Sunroof Shade Option

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The factory tint is in the glass and can't be removed. You can add another tint like normal. I added 3m 90% ceramic to the rear 3 windows to make them darker and help keep the cab cooler. I also put 20% on the front door windows, 70% on the windshield, and 70% on the roof (PPF on the outside surface). The combo makes a massive difference.
Whatā€™s the rough cost of that config? I havenā€™t tinted windows in over 20 years but I really want to combat the heat.
Sponsored

RIVDOC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GSA T700 and more
Occupation
Self employed
Firstly, your bebe is a friggin real life cabbage patch doll šŸ˜‚

if the rear seats had their own climafe control zone itd be a non issue. Seems like one of the things that got decontented to make production happen. I couldve sworn R1 was supposed to have 4 zone climate control or at least 3
Spent 3 hours in the back seat on a road trip when it was 85+ outside. I was NOT comfortable. Legs and butt were fine, but there was a signification temperature shift from my chest upward where I could clearly feel the heat from the sunroof. Rear climate controls were useless IMO (unless there's a trick I'm unaware of..). Of course, I'll never be riding back there in MY Rivian - LOL! It's 100+ here in Utah all week and I'll be parking outside so it'll get hot. Big fail on Rivian part me thinks.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
The factory tint is in the glass and can't be removed. You can add another tint like normal. I added 3m 90% ceramic to the rear 3 windows to make them darker and help keep the cab cooler. I also put 20% on the front door windows, 70% on the windshield, and 70% on the roof (PPF on the outside surface). The combo makes a massive difference.
Adding a film to the outside of the roof seems like it would eliminate any roof cracking issues from heat buildup that may occur when adding film to the inside of the roof.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Whatā€™s the rough cost of that config? I havenā€™t tinted windows in over 20 years but I really want to combat the heat.
$800 for the 5 windows using high end 3m film at an installer I've used before. I made a mistake on my earlier post (since fixed). I had 25% Ceramic IR on the 2 front windows, and 90% Crystalline on the back 3.

$200 for the windshield at a different place that did a decent job. They used Lluma FormulaOne Stratos. My main place wanted $500 for 3M.

About $60 for the roof as I bought the material and installed it myself (fairly easy to do). My main place wanted $550.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Adding a film to the outside of the roof seems like it would eliminate any roof cracking issues from heat buildup that may occur when adding film to the inside of the roof.
That was my thinking, plus the lower-cost DIY solution.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I had the windows treated already but I think I'll be going back to get a tint added to the roof. I hope Rivian figures this out for future customers, it's pretty ridiculous that they didn't realize this was going to be a problem during testing. I've owned and driven other cars with glass roofs - including my 2014 Model S - and none of them had this kind of heat issue.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
The factory tint is in the glass and can't be removed. You can add another tint like normal. I added 3m 90% ceramic to the rear 3 windows to make them darker and help keep the cab cooler. I also put 25% on the front door windows, 70% on the windshield, and 70% on the roof (PPF on the outside surface). The combo makes a massive difference.
My bad, I misunderstood your earlier message and thought you installed the PPF on the inside of the glass roof. For heat rejection it does seem to make more sense to put it out the outside.

But this is where my inexperience with tint applications kicks in. From what I've read so far, tinting on regular (i.e. front, sides, back) windows is applied on the inside. One reason I've read is that it lasts longer, which makes sense, but doesn't it also add to the heat problem? Some other possible reasons for tint on the inside for regular windows might be (1) these windows get more direct Sun when the Sun is lower in the sky, reducing (but not eliminating) the consequences of direct sunlight passing through the windows, and (2) different glass type?

My search-engine skills are tripping on this one, so if someone has a link for a good primer on the whys and hows of window tinting for regular windows vs. roof, I would be grateful. Cheers.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Spent 3 hours in the back seat on a road trip when it was 85+ outside. I was NOT comfortable. Legs and butt were fine, but there was a signification temperature shift from my chest upward where I could clearly feel the heat from the sunroof. Rear climate controls were useless IMO (unless there's a trick I'm unaware of..). Of course, I'll never be riding back there in MY Rivian - LOL! It's 100+ here in Utah all week and I'll be parking outside so it'll get hot. Big fail on Rivian part me thinks.

It defaults to running the footwell vents in most cases. That was likely what made it feel like they weren't keeping your upper body cool. Once we turned on the upper vents it had no problem keeping the dog on the seat cool.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I love the glass roof and like a few others live where it's really šŸ”„. I measured the inside roof glass temperature (IR gauge) the other day and the surface temperature was 176Ā°! It's the radiated heat that is the issue.

No offense but I'm not installing some ridiculous looking coated sheet of plywood on my glass roof! Hideous. LoL.

Ceramic tinting all windows including windshield made a significant difference in the truck cooling. I'm going to put some type of thin film on the roof, just waiting on all you guys/gals to figure it out, but it'll be soon. I did 70% on the windshield and at night my visibility is fantastic.

YMMV

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I read a few posts about the roof cracking under very light weight. Could adding anything on the outside and/or inside open up the possibility for Rivian to deny responsibility?

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I read a few posts about the roof cracking under very light weight. Could adding anything on the outside and/or inside open up the possibility for Rivian to deny responsibility?
According to posts on here, Rivian is already doing that with people who have no modifications to their roof.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I kind of wish that Rivian will start offering an option of a solid panel in place of the giant sunroof. I have had opening sunroofs on my last two Silverados, and I have never pulled back the opaque shade.

In my opinion, a sunroof in a pick-up truck is about as useful as a screen door in a nuclear submarine.

Brian

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
According to posts on here, Rivian is already doing that with people who have no modifications to their roof.
Only for people who have used the roof to support themselves. Others whose roofs have cracked without adding pressure have had their roofs replaced for free.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Only for people who have used the roof to support themselves. Others whose roofs have cracked without adding pressure have had their roofs replaced for free.
How can they tell? I'm sure it has been said before but just supporting yourself on the roof should not cause it to crack. I got past the headlights but the Alpine train-like roof is a bad design decision. It's just an accident waiting to happen. Wouldn't the integrity and safety be much better with a regular roof? The vast majority of these cars will never see a dirt road so all the passengers will see is the metro view.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
How can they tell? I'm sure it has been said before but just supporting yourself on the roof should not cause it to crack. I got past the headlights but the Alpine train-like roof is a bad design decision. It's just an accident waiting to happen. Wouldn't the integrity and safety be much better with a regular roof? The vast majority of these cars will never see a dirt road so all the passengers will see is the metro view.
The only time that I've seen Rivian deny a free replacement, the owner admitted to bracing himself on the glass of the roof while washing it. While I agree, a roof should be strong enough to support a moderate amount of weight, I wouldn't brace much of my weight on any metal components of any vehicle I own. They are all made to the minimum thickness in order to save material, weight, and most importantly cost.
Sponsored