LarsR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, AMG E63s Wagon, A-M Vantage, Tesla S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Does anyone have experience with the Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFY768S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1)?

I purchased one and reached out to Rivian support to see if i would have any issues using it and they told me that they do not endorse third party adapters.

I figured this could in very handy at Tesla (L2) destination chargers but have not dared use it yet after hearing stories about incompatible chargers bricking Rivians.

LR
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does anyone have experience with the Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFY768S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1)?

I purchased one and reached out to Rivian support to see if i would have any issues using it and they told me that they do not endorse third party adapters.

I figured this could in very handy at Tesla (L2) destination chargers but have not dared use it yet after hearing stories about incompatible chargers bricking Rivians.

LR
I have used that unit for a couple of years now with zero issues.

Sponsored

ath2001

First Name
Anand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management Consulting
All you need is the adapter that conver to NACs to J1772 as mentioned by @branky3 and others on this thread. Been using it for more than a year now with zero issues.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

LR

Is there a Tesla adptr. that does level 3 charging?

Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

Rivian doesn't have access to the supercharger network yet.
I get it, Tesla supper chargers are the DC, and this adapter is Tesla, but not Tesla supper charger ? or is it the same scocket, but Rivian needs the "Password" to get the level 3 out of that adapter?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I get it, Tesla supper chargers are the DC, and this adapter is Tesla, but not Tesla supper charger ? or is it the same scocket, but Rivian needs the "Password" to get the level 3 out of that adapter?
This is a NACS to J1772 which isn't the same as NACS to CCS. Rivian will be sending out a NACS to CCS adapter needed for supercharger access and there are a couple of companies that should be shipping them early next year.

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've used the Lectron one (as well as some of their other products) and they have all worked great. I'm using it daily now in our garage as well and had no issues at a few Tesla destination chargers at hotels.
You will likely find a ton of options out there and on Amazon for this kind of adapter, but be careful just going with the cheapest one. While L2 AC charging is lower voltage and amperage than DC fast charging, it can still be dangerous, especially in your home, so do some research and look for ones with official safety certification. It's not worth saving $15 to have it melt or brick your vehicle or worse.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
BTW, that Lectron adapter that is linked is only rated for 40 amps. From the Amazon site :

• QUICK CHARGING - Our Level 2 ev charger adapter is 3 to 4 times faster. With 40 amps of maximum current and 250V of maximum voltage, you can fully charge in a matter of hours.
Lots of Level 2 chargers will put out 48 Amps. Do not use the adapter with 48 Amps!

I use a TeslaTap Mini. More expensive, smaller and more compact. Full 48 Amp support.
Sponsored