First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 4Runner
Occupation
Healthcare
Hey everyone, both my father and I have R1S’s on pre-order and unfortunately I’ll have to wait until late 2022 to get mine. This does however give us an opportunity to work on some interior mods in the mean time.

I recently drove in a Tesla and found the “permanent” sunroof to be somewhat annoying, it blocks out a lot of light but not 100%.

I think a solution that is available in the new Taycan with a variable light sunroof is really cool. Watch at ~7:10 in the video below.

There are several suppliers of “Smart Tint” out there today. I was thinking of making one myself that is controlled with a raspberry pi or something equivalent, however this option is very DIY and I won’t have the resources to make it look clean in an 80k car.
I was wondering if there is a reasonable amount of interest from our community in a product like this? We can reach out to a supplier that will make this for us to install in our vehicles.
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I ended up putting a mesh shade in my Model S to block direct sunlight. Still lets some light filter through. Wish Rivian simply had a retractable sunshade for the roof. Should have considering the price of the vehicle!

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

That looks pretty cool, even moreso than the dimming feature Rivian originally promised then cut for cost savings.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That'd be a nice option to have, but I'm hoping a fabric shade with internal bows hits the aftermarket. It'd be great to have one custom-fitted to Rivian and that rolls up into a tight bundle that can be easily stored in a sleeve and tossed in the back seat, or the Gear Tunnel, if need be.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That'd be a nice option to have, but I'm hoping a fabric shade with internal bows hits the aftermarket. It'd be great to have one custom-fitted to Rivian and that rolls up into a tight bundle that can be easily stored in a sleeve and tossed in the back seat, or the Gear Tunnel, if need be.
Seems like something a decent upholstery shop, or place that does boat covers and tops could whip up

Sponsored

Wanderer000

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T as of May 27th, 2016 Challenger
This is probably the way I go if the sunlight is too much for me.

OP
OP

DFWTXR1S

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 4Runner
Occupation
Healthcare
that’s a good idea as well, thing that worries me is that I’ll have it packed away and not accessible when I’m driving 70 mph.

Also, it’ll be interesting to see how the aftermarket makes one that fits the space tightly.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
My problem with glass roofs is that OEMs tint them too dark to be useful. You end up with a cabin barely brighter than a metal roof but with added solar gain in the summer, reduced insulation in the winter, and more sound reflection year round. Early Model 3s had superior coatings where it was bright but also rejected heat but they replaced it with cheap dark tint. These electrochomatic units do not have high heat rejection performance. The best solution remains the oldest. Low tint roof with power shade.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

that’s a good idea as well, thing that worries me is that I’ll have it packed away and not accessible when I’m driving 70 mph.

Also, it’ll be interesting to see how the aftermarket makes one that fits the space tightly.
I'm thinking about something similar to custom-fitting a windshield sunscreen like one shown here. One that uses flexible, spring-like bows shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. I'm thinking of those that utilize two circular springs in one sheet that both uncoil and snap open when you release the strap used to seal them in a small coiled state. Maybe a few small, built-in suction cups and/or lateral bows could help keep it in place and from any bouncing around when in use while driving. At least it would help keep the interior cool when parked.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof with variable light control images (14)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Seems like something a decent upholstery shop, or place that does boat covers and tops could whip up
It couldn't be very difficult. If there's nothing out there custom-fitted for it after my R1T arrives, I'm looking forward to tinkering with existing shades and other options to see what works. I'll certainly share anything I find and trust others will do the same.

I'm also hoping one of the car cover manufacturers will make a custom-fitted cover for the greenhouse of the. R1T cab. While a full cover for both vehicles would be nice, I'd be happy covering all of the glass to keep it clean, and to keep the UV and resulting heat out of the intrerior.

I had one for an old 'Vette Two-top, and it was invaluable when leaving the car out in the desert sun, with or without the top on. It was secured by the wipers and tabs that could be closed in the doors to keep someone from stealing the cover intact.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I got one of these for my Mach E, it folds up and comes with a pouch. They could likely come up with one for Rivian, if there is enough interest.

https://www.tesmanian.com/collectio...ducts/ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-roof-sunshade
azbill,

Thanks also for turning me on to tesmanian's website. It looks like they may provide a number of other products beyond what WeatherTech, Husky, and other manufacturers pump out in the aftermarket. Nice to see that for $110 for your shade and the clips, you get to beat the heat!

Thanks again!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
R1S Trivia - not sure how many people have actually noticed, but the R1S has two glass roof panels. It's just barely visible on the configurator, I did find a media photo that shows it clearly from above.

If the removable roof is actually available before my Q42022 delivery, I'll take a close look at that over the glass roof.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof with variable light control 1641338424283

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof with variable light control 1641338722327

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof with variable light control 1641338493624

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof with variable light control 1641347695552
Sponsored