Sponsored

Suspension Sag - What are normal operation expectations?

Metaphor

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Hey all - I was on vacation for 10 days and when I returned home by front suspension was completely bottomed out. Waking the vehicle did nothing indicating that the air reservoir was also empty. This raises the question what is normal operation expectations? Should the truck be able to maintain air compression in the suspension for a week?

Every morning I drive, the compressor needs to fire up when I start driving - This leads me to believe that there is a slow leak - Im just not sure what is "Normal" and thought I would ask the other inmates about their experiences.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I would take pictures and report to CS/SC. I would imagine if back suspension is able to maintain so should front suspension. There have been reports of specific sides sagging and as a result SC finding leaks but both sides, either some very not great QC or bad luck.

How long have you had your truck for? Curious approx VIN?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Mine does seem to lose pressure, over time. It's not uncommon for my compressor to fire up in the morning, and it will cycle several times during my commute.

If I stop at a store or at work for a few hours it does seem to retain some air... But it also does seem to need to pump itself up regularly.

Is that good operation for a long service life? I do not know. Rivian has told me it is "normal" but they've also sworn that lots of other truly-broken stuff was "normal" so I wouldn't trust that "normal" is "good". That said, I also cannot say that it is definitely "bad", either.

I do believe that the inconsistent air suspension is at least a contributing factor to the inability of Rivian to align many of our trucks.

OP
OP

Metaphor

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
How long have you had your truck for? Curious approx VIN?
VIN 6xxx - Had since September 22. 3K miles on it.

Here is what it looked like when i got home FWIW - and thanks for the replies so far! :)
Rivian R1T R1S Suspension Sag - What are normal operation expectations? IMG_3323

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
VIN 6xxx - Had since September 22. 3K miles on it.

Here is what it looked like when i got home FWIW - and thanks for the replies so far! :)
IMG_3323.jpg
Yikes! Low rider 😅. I would definitely report it, whether it gets somewhere is up to Rivian.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Definitely worth submitting a ticket to have them look at it. Seems like the majority of trucks don't do this, but a growing list of people seem to be experiencing the same thing.

OP
OP

Metaphor

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
When i put in a ticket, the CS agent handling the initial call seemed to be very interested in the temperatures outside. They indicated the data they are seeing has a correlation with these behaviors to low/freezing temperatures. Scheduling a SC visit in the next few weeks as this isnt a critical show stopping problem for me right now. Thanks all - Will keep the progress posted here.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

when i put in a ticket the CS agent handling the initial call, seemed to be very interested in the temperatures outsite. The indicated the data they are seeing has a correlation with these behaviors to low/freezing temperatures. Scheduling a SC visit in the next few weeks as this isnt a critical show stopping problem for me right now. Thanks all - Will keep the progress posted here.
0 F outside today here, my compressor ran for a LONG time after I got into the truck this morning and lots of complaints about it still being in kneel mode. Has never done that before, kneel mode complaints are usually over by the time I hit the end of my road. Today was a solid minute more.

PNWRIV

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian SC told me after having my truck for a month that this "Rake" was normal. Just like all my suspension rattling was normal and my half shafts clunking and ticking were normal. What a joke, obviously this is a common problem that they don't want to try and fix.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm seeing something similar, the back seems to retain height better than the front. Was gone a week and came back to a low front end, but on both sides. Seems like it might be normal behavior since it's not leaning to any side, just down in the front.

I don't know what to expect from adjustable pneumatic suspensions so not sure if this is really normal or I got the same bad batch of front end components.

Rivian R1T R1S Suspension Sag - What are normal operation expectations? image

Rivian R1T R1S Suspension Sag - What are normal operation expectations? image
Sponsored