First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
As has been the case forever now, it's just not ok to some people if you say Rivian is missin things.

I'm still ULTRA EXCITED to take possession of my R1T, but can still acknowledge there are some things S and T are missing that vehicles at this price point (and lower) have that make them feel necessary.

- If the Fisker can have a huge glass roof that opens...well Rivian can.

- HUD is simply standard at this point, whether or not you use it is irrelevant. I rarely look at my Palisade HUD, but my PALISADE has it, so...

- Turn signal dash camera is a miss. This one does actually bother me and will take adjustment. It's a big safety feature and has been great. And no it can't be turned on with an OTA because the mirror cameras don't point in the right direction.

- For the S to not have power 3rd row buttons like every other new 3 row SUV is just ridiculous. Doesn't matter if you use them personally, they should be there because that's now standard.

Again there should be no technology feature that my Palisade or my wife's Sonata has that a Rivian does not..... yet I can't wait for my delivery email.
Sponsored

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
As has been the case forever now, it's just not ok to some people if you say Rivian is missin things.

I'm still ULTRA EXCITED to take possession of my R1T, but can still acknowledge there are some things S and T are missing that vehicles at this price point (and lower) have that make them feel necessary.

- HUD is simply standard at this point, whether or not you use it is irrelevant. I rarely look at my Palisade HUD, but my PALISADE has it, so...

- Turn signal dash camera is a miss. This one does actually bother me and will take adjustment. It's a big safety feature and has been great. And no it can't be turned on with an OTA because the mirror cameras don't point in the right direction.

- For the S to not have power 3rd row buttons like every other new 3 row SUV is just ridiculous. Doesn't matter if you use them personally, they should be there because that's now standard.

Again there should be no technology feature that my Palisade or my wife's Sonata has that a Rivian does not..... yet I can't wait for my delivery email.
Didn't even mention how bad Driver + is. But I just want a standard cruise with better lane keep for long drives. Anything not a long drive, I want to play with my new toy.

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
My wife is coming from a grand Cherokee that was way ahead of its time in 2914 when she got it. It actually has features the rivian still doesn’t 9 years later. 125k miles on a hemi and no issues outside of normal maintenance and a couple broken things here and there covered by extended warranty.

If I had my way I’d talk her into the rivian then trading it in for a sequoia TRD Pro. Our family needs require lots of room

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My wife is coming from a grand Cherokee that was way ahead of its time in 2914 when she got it. It actually has features the rivian still doesn’t 9 years later. 125k miles on a hemi and no issues outside of normal maintenance and a couple broken things here and there covered by extended warranty.

If I had my way I’d talk her into the rivian then trading it in for a sequoia TRD Pro. Our family needs require lots of room
Just curious what features? I actually. Have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland that I will probably be getting rid of now that I have the R1S. There is nothing in the GC that I ever used in 10 years not in the R1S except for XM Radio.

As a side note, the R1S rear seats do recline and on a 38 hour drive from FL to CA in the R1S I never once thought man I wish these seats had a massager.

It is nice to be able to go over 450 real world miles in the GC though between fill ups. Although these days about 2.5 hours is around where my body wants a stretch and bio break.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T

How dare you say Rivian is missing things!!!!

Kidding, and I fully agree that particularly the turn signal camera is a miss. I’ve been driving my T for a week now and I’m constantly glancing at the screen looking for the camera view. Greater LA area traffic really makes me miss the view. The indicators in the mirrors are ok, but it’s not nearly as useful IMHO.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
ICE adds a lot of features as these vehicles became commoditized. Lamborghini uses a lot of VW group parts and simply pastes over the part number with their sticker.

EVs are not commoditized yet. That's why Tesla can get away with few hardware features relative to their competitors. Tesla replaces these hardware features with better software features at zero incremental costs.

So in EV you get a lot of features/doodads from manufacturers selling at a negative margin. The issue is not whether Rivian needs to add cost. The issue is whether Rivian should have designed a lower cost R1 more like Tesla.

If Rivian goes out of business your not getting the fancy moonroof repaired under warranty.

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering

I think it's ok to say Rivians are missing features.

But it won't be fair without acknowledgeing that R1T and S offer different technology features/packages. Investment from Rivian is offering quad motors, independent air suspension, hydraulic roll control etc. I am sure it will be hard to find some of these features in any of the other brands at this price point.

Features like HUD are a definite miss. But HUD is not standard. Most car companies offer HUD as an upgrade option or upgraded tech package.

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR

But it won't be fair without acknowledgeing that R1T and S offer different technology features/packages. Investment from Rivian is offering quad motors, independent air suspension, hydraulic roll control etc. I am sure it will be hard to find some of these features in any of the other brands at this price point.

Features like HUD are a definite miss. But HUD is not standard. Most car companies offer

Features like HUD are a definite miss. But HUD is not standard. Most car companies offer HUD as an upgrade option or upgraded tech package.
I don't disagree with you. And I'd hope that as Rivian goes to in house motors and battery advances, etc bring costs down.... Many of the missing things will be added or offered in the eventual R1 refresh.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Agree on the fact that it’s not possible to say Rivian may have missed the mark on quite a few things. Not a lot of of objectivity here.

When it comes to price point, for those of us locked with the old pricing, it’s true. For any buyer who order later, it’s not.

I think that Rivian should have spent a bit more time on some features and should even have kept dumb stuff like tank turn (how often would you use this anyway, but the 2 or 3 times you would might be really fun or actually useful).

I migh end up like most once we get ours as I did with our Tesla.
Sponsored