Tax Credit

ch33rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 turbo S/Fisker Ocean reservation/Altima
Occupation
Finance
signed the binding purchase agreement in 2022. Picked up my truck on 5/12, immediately amended my return that evening via turbotax. got the check plus some interest earlier this week.
Sponsored

OP
OP

momoslomo

First Name
Mohsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Clubs

signed the binding purchase agreement in 2022. Picked up my truck on 5/12, immediately amended my return that evening via turbotax. got the check plus some interest earlier this week.

Awesome! Thank you!

PoundF00lish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi all, I'm curious if anyone who has received the $7500 tax credit using their binding purchase agreement has a 2023 model? I'm curious because I signed a BPA in August 2022 and recently took possession of a 2023 model which isn't listed on the IRS's website of credit-eligible models: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deducti...d-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2022-and-before

Wondering if any others claimed their credit with a 2023 model on Form 8936, or if others have had issues with the process despite the technicality. Thanks!

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Has anyone filed an amended return using TurboTax? If so, i'd be curious how to actually do that. Simple guidance would be appreciated!

- Scott

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
My experience was almost identical.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
My experience was almost identical.
Did y'all have 2022 or 2023 model year vehicles?

Has anyone filed an amended return using TurboTax? If so, i'd be curious how to actually do that. Simple guidance would be appreciated!

- Scott
When you open TurboTax, don't hit "Continue" or "Get Started" or whatever the big button says. Instead, look for a text link to amend a return. From there, you'll make the changes necessary for the EV credit (under deductions and credits), and then step through the filing process again. Before filing, make sure it has prepared a 1040X and an 8936.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

- Scott
I addition to the other stuff mentioned here, after starting the amendment, I had to search for the 8936 form to get to it. Might have been under the Help link where it starts a computer chat. Took a few minutes to find it. After that it guides you thru.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Did y'all have 2022 or 2023 model year vehicles?

When you open TurboTax, don't hit "Continue" or "Get Started" or whatever the big button says. Instead, look for a text link to amend a return. From there, you'll make the changes necessary for the EV credit (under deductions and credits), and then step through the filing process again. Before filing, make sure it has prepared a 1040X and an 8936.
Thank you!!

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Just completed mine in turbo tax. Spent quite a bit of time with their help service and came to the conclusion that you should enter 08/15/2022 for both the purchase and in service dates. Took a matter of minutes to complete the filing.

Sponsored

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
2023 for me too

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Hi all, I'm curious if anyone who has received the $7500 tax credit using their binding purchase agreement has a 2023 model? I'm curious because I signed a BPA in August 2022 and recently took possession of a 2023 model which isn't listed on the IRS's website of credit-eligible models: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deducti...d-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2022-and-before

Wondering if any others claimed their credit with a 2023 model on Form 8936, or if others have had issues with the process despite the technicality. Thanks!
Yes. And received my check.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just completed mine in turbo tax. Spent quite a bit of time with their help service and came to the conclusion that you should enter 08/15/2022 for both the purchase and in service dates. Took a matter of minutes to complete the filing.
TurboTax is clearly not set up well for the Form 8936 or the IRA's transition rule. There's only 1 date on the form itself, so TurboTax asking for 2 dates just confuses things if they're not then going to word the date questions in the correct way to make them relevant to the question at hand.

Kiwi01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Acura MDX, Porsche 911
Occupation
Retired
I dont mean to hijack the thread ... quick question along these lines ... I have a BPA and hope to take delivery of R1S in September. Tax credits for 2022 will not be useable for me ... a rare occurrence. Could I disregard the BPA and just file for credits that would be available in 2023?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I dont mean to hijack the thread ... quick question along these lines ... I have a BPA and hope to take delivery of R1S in September. Tax credits for 2022 will not be useable for me ... a rare occurrence. Could I disregard the BPA and just file for credits that would be available in 2023?
Yep! The "transition rule" is a "may" not a "must" or "shall". You will, of course, only currently get $3750, but that's better than nothing if you're not eligible for any credits in 2022. (or if you're eligible for less than $3750 in 2022, really)
Sponsored