Technology/Feature Gaps

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
I’m sure this has been discussed a ton already, but we test drove a new Jeep just to compare things given we are about to make a large investment, and I was quite surprised at the things offered for another brand we don’t get as Rivian owners:

1. functional moonroof
2. Heads up display
3. Dash screen (wtf is this anyway)
4. Bucket rear seats and console
5. Reclining rear seats
6. Dynamic (moving) headlights
7. Massage seats
8. Mcintosh system
9. Parking assist

I’m sure I’m missing some, but these seem like some big misses just to go with a fully electric vehicle. If you are spending 80k+, what is another 2-3k in fuel if you have these creature comforts?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
And yet I still have zero interest in any Jeep. Of that list, I would never miss any of those things except possibly the stereo system. I haven't heard either but I suspect the McIntosh is step up from the Meridien.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

In the 1980's, we had word processor wars. There were three big players, and all three of them wanted to gain market share - but were frustrated by how locked in people were to their existing word processors.

People with A wouldn't switch away because A had features x, y and z and the others didn't. People with B wouldn't switch away because it had u, v, w. People with C wouldn't switch away because of r, s and t. Everyone looked at what they'd lose, but mostly ignored what they might gain. It's a natural tendency.

I would imagine that one could find features on any car - even a really cheap one - that any arbitrary car car (even a really expensive one) doesn't have. Threads like this are very common on the Tesla forums. Just make sure you consider the differentiating features on each side. Different people will care about different features, so go with what works for you - no single vehicle ever has or ever will work for everyone.

For me, the driving experience and ownership convenience of driving EV are big enough features that I can't imagine any gas car ever pulling me away. It doesn't sound like those are a big feature draw for you, though, which is fine.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m sure this has been discussed a ton already, but we test drove a new Jeep just to compare things given we are about to make a large investment, and I was quite surprised at the things offered for another brand we don’t get as Rivian owners:

1. functional moonroof
2. Heads up display
5. Reclining rear seats
7. Massage seats
8. Mcintosh system
9. Parking assist

I’m sure I’m missing some, but these seem like some big misses just to go with a fully electric vehicle. If you are spending 80k+, what is another 2-3k in fuel if you have these creature comforts?
I know some people love those features, but I would personally take the EV performance and never having to buy gas again in a truck that is still 1000 times more luxurious than my Tacoma vs any feature an ICE vehicle tries to offer.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1. functional moonroof
2. Heads up display
5. Reclining rear seats
7. Massage seats
8. Mcintosh system
9. Parking assist

Did you take it on the freeway?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Yes of course. Can’t touch the R1 in terms of performance etc. I’m just stating I (we) are surprised at some of these gaps we really like to have.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Definitely miss opening sunroof and in R1T the opening back window. My Ram is perfect in this regard. Same size panoramic view as R1T but has motorized sliding shade, monnroof opens about half or vents and back window is great foe venting on 70 degree days.

Everything else I have in other Vehicles and never really use.

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Just buy what fits your want's & needs. Nothing on your list is important to me. Maybe 1 item could be an additional want for me but not enough to make me choose a ICE Jeep.

You do you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Oh don’t get me wrong. We are definitely getting our R1S in a couple months (hopefully) but we may swap it for a profit and better fit for what we need.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Carl on Munro made a good point in his last video. One can't compare an ICE vehicle and a BEV based on interior quality at a same price point. BEV's at the same price point or similar, to an ICE alternative, cost more to bring to market at this time. So if the price point is the same, but the BEV has a vastly better drivetrain, something somewhere has to give. That give is in things like your list.

I think that is what we are seeing in that new Lexus BEV. Because Lexus likely had a line in sand they wouldn't go below on the build quality, interior materials, etc... they instead are underperforming in the BEV range and power.

But...that said...Rivian delivered WAY above its price class in all things except the items on your list. Those were the give. But the take....is everything else that you do get....is truly AMAZING!

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer

1. functional moonroof
2. Heads up display
5. Reclining rear seats
7. Massage seats
8. Mcintosh system
9. Parking assist

This is my $.02 and my comments on these "features". First off, I wouldn't trade my Rivian for a Jeep any day of the week, so maybe I'm biased here.

1. functional moonroof - Had moonroof on my Volvo....never used it, so don't miss it. Give me glass roof.
2. Heads up display - This would be cool, but I just consider it a perk and not a must have.
3. Dash screen (wtf is this anyway) - No idea what this even is, so I won't comment.
4. Bucket rear seats and console - Bucket rear seats are nice, but again a nice feature, but not deal breaker.
5. Reclining rear seats - Again these are nice to have, but mostly because it makes it easier for my daughters car seat.
6. Dynamic (moving) headlights - Had these on my Volvo (and other vehicles), but don't really miss them at all.
7. Massage seats - I think these would be nice, but again not a deal breaker.
8. Mcintosh system - Not sure how this compares, so won't give any comment.
9. Parking assist - I would not trust this at all, so I'll park it myself.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

FWIW Rivians originally had dynamic directional headlights. I think they ended up dropping it because the fixed headlight throw was enough to make them unnecessary and just more costly and complex for a startup.

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

Oh don’t get me wrong. We are definitely getting our R1S in a couple months (hopefully) but we may swap it for a profit and better fit for what we need.
Sounds like the feature sets are what u r looking for, not about what the R1S is all about.

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
New Jeep's are nice.
Deal breaker for me was they don't have the hybrid version in grand Cherokee XL with 7 seats.

I didn't want to go full ICE in 2023, wanted 7 seats but not a minivan.

The features on your list are nice to have, some of them are not even new, I had a moonroof on my 2008 mazda. Didn't even notice it was there for the last couple of years. Looking forward to the glass roof.

my basic deal breaker was having a 7 seat full EV or hybrid. Didn't have any options so stuck with the R1S.

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
New Jeep's are nice.
Deal breaker for me was they don't have the hybrid version in grand Cherokee XL with 7 seats.

I didn't want to go full ICE in 2023, wanted 7 seats but not a minivan.

The features on your list are nice to have, some of them are not even new, I had a moonroof on my 2008 mazda. Didn't even notice it was there for the last couple of years. Looking forward to the glass roof.

my basic deal breaker was having a 7 seat full EV or hybrid. Didn't have any options so stuck with the R1S.
P.s

I also have a wrangler and every time I take it to the dealership they tell me it's a min 1000 $ repair job. Looking forward to a different ownership experience.
Sponsored