Sponsored

Suspension Auto Adjusting At Stoplights

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Anyone else notice this?
Yeah it fuckn sucks. šŸ¤¬ Its my number one hated thing about the Rivian right now. Mine adjusts in drive-thrus all the time and everyone who's been in the truck has noticed it. I almost feel like its getting worse the more I drive it.

Actually it does seem like a glitch IMO because the drive thru where it always does it is level. But when it adjust it makes the truck unlevel. But it seems to inconsistently make it unlevel. Like sometimes its the front, sometimes its the back. But after it adjusts the truck is noticeably leaning to one side.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah it fuckn sucks. šŸ¤¬ Its my number one hated thing about the Rivian right now. Mine adjusts in drive-thrus all the time and everyone who's been in the truck has noticed it. I almost feel like its getting worse the more I drive it.

Actually it does seem like a glitch IMO because the drive thru where it always does it is level. But when it adjust it makes the truck unlevel. But it seems to inconsistently make it unlevel. Like sometimes its the front, sometimes its the back. But after it adjusts the truck is noticeably leaning to one side.
Submit a service ticket. That's not the stoplight type adjusting we are seeing.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Submit a service ticket. That's not the stoplight type adjusting we are seeing.
It seems like its the same issue but perhaps mine is doing it more often without the hard regen. I do notice it at stoplights and stop signs as well. Even when parked. So I think it is the self leveling thing, its just awful and I feel like there's never a reason I'd want the truck doing this on its own. I could see it if there was a setting I turned on. But on by default is annoy me more and more everyday. I have so many service tickets open now. I don't even remember what I've reported to them. But I've yet to be scheduled for service on any of them so I should probably follow up on that soon šŸ˜

It helps reading what others here are experiencing so I know if its a real issue or just me.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have so many service tickets open now. I don't even remember what I've reported to them.
That's weird. They call me same day, and then follow up with a plan and a schedule within a couple of days.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's weird. They call me same day, and then follow up with a plan and a schedule within a couple of days.
I've gotten initial calls back right away. But I've never been called to schedule anything for actual service. Thinking its been a month or more now since my first ticket opened.

--actually just checked, April 6th and April 19th. So I should follow up. Been over month. Figured they would just call me when ready. I probably need to open another one for the seat recall now too.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I've gotten initial calls back right away. But I've never been called to schedule anything for actual service. Thinking its been a month or more now since my first ticket opened.

--actually just checked, April 6th and April 19th. So I should follow up. Been over month
Yeah, call and ask "wtf mate." Sounds like a mistake. Or at least a learning experience for them.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
to me this is a design flaw. Itā€™s unnecessary.
I agree. I wonder if this is a "feature" that feels like a bug. I'd rather know I'm on an incline than have the car try to adjust to always make me feel level.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I agree. I wonder if this is a "feature" that feels like a bug. I'd rather know I'm on an incline than have the car try to adjust to always make me feel level.
Iā€™ve further noticed that it seems to randomly change ride height between lowest and normal when on conserve. Iā€™ve been leaving that screen up lately and Iā€™m seeing it go between. Not sure if related or not but I think it might be.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Iā€™ve further noticed that it seems to randomly change ride height between lowest and normal when on conserve. Iā€™ve been leaving that screen up lately and Iā€™m seeing it go between. Not sure if related or not but I think it might be.
I've noticed there is often text below the right heights on the main display that says "ride height may automatically adjust to optimize better usage" (not those words, but that's the sentiment).

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
I think thatā€™s different. In conserve, it seems to switch from lowest above 33-34mph and standard below that speed. If youā€™re driving on residential speeds between 25-35mph youā€™ll see it constantly change, kind of annoying.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You don't have to leave that screen up to track it, the current ride height is displayed as bars on the driver screen directly next to the current drive mode image and it flashes when it is transitioning.

As others mentioned, it is optimizing height for range efficiency based upon primarily speed but also appears to be based upon how rough the road is. I've noticed it seems to raise itself if you hit a few bumps in a row.

My only knock of the system is I'd prefer it stayed out of the lowest ride height unless I'm on a highway as upcoming bumps are unpredictable on most roads, whether it's a pothole, train tracks or road transitions. Plus with the ATs, it's pretty tight on the lowest ride height for turns. Good news is, that ride height is only in conserve mode.

I too find the autoleveling feature at stops a bit unnecessary but not on the level of a true annoyance.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
You don't have to leave that screen up to track it, the current ride height is displayed as bars on the driver screen directly next to the current drive mode image and it flashes when it is transitioning.

As others mentioned, it is optimizing height for range efficiency based upon primarily speed but also appears to be based upon how rough the road is. I've noticed it seems to raise itself if you hit a few bumps in a row.

My only knock of the system is I'd prefer it stayed out of the lowest ride height unless I'm on a highway as upcoming bumps are unpredictable on most roads, whether it's a pothole, train tracks or road transitions. Plus with the ATs, it's pretty tight on the lowest ride height for turns. Good news is, that ride height is only in conserve mode.

I too find the autoleveling feature at stops a bit unnecessary but not on the level of a true annoyance.
Hereā€™s another issue I just noticed yesterday. Lowest setting is too low for a set of 25mph speed tables near where I live no damage but i definitely felt it hit/rub. I manually had put it in normal ten minutes earlier.
Sponsored