Sponsored

Terrible QC! How is service experience?

kapaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang
Big Rivian fan and felt confident buying one based on all the positive reviews. Finally got my R1S last month and surprised at the problems piling up. Things that should have been caught pre-delivery like:
- Both rear windows loudly rub/intermittently get stuck
- DC fast charging does not work at all - gives error message. This is a problem as I live in apt with no charger.
- Rear windshield fluid slow leak leaves residue I have to wipe every couple days
- Noticeable cosmetic defects (I am seeing this is common)
Luckily I have a service appt next week so hopefully most get fixed, though worried it will take forever and not everything will be addressed. Anyone else with similar issues and able to share service experiences?
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Rivian is a new company and struggling in certain areas. I feel exterior fit and finish is one area that needs improvement, especially at the new price point.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
- The loud moaning sound is the lower middle seal on the rear window. It is molded with with a metal inner core, which can be too tight. If you lower the window all the way and wipe the seal, the noise will go away. I think the fix is a replacement of the seal. Probably not formed correctly or just too tight. Mine has that on the list for the left rear and is in for service as we speak. Neighbor that works for Rivian says it isn't very common and he mostly saw it on the EDV models with the large windows. The fix for them was this super expensive lubricant or a new seal all together. He said it only needs the grease on the EDV's as a temporary fix, because once they wear in the noise no longer occurs.

- DC fast charging is a problem, have you tried a different set of chargers?

- Does it the rear wiper leak after activating the front wiper. Not sure, but they could be on the same wiper fluid circuit and when the front it is activated, it pushes some fluid into the rear circuit.

- Cosmetic issues is one that needs to be addressed at the factory in my opinion. I personally didn't care with all the Ford's I owned, and kinda expected fitment issues. Once I was given a Mercedes rental last week, I see how good body fitment can be and wish Rivian did a better job.

Good luck... Probably 1 to 2 weeks for service appointments with multiple items to be fixed. In my case we were given a pretty nice Mercedes SUV, so I'm okay with the wait, if they are going to a good job on the fixes.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My service experience has mostly been terrible, but I think that has more to do with what the problem is (the dreaded tok) versus the problems you listed.

The problems you listed I expect them to be able to take care of fairly quickly.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

- The loud moaning sound is the lower middle seal on the rear window. It is molded with with a metal inner core, which can be too tight. If you lower the window all the way and wipe the seal, the noise will go away. I think the fix is a replacement of the seal. Probably not formed correctly or just too tight. Mine has that on the list for the left rear and is in for service as we speak. Neighbor that works for Rivian says it isn't very common and he mostly saw it on the EDV models with the large windows. The fix for them was this super expensive lubricant or a new seal all together. He said it only needs the grease on the EDV's as a temporary fix, because once they wear in the noise no longer occurs.

- DC fast charging is a problem, have you tried a different set of chargers?

- Does it the rear wiper leak after activating the front wiper. Not sure, but they could be on the same wiper fluid circuit and when the front it is activated, it pushes some fluid into the rear circuit.

- Cosmetic issues is one that needs to be addressed at the factory in my opinion. I personally didn't care with all the Ford's I owned, and kinda expected fitment issues. Once I was given a Mercedes rental last week, I see how good body fitment can be and wish Rivian did a better job.

Good luck... Probably 1 to 2 weeks for service appointments with multiple items to be fixed. In my case we were given a pretty nice Mercedes SUV, so I'm okay with the wait, if they are going to a good job on the fixes.
Did your neighbor mention if they were (or have recently) fixed the wheel alignment and body panel alignment (front hood to fender specifically)? It must be costing them in rentals and Uber credits to have these issues as they approach their third year of manufacturing.

Sponsored

Virgil T2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, CR, 22s, 2017 Model X, R1S preorder
Got mine back recently from the San Diego service center and found all 6 of the frunk tub mounting bolts loose in the frunk tub. I installed them myself after figuring out where they came from.
Rivian R1T R1S Terrible QC! How is service experience? IMG_7990
Rivian R1T R1S Terrible QC! How is service experience? IMG_7991

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

- DC fast charging does not work at all - gives error message. This is a problem as I live in apt with no charger.
Probably a bad central gateway module:

Rivian R1T R1S Terrible QC! How is service experience? IMG_2295
Sponsored