Sponsored

Started the 8 steps and am getting cold feet. Edit: warm fuzzies now, completed the steps :)

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
Hello all, new member to the forums but I’ve been lurking for a few months. Got my email this morning to start the 8 steps, Jan/Feb factory pick up. Over the last day or two I’ve been second guessing purchasing the R1T. With all the recalls, driving in snow issues, adventure gear configuration changes (especially the spare tire), windshields cracking, wind noise, QC declining with increased production, etc I’m rethinking if I want to be an early adopter.
I realize this forum is a small fraction of the almost 16,000 delivered vehicles and that there is a bias towards the most glamorous of problems. On the other hand, I also watch a ton of YT videos of Rivian fanboys where any flaw the R1T might have is an opportunity to improve.
While the purchase of a $80,000 vehicle won’t bankrupt me, it’s also not a decision to be made hastily, especially when the new Truck market is coming back to earth… sort of. I can get a new 3/4 ton for $15,000 less and I know it’ll last 250,000 miles.

Can somebody tell me the overall satisfaction rate of ownership?

Also, I’d like to hear from anyone else had to swallow their misgivings and took the leap in relatively uncharted territor.
Sponsored

Low Dog

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RIVIAN R1T
Occupation
Lawyer
I was a little hesitant myself. But after 6 months of ownership, zero issues with the vehicle, and having an absolute blast every time I drive it, I have zero regrets. This was my first EV, so I had to learn a few things. I still enjoy learning new things and the subject matter is fun. I don’t pay much attention to the “Macro-critics,” those who just want to nit pick everything about the company. They’ve never attempted, let alone accomplished what this company has in such a short amount of time. I believe in them. I bought some stock too. I say go for it. The truck is worth the money. The risk is worth the fun!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don’t have mine yet so I can’t speak to the actual satisfaction, but I know for me and many others the R1T isn’t just another truck. My decision to purchase is as much about never wanting to buy another ICE truck again as it is being impressed with the Rivian on it’s own. It can off road like a beast and handle the back roads like a sports car. Never having to buy another gallon of gas will be a bonus.

ICE trucks have mechanical issues and recalls too. Ram just recalled 1.4 million trucks because the tailgate might open up on it’s own. Rivian will have their share along the way too.

Last edited:

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Driving in snow isn’t an issue. Regen can be aggressive, particularly if in High. If you completely lift your foot, you can break traction on ice. Standard helps, and snow mode I’m sure will be better.

(To be clear, I’m not one of the “if you can’t drive this thing in snow you’re an idiot“ posters here. Yes, it has room for improvement. No, it’s not a reason to avoid the truck IMO.)

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
First post? Can't tell if you're a troll, but when you start off "With all the recalls, ..." that makes me think you've just posted to stir up uncertainty and doubt. Certainly you haven't done a lot of research, even though you imply that you have. If you're really a customer and are having concerns, the first thing I would advise you to do is to learn more rather than jumping right to giving up your reservation. This is sounding like an "I'm quitting Twitter" thread, where we all know you're really not.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was a little hesitant myself. But after 6 months of ownership, zero issues with the vehicle, and having an absolute blast every time I drive it, I have zero regrets. This was my first EV, so I had to learn a few things. I still enjoy learning new things and the subject matter is fun. I don’t pay much attention to the “Macro-critics,” those who just want to nit pick everything about the company. They’ve never attempted, let alone accomplished what this company has in such a short amount of time. I believe in them. I bought some stock too. I say go for it. The truck is worth the money. The risk is worth the fun!
Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear. People that don’t have problems don't post much and when they do it doesn’t get a lot of views or replies.

