rivian. I knew then that it was going to be a lesson in patience, and boy has it been. But you know what, I made the decision that this was going to take time and it worth the wait. The automotive industry is still upside down with supply and demand delays and we haven't seen the last of it, but RIVIAN has accomplished a major milestone, and I support how they did it. None of us are perfect, and we all have opinions, but lets just keep things in perspective and stay frosty! Hell, when the company is called Kenny or John John Motors, we too can do what we want - when we want. But until then, DO YOUR THING RIVIAN - there is nothing else in the market today that touches what you have done. BRAVO!

p.s. If people dont like it, they could always buy a Prius or a CyberTruck. Oh wait, the CyberTruck isn't being produced to maybe late next year (2023), after waiting since November 21st, 2019!!! (ROT-ROW)

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Where out of my busy week's schedule should I find the time to personally reply to every one of the 40+ recruiters that contact me?

No, ignoring things you aren't interested in shouldn't be considered as not professional.
random Emails from a recruiter is not the same as a PR department not responding to media requests.

if they were dumb enough to be emailing random people that work there then sure your bad analogy would apply but if you have a publicity department with contact info telling people to reach out for details and then don’t have at least a canned response for a rejection then you’re bad at your job and doing it wrong.

it takes nothing these days to set up an automated rejection system with a two line response. You give the software some criteria and it’ll auto reject. Use an intern to check the edge cases and reject or approve and off you go.
Sponsored