Sponsored

Sunroof Shade Option

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have high quality ceramic tint all around except the roof (windshield I could only to Air 90 because of dumb Texas laws) and the truck doesn't get very hot. The roof is a source of far less heat than you might think. It has a high IR and nearly complete UV rejection from the factory. Adding a layer of ceramic tint is in my future, but the heat transmittal is so low it's not bothering me much. I live in Austin, so yes it's hot here.
Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Is it just me or is it kind of obscene that one has to come up with ugly, Mickey Mouse sun shades, purchased on Amazon, to keep an $80K+ vehicle habitable? All that beautiful interior finish, but, hey, donā€™t look up. Never mind all that stuff stuck on the ceiling šŸ˜• I can only imagine how the R1S is going to fare, with even more glass up above. Hope Iā€™m wrong on this. Iā€™m going to miss my FJ. It never gets hot inside, no matter how long it sits in the sun. Solar gain is a non-issue. Something to be said for a near vertical windshield.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I have high quality ceramic tint all around except the roof (windshield I could only to Air 90 because of dumb Texas laws) and the truck doesn't get very hot. The roof is a source of far less heat than you might think. It has a high IR and nearly complete UV rejection from the factory. Adding a layer of ceramic tint is in my future, but the heat transmittal is so low it's not bothering me much. I live in Austin, so yes it's hot here.
I have a similar experience with the Mach E in Alabama heat. I donā€˜t like the glass roof craze at all but heat hasnā€™t been an issue. Cold actually is though as the glass transmits cold and the coating canā€™t help that.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Is it just me or is it kind of obscene that one has to come up with ugly, Mickey Mouse sun shades, purchased on Amazon, to keep an $80K+ vehicle habitable? All that beautiful interior finish, but, hey, donā€™t look up. Never mind all that stuff stuck on the ceiling šŸ˜• I can only imagine how the R1S is going to fare, with even more glass up above. Hope Iā€™m wrong on this. Iā€™m going to miss my FJ. It never gets hot inside, no matter how long it sits in the sun. Solar gain is a non-issue. Something to be said for a near vertical windshield.
Agreed, if i was given the option i would have no glass up there at all.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Are y'all finding the root to be excessively hot? On my long road trip I had some upper 80's days, and the roof was never an issue. The windshield and front windows on the other hand really let the heat through.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Are y'all finding the root to be excessively hot? On my long road trip I had some upper 80's days, and the roof was never an issue. The windshield and front windows on the other hand really let the heat through.
Heat is a small part of the issue for me, it's warm but doesn't bother me.

The light bothers me a bit more sometimes. I have very sensitive eyes and wish i had the option to open or close something.

I will say, i did ceramic tint on my side windows and it made a huge difference, debating doing a clear tint on the windshield too.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hopefully someone will develop a third party mounting solution to attach a CROWS to the factory mounting points. This would be my ideal solution.

%2F02%2Fcrows-remote-machine-gun-system-1-1280x720.jpg
kurtlikevonnegut,

That looks like it would likely block far more than small rocks and infrared, if properly mounted. I fear the range, aero, wind noise, acceleration, and center of gravity all may be adversely impacted. Pretty sure parking garages would be a no-roll zone.

I'm guessing there may be less expensive options out there. Don't forget that the price of ammo is also through the roof. Sorry, I couldn't help but take that shot.... šŸ˜‰

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
This. No offense to those finding some temporary solutions, but all of it is janky as hell.

Same for expensive and perhaps non-damaging exterior or interior aftermarket tint solutions for the greenhouse roof.

IMO it is the same whiff category as poorly functioning keyless system, no snow mode outta the gate, and weak phone charging pad. Others might add no Carplay to this category so I wonā€™t. Sure, OTA can address some of these, so please do so. Please add a shade. Pretty please.

We should not be here at all.

Last edited:

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Our plan was to use something like this as itā€™s retractable. That said, I have no clue how well it will work or stay put on the ceiling. Was going to experiment.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option DA96D193-9C70-4C73-955C-A110000E3CBB
Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option 354A04C8-953D-41C4-B34B-93298A8E208C

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician

The light bothers me a bit more sometimes. I have very sensitive eyes and wish i had the option to open or close something.

I will say, i did ceramic tint on my side windows and it made a huge difference, debating doing a clear tint on the windshield too.
Think you will like the "almost totally clear" ceramic tint on the windshield even more. There is a tremendous amount of heat coming through that windshield, with the dash acting as a heatsink. I can hardly wait for my appointment on 6-13!

My local Llumar dealer (considering the source) reports, after the total package like I am having done, people are cooling the cabin to desired temperature, then turning the AC off. I don't totally believe it but am willing to try it and just turn off the compressor leaving the fans active and see how long it takes for the cabin to get too warm again. I am convinced it will work to some degree but may be too much trouble/aggravation.

If the AC set on AUTO actually cycles the compressor on/off once desired temp is reached, that should increase range, as I am guessing the AC compressor uses a lot more energy than the fans. Anybody know if that is how the R1T it works, or does it just lower the fan speed?

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
100% agreed. Spend the $$$ and do a ceramic film. If you get a very high quality film at a barely noticeble % (50%, 60%) it will still block out over 1/2 of heat.
My friend with a model 3 performance in black has ceramic tint on all surfaces and in the summer at 100+ degrees he barely uses any battery with cabin conditioning at 85 degrees. You can barely tell it is there because it is such a low%

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Think you will like the "almost totally clear" ceramic tint on the windshield even more. There is a tremendous amount of heat coming through that windshield, with the dash acting as a heatsink. I can hardly wait for my appointment on 6-13!

My local Llumar dealer (considering the source) reports, after the total package like I am having done, people are cooling the cabin to desired temperature, then turning the AC off. I don't totally believe it but am willing to try it and just turn off the compressor leaving the fans active and see how long it takes for the cabin to get too warm again. I am convinced it will work to some degree but may be too much trouble/aggravation.

If the AC set on AUTO actually cycles the compressor on/off once desired temp is reached, that should increase range, as I am guessing the AC compressor uses a lot more energy than the fans. Anybody know if that is how the R1T it works, or does it just lower the fan speed?
This.

Get rid of these ridiculous sun blockers and get a very high % (50+) high quality ceramic tint on every clear glass surface. You will barely notice a difference but the heat rejection will be incredibly noticeble.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

If light is the issue than the tint option will likely not work unless you go with a limo tint. I did get my roof tinted when I got the rest of it done and it has been amazing. Unlike my Tesla that fits in the garage, the truck stays outside. It was over 100 the other day and I got in and it was pretty good for such a hot day. I dont remember the exact film but it is the high end xpel and I think 45%

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
This.

Get rid of these ridiculous sun blockers and get a very high % (50+) high quality ceramic tint on every clear glass surface. You will barely notice a difference but the heat rejection will be incredibly noticeble.
Exactly!!!

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I received a quote for "nano-ceramic window film" for the roof of my (future) R1T, for either Prime XR or Prime XR plus. They claim it blocks out most heat. Anyone have experience with this product? I'm in the scorching hot desert, and will need something for the heat.
I'm in the scorching hotter desert (phoenix) and I had Spectra photosync installed in 2014 in my Model S on all windows, even windshield. It has been great. No need to use a windshield shade when parking in the sun.

I will be using it again when my R1S is ready.
Sponsored