atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I think I would rather pull my own head off than have to stop & charge five times in one 24 hour period.
Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

My wife and I took both our EVs from Washington to Utah and back. Between the 2 cars we did 8 stops each day. So yeah, if you use your plan as a family. Itā€™s like Netflix account limiting how many devices can access that account at once. No different. So if you had a fleet you would just need to get more accounts.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Pretty sure that is a limit on the non-Tesla account for the discounts. If you do not use the Tesla account for the discount I have not seen that limit anywhere.

Traveling you can certainly use up a limit of 5 sessions in a day. In a cross country trip in my Tesla I had several days where I charged 8 or 9 times in a single day. This was true in my R1S as well traveling cross country.

240vPlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Rivian R1
Clubs

No biggie in my book. You just pay the higher rate after your 5 sessions that day are used up. You may see Tesla come with a higher tier membership at some undetermined time in the future which has that limitation removed. They are limiting the discount as I see it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV, Sprinter Bambi conversion
Occupation
retrired
what rate is california using for using a tesla supercharger?

DeafPug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
what rate is california using for using a tesla supercharger?
Tesla billing rates are specific to each site and potentially different at different times of the day. Time of use billing is generally only for the really busy sites in the middle of cities and used to encourage people to use the less busy sites on the outer edge of the city. I assume the main screen on the Rivian will give those billing details, but you can also check the rate on any Supercharger site by downloading the Tesla app, and then using the "Charge Your Other EV" function to get details on a specific site. If you click the "learn more" link right below the non-member rate that is shown in the app, you can see the discounted membership rate, which is what is being discussed in this thread.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Even if it applies to five individual SC sessions, that would be 1000 mile days so not much of a limitation unless you are doing a Cannonball Run Challenge.
Always wanted to do a cannonball run!!!

Rivian R1T R1S Supercharging limitation - is this new? DXS3GdjVoAAwG4b

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I was looking to sign up for the Supercharger membership thinking I would save some money on our upcoming trip across the country. I am not sure if this is new language but it says you are limited to using a supercharge 5 times a day.

Probably not an issue but something to be aware of if one wants to use Superchargers exclusively on a LONG day trip.

IMG_0753.jpeg
The unintended consequence is it might encourage people to charge longer, to higher SOC, if there is a likelihood that they might approach the 5 charge limit.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I think I may have hit four in a day, when towing with the Tesla 3. I wasn't going all that slow, and it ate up a lot of range. Five seems hard to hit.

Rivian R1T R1S Supercharging limitation - is this new? IMG_3232

Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I think I may have hit four in a day, when towing with the Tesla 3. I wasn't going all that slow, and it ate up a lot of range. Five seems hard to hit.
If you do the micro charging method adding more stops but staying at lower SoC to keep your charging times to a minimum, it would be very easy to hit 5 - but then, with the TSC you only get max kw's for 7-8 minutes as opposed to getting it up to 47-50% at other stations.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I guess so, but that's rather counter-productive for speed, since the time to get to/from charging is a constant and is larger than most people think. With the trailer, my time-killer was getting it to 90 or above to be sure I'd make the next charger. Now I know I would with less, but the first trips with it required a buffer since I didn't know.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
That is more restrictive but realistically I donā€™t think I have ever charged five times in a single day so I would sign up if I were looking to use the SC Network.

What it does prevent is widespread sharing a single Tesla account. We have three non-Tesla EVs in the household and would share a single account. But it is unclear if the total number of sessions are limited or just the number of discounted sessions are limited.

Sounds like someone needs to test this since there is no one at Tesla that will respond to questions.
My max so far has been 8 charges in one day over 1000 miles. If I were towing I'd venture it could be more than that. Also assumes no charging issues resulting in unplugging/replugging as below.

---------------------------

I charged up in the morning in Ft. Worth at a Tesla SC. My next stop was Vernon, TX, then Quanah, TX, and final stop for the day in Amarillo, TX. That's 4 SC's in one day. If something goes wrong at any of the stations and you have to re-initiate a session, you've used up your 5th one. I ran into issues where my sessions were ending after a few minutes or right away. It bumped me up to the higher rate after my 5 allotted sessions per day.
At least they didn't prevent a charge and just upped the rate to "normal".

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Sort of a weird policy. Do any gas station chains limit the number of fill ups you can do?

If people wait in line, why canā€™t they charge? Iā€™m no fan of Uber, but Iā€™d rather have Uber EVs that can charge as needed instead of ice vehicles spewing air pollution.
Actually something like this does exist today in terms of discounted plans. Some grocery stores such as Kroger or Safeway have a discounted fuel program where you earn discounts based on your grocery purchases, such as 10 cents or more off per gallon. They limit you to how many gallons you can purchase using that discount. So you can't line up 5 RV's and fill them all using the discounted price.

hgpayne

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Even if it applies to five individual SC sessions, that would be 1000 mile days so not much of a limitation unless you are doing a Cannonball Run Challenge.
Except sometimes the charger you're at is slow for whatever reason, so you move. Maybe the first plug in failed for whatever reason so you have to unplug and plug again -- there's another one gone and another one gone... another one bites the dust.
Sponsored