Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Morning everyone,

I'm sure I want the 20" wheels as we'll be towing a 7.5k boat and trailer. Although the sports would probably work, I've seen in numerous other forums that you don't want shallow sidewalls on the tires when towing heavy tongue weight.

However I don't think I like the dark wheels, not just because they are expensive but for some reason, when looking at pictures with the dark wheels they seem like "black holes" and make the truck look funny in my opinion, with the possible exception with Midnight black, and El Capt. I know very few of you chose the 20" brights, but for those that did what prompted you to select the brights vs the "regular" wheels. I seem to like them both, but looking at the brights in the configurator looks funky, but the few R1T's that did have brights in real life look really good to me.

I'm sure I want RC/OC and yes I'll have to wait :)
Sponsored

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
With the lighter colors yes, I can see your point about black wheels and only if I squint my eyes. However the yellow brakes really standout with the dark wheels. Each to their own. Either will look good.

22RivianCDH

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 22 R1S, 22 Raptor 37, 21Jeep 392,20 G63
Occupation
Broker
I went the Brights on my launch R1T...major reason was $3500....some say you can powdercoat the bright wheels black...I have seen a set powdercoated and the finish didn't look very good...the Rivian dark finish has subtle shading differences that make the wheel IMO....I am very happy with the brights...they are not ideal off road wheels ...they sit out pretty far and will most likely get damaged on the trail....if I did it again , I would order the 20 AT painted low gloss..they appear to be better off road rims....my .02 cent s

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Your not alone. Waffling between the black 20" wheels ($3500) and the standard 21" wheels. I have the standard 21" wheels configured currently.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Your not alone. Waffling between the black 20" wheels ($3500) and the standard 21" wheels. I have the standard 21" wheels configured currently.
Me too

Sponsored

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
After seeing a forrest green with brights, and noticing that most other red trucks have metal colored wheels instead of black, I'm really thinking about the brights, but they do seem pretty proud and the standards seem to be much flatter.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just to clarify, most folks are getting these 20s. No the brights, nor the darks.
Rivian R1T R1S Struggling with wheel choice 1651723656638

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I think the A/T 20" Darks are the best wheels. In my opinion, they make every color rivian look better. I had 21" wheels in my configuration right up until yesterday when I had to confirm it for my guide. After looking at images side by side comparing the 20 and 21, I made the switch to the 20s. I readily admit it was entirely based on looks -- the 20s just look so much better and in proper proportion in my opinion. The 21 wheels looked like a car tire on a truck and just didn't look quite right to me.

Erin

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, GMC Yukon Denali, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Undisclosed
I have a First call with guide later today, and Im still going back and forth on 20” vs 21” wheel size. As I see it:

20” Pros: Looks best, with most capable tires for heavy snow. Likely more durable against punctures

Cons: less range, and cannot revert to aero wheel if range becomes a bigger issue. Higher cost over time due to charging costs and life of vehicle due to 10% more charges over the life of the vehicle

21” pros: Longer range- especially good for trips in the 200-275 mile range which will mean we dont need to stop and charge.. Longer lasting tire, will not need to be replaced as soon. Quieter. Lower cost over time. $1800 less at time of purchase could cover 50% of winter wheel/tire set

21” cons: Looks- the wheels dont look as nice, and may scratch and wear worse over time. Replacement of tires may be difficult due to supply issues, and impossible to refit with A/T tires. New wheels would have to be purchased if winter tires are needed.

What are your thoughts on the above reasoning- and which wheels are you driving/configuring?

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

I ended up staying with the 21” wheels, taking the lower cost and better efficiency/range vs looks. I ended up liking their look in person much more than in the pictures. So I’m pretty happy with the choice so far.

Sponsored

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
One thing to note, the 20" wheels are forged -- stronger and lighter - $1800 is not a bad price for forged wheels. Aftermarket is likely to be substantially more.

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Forged is the main reason I recently switched from the standard 21” wheels to the 20” All-Terrain wheels. I also think they look better, show off the yellow calipers because of the open design and replacement tires will be easier to get.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I don't think anyone has posted door stickers for the 21's, but people have posted 20's and 22's and both had max load that was much less than the max Rivian has advertised.

So at the moment, it seems that the 21's are the way to go if you want max load / max towing.

you don't want shallow sidewalls on the tires when towing heavy tongue weight.
I agree with that logic but I do not agree that any of the choices would be described as having "shallow sidewalls". Even the 22's have 5.5" of sidewall which is not shallow.

The choices are huge sidewall (20s) or large sidewall(21s), or normal sidewall(22s). Shallow sidewalls would be swapping out for 25"+ rims.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
One thing to note, the 20" wheels are forged -- stronger and lighter - $1800 is not a bad price for forged wheels. Aftermarket is likely to substantially more.
Are the AT Brights/Darks forged? Or just the regular 20" ATs

Even the 22's have 5.5" of sidewall which is not shallow.

The choices are huge sidewall (20s) or large sidewall(21s), or normal sidewall(22s). Shallow sidewalls would be swapping out for 25" rims.
I have a Tesla model 3. My mobile test drive was with the 22" sport wheels, and they still seemed incredibly thick relative to what I'm used to currently.

The 22's were also a very smooth ride, again much smoother than my Tesla model 3. However, the employee I was test driving with did mention to me that that the 20" ATs are a smoother ride on bumps compared to the 22's, and most likely the 21's (although she hadn't yet ridden with 21's).

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
How far are you towing that trailer? If I were going to spec for long hauling a trailer I'd for sure want the one that got me the best range.

Aeros:
312 miles x .5 (50% range loss from towing) = 156 miles
80% of 156 miles = 125 miles

AT:
272 miles x .5 = 136 miles
80% of 136 miles = 108.8 miles

Do your own math based on your trailer but, just saying...
Sponsored