Occupation
Self
Clubs

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Working on it ;) Early days, but if anyone wants to know when we have them in stock, there's a notify option here.
Hopefully R1S shades won't be far behind!

backfist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I got this installed on Friday, and it was well worth the investment. Install took about an hour working alone. I highly recommend having help though. It gives the glass a bit of a blue tint, but it's not objectionable since the sky tends to be blue. There is a very small amount of distortion, but that's likely due to me installing it alone.

It definitely cuts down on the IR coming through the glass. Driving in the blazing Colorado sun I did not feel the heat on my head like I did before. After being parked in the sun for several hours on a 90 degree day, the glass was still quite hot to the touch, but the interior was only a couple of degrees higher than ambient. I think the hot glass was due more to conduction from the metal parts of the roof. It should also provide some impact resistance, and should not have the shattering concern that has sometimes been mentioned as a potential with film on the inside.
I followed your lead and ordered this for the R1T.

It arrived damaged, as the tube was bent and open during shipping. Due to the film separating from it's plastic backing, I elected to contact the company.

Their response was simple, contact USPS.

Zero attempt to send out a different piece or try to remedy the situation.
Their follow-up response was "send it back."

It looked like such a promising answer to the heat problem. Like you I am in Colorado and the sun/heat combination is horrible.

My advice to those thinking about this product is to think very hard as you will receive zero customer service assistance with any delivery issues.

FOLLOW-UP:

Had my tint guys install this yesterday. It does add a blue tint but, I knew that going in.

I guess being 6'4", I am fairly close to the roof. The film decreased some of the suns heat. However, it was still strong enough that I put my Reflectix foil panels back in place.

The Denver sun can be scorching and I this film by itself was not the answer for me.

YMMV depending on your proximity to the roof and how strong the suns impact is in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Curious if any updates to this thread?

Sponsored

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
We're making decent progress with ours, here's a pic of the latest prototype. I'm hoping we can have something ready by the end of the year, if not sooner, but I don't want to over-promise, things always seem to take longer than I would hope. Link on the product page if you'd like to be notified when they're in stock.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option IMG_0732.JPG

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Any ETA for R1S? For both panels of glass?

We're making decent progress with ours, here's a pic of the latest prototype. I'm hoping we can have something ready by the end of the year, if not sooner, but I don't want to over-promise, things always seem to take longer than I would hope. Link on the product page if you'd like to be notified when they're in stock.

IMG_0732.JPG

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Any ETA for R1S? For both panels of glass?
Likely Spring '23, will push for sooner. I've just added the R1S option to the product page, of you'd like to be notified.

netjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I got this installed on Friday, and it was well worth the investment. Install took about an hour working alone. I highly recommend having help though. It gives the glass a bit of a blue tint, but it's not objectionable since the sky tends to be blue. There is a very small amount of distortion, but that's likely due to me installing it alone.

It definitely cuts down on the IR coming through the glass. Driving in the blazing Colorado sun I did not feel the heat on my head like I did before. After being parked in the sun for several hours on a 90 degree day, the glass was still quite hot to the touch, but the interior was only a couple of degrees higher than ambient. I think the hot glass was due more to conduction from the metal parts of the roof. It should also provide some impact resistance, and should not have the shattering concern that has sometimes been mentioned as a potential with film on the inside.
Did you have to cut it at all?

Sponsored

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
I found that Rivian (both models) is in Manufacturers list on the HeatShield Store website. I have these for my last 3 or 4 cars/trucks and they are great.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-rivian-r1t-crew

This included windshield, the front windows and a Top shield so I bought them all. They also had a rear window which I did not buy.

Will report what I find when they arrive.
I bought one for the front windshield also. I'd be curious to what you think of it when after using it?The top shield looks really interesting. It has a very clean uniform appearance when it is installed.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just as a thought, you might also check with a window tinting company as a permanent option. They MIGHT be able to provide an option such as a high VLT film to darken or even black out the sunroof.
This is what I did. You don't need the best tint on the roof. I got XPEL with 80% protection or some sort. Roof is already kinda dark, so you just need the protection against the heat.
Sponsored