Sponsored

Colorado Tax Credits

gokcabaga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (reserved)
Clubs

hoping that they use the Empty Weight which would make the credit $5K, not $2K.
Hopefully that works out for you. The GVWR<8500 law that would give $5k back also has an $80k MSRP limit, so wouldn't work for post-hike people such as myself.
Sponsored

Warmoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S GW 20
This morning I called CO DOR(303-238-7378 then selected option 1,1,1,4,0) because I wanted to resolve the denied letter and reason for adjustment (see photo). I thought for sure that it was because my accountant filed for the $5000 and selected the wrong vehicle. After being on hold for an hour. I was assisted by a wonderful young man (Benito), he even set my account up on www.colorado.gov/revenueonline. He told me that the reason it was rejected was that we did not attach my registration (didn't know that we had to). So we worked together to attach it electronically and he said to allow 3-4 weeks for processing and then to check the website for any status changes. Here is the kicker, my registration does not show a GVWR (8532) only the Empty Weight of 7033. I am hoping that they use the Empty Weight which would make the credit $5K, not $2K.

Stay Tuned!
Ron

CO letter.png

R1S Winter.jpg
Hope it works for you in total. I did call the DOR, but because I have not filed yet I was seeking clarification.... and all I got was "we're too busy, call another time".

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Yours is heavier than mine, at 6977.. Doubt that gets me anything. But. you never know.

DBL-R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Ford F-150, Rivian R1S
Occupation
CEO & Managing Member of Peak EV Solutions
Clubs

Hopefully that works out for you. The GVWR<8500 law that would give $5k back also has an $80k MSRP limit, so wouldn't work for post-hike people such as myself.
Luckily I had pre price hike, my MSRP was <$80K

Gassious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Mercedes Benz GL550
Clubs

This morning I called CO DOR(303-238-7378 then selected option 1,1,1,4,0) because I wanted to resolve the denied letter and reason for adjustment (see photo). I thought for sure that it was because my accountant filed for the $5000 and selected the wrong vehicle. After being on hold for an hour. I was assisted by a wonderful young man (Benito), he even set my account up on www.colorado.gov/revenueonline. He told me that the reason it was rejected was that we did not attach my registration (didn't know that we had to). So we worked together to attach it electronically and he said to allow 3-4 weeks for processing and then to check the website for any status changes. Here is the kicker, my registration does not show a GVWR (8532) only the Empty Weight of 7033. I am hoping that they use the Empty Weight which would make the credit $5K, not $2K.

Stay Tuned!
Ron

CO letter.png

R1S Winter.jpg
I received a denial of CO EV tax credit today. I resubmitted through the RevenueOnline website. I believe that the DOR only has the information on Rivians from the CO DMV. Based on my CO Title and registration for my R1S, these only list, as you said, the empty vehicle weight of 6891# which is the reason for the automatic rejection.

In my "File a Protest", I included a picture of my Safety Compliance Certification Label or door jam label which clearly shows the GVWR of 8532#.

Rivian R1T R1S Colorado Tax Credits Rivian SCC Label2

Sponsored

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I received a denial of CO EV tax credit today. I resubmitted through the RevenueOnline website. I believe that the DOR only has the information on Rivians from the CO DMV. Based on my CO Title and registration for my R1S, these only list, as you said, the empty vehicle weight of 6891# which is the reason for the automatic rejection.

In my "File a Protest", I included a picture of my Safety Compliance Certification Label or door jam label which clearly shows the GVWR of 8532#.

Rivian SCC Label2.jpg
I'm guessing you got the same generic "The credit has been disallowed. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) was not in the allowable range for the vehicle type selected......" as noted in my post of March 4.

I would hope they would understand the difference between GVWR and empty weight, but who knows.

As I said, their notice is so generic, we are only left to guess what exactly their problem is with us claiming credits. It is all a big waste of time, but you have to file an appeal of some sort in order to preserve your claim of a refund.

My appeal was filed March 5 and I'm still waiting to hear back. My experience with Colorado DOR is that calling them doesn't really move the issue forward, but I may give up waiting at some point and call.

I will update if and when I hear from them.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How annoying that this is a common problem. I recently submitted my return and proactively attached a copy of my registration (which does include the GVWR) and my purchase summary on the Revenue Online site. Hoping it will get approved but fully expecting the rejection notice and associated hassle.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

How annoying that this is a common problem. I recently submitted my return and proactively attached a copy of my registration (which does include the GVWR) and my purchase summary on the Revenue Online site. Hoping it will get approved but fully expecting the rejection notice and associated hassle.
GVWR or empty weight? My registration definitely just has empty weight. But I'm planning to do the same thing and just attaching registration and a photo of the sticker.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
GVWR or empty weight? My registration definitely just has empty weight. But I'm planning to do the same thing and just attaching registration and a photo of the sticker.
Mine shows both (7031 empty and 8532 GVWR). I had a photo of my sticker ready to go but was pleasantly surprised to find the GVWR on the registration. Seems like I may be in the minority having it there.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Mine shows both (7031 empty and 8532 GVWR). I had a photo of my sticker ready to go but was pleasantly surprised to find the GVWR on the registration. Seems like I may be in the minority having it there.
My registration did not show the GVWR, but I didn't catch it when filing my return. CO Dept of Revenue declined the rebate. I mailed a dispute letter with a photo of the B-pillar data plate and am waiting to see if that will work.

Sponsored

alextakesphotos

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / 911
So I might have mentioned that I got the same denial everyone is getting. I submitted my appeal with a photo of the registration and photo of the sticker by the door jam. I just got this letter today so it looks like the took it and everyone who did the same should be seeing a response soon.
Rivian R1T R1S Colorado Tax Credits IMG_5054

girons

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Dual Motor, Large Pack
Clubs

That's great news, thanks for sharing. I just submitted my protest, hoping I get the same result.

TPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Toyota Sequoia, KTM 690 Enduro R
Turbo tax now prompts users to submit documentation for this at the time of their filing. I no longer have my original R1S so couldn't photo the door jam (VIN wouldn't match if I used my current R1S). I submitted bill of sale, copy of registration (which just shows empty weight), and a copy of owner's manual page showing R1S GVWR. Hope they take it!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So I might have mentioned that I got the same denial everyone is getting. I submitted my appeal with a photo of the registration and photo of the sticker by the door jam. I just got this letter today so it looks like the took it and everyone who did the same should be seeing a response soon.
IMG_5054.jpg
So I submitted my taxes and included the registration and door jam sticker with the online e-filler attachment and STILL got the denial letter in the mail. WTAF is wrong with these people processing returns? Seems like every Rivian is just getting a blanket denial and no one seems to be getting any answers.

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

IMG_5054.jpg
So you applied for the Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit (Less than 8,500 GVWR) instead of the Innovative Truck Credit Light Duty passenger credit > 8,500 GVWR) and that got approved?
Sponsored