OP
OP

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First post? Can't tell if you're a troll, but when you start off "With all the recalls, ..." that makes me think you've just posted to stir up uncertainty and doubt. Certainly you haven't done a lot of research, even though you imply that you have. If you're really a customer and are having concerns, the first thing I would advise you to do is to learn more rather than jumping right to giving up your reservation. This is sounding like an "I'm quitting Twitter" thread, where we all know you're really not.
I understand your skepticism, but, nope not a troll. “A lot of research” is subjective. I’ve done more research for this truck than every vehicle I ever owned, combined. I get that it’s a new company and a new product, there’s going to be teething pain. I just want some reassurance

i get your meaning, but to be a tiny bit trollish, I was never on Twitter
:)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hello all, new member to the forums but I’ve been lurking for a few months. Got my email this morning to start the 8 steps, Jan/Feb factory pick up. Over the last day or two I’ve been second guessing purchasing the R1T. With all the recalls, driving in snow issues, adventure gear configuration changes (especially the spare tire), windshields cracking, wind noise, QC declining with increased production, etc I’m rethinking if I want to be an early adopter.
I realize this forum is a small fraction of the almost 16,000 delivered vehicles and that there is a bias towards the most glamorous of problems. On the other hand, I also watch a ton of YT videos of Rivian fanboys where any flaw the R1T might have is an opportunity to improve.
While the purchase of a $80,000 vehicle won’t bankrupt me, it’s also not a decision to be made hastily, especially when the new Truck market is coming back to earth… sort of. I can get a new 3/4 ton for $15,000 less and I know it’ll last 250,000 miles.

Can somebody tell me the overall satisfaction rate of ownership?

Also, I’d like to hear from anyone else had to swallow their misgivings and took the leap in relatively uncharted territor.
I do not have my R1S yet, but can speak about forums. People tend to be negative on forums, I read so much about the Tesla and how bad things were I thought the one I purchased must have been a unicorn as I had none of the issues from what seemed like everyone. 6.5 years later, it is still one of my favorite cars.

That being said, if you are having second thoughts, I would look more into why. I make it a habit to listen to my gut, usually there is something there I may not be seeing, it has served me well throughout my life.

Personally, when I get called, based on my test drive and speaking to owners, I will not hesitate to complete my purchase.

Low Dog

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RIVIAN R1T
Occupation
Lawyer
Jack Smoke, to a couple of your concerns in detail, for me, the company handled the recall like none other. They didn’t wait until someone died in a crash, they caught an issue, contacted owners, made it public, then promptly addressed the issue. A technician out of the Cleveland service center came to my house to look at mine. It took him 5 minutes. Mine was fine. Mine was the 10th he looked at that day. No issues with any. The day before he’d checked 23 at the center. No issues. As far as snow driving, I’ve driven it twice in very bad conditions, both on the highway and back roads. So long as you don’t brake on an icy bridge (by not letting up on the throttle thus deploying regen braking) you’ll be fine. I had no issues whatsoever.

OP
OP

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Driving in snow isn’t an issue. Regen can be aggressive, particularly if in High. If you completely lift your foot, you can break traction on ice. Standard helps, and snow mode I’m sure will be better.

(To be clear, I’m not one of the “if you can’t drive this thing in snow you’re an idiot“ posters here. Yes, it has room for improvement. No, it’s not a reason to avoid the truck IMO.)
The snow driving isn’t for my comfort, as I’ll be the primary driver. I’m a little concerned about my wife getting used to 1 pedal driving and aggressive regen when she will only drive it occasionally. I think it would be better for her to wait until the roads are clear in the spring and get used to one thing at a time. She’s not a fan of change :)

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
With all the recalls, driving in snow issues, adventure gear configuration changes (especially the spare tire), windshields cracking, wind noise, QC declining with increased production, etc
All the recalls? The R1T has had three recalls, only one of which effected more than 500 trucks. Driving in snow is a total non issue from my experience so far. Adventure gear configuration changes is essentially meaningless as they just changed the method in which you buy them. All vehicles’ windshields will crack, there’s nothing special about the R1T that makes it any better or worse. Wind noise is better than most vehicles and all trucks that I’ve owned and not a big deal. I doubt QC is declining, you just won’t see satisfied people posting anywhere near as much as complainers tend to do.

OP
OP

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jack Smoke, to a couple of your concerns in detail, for me, the company handled the recall like none other. They didn’t wait until someone died in a crash, they caught an issue, contacted owners, made it public, then promptly addressed the issue. A technician out of the Cleveland service center came to my house to look at mine. It took him 5 minutes. Mine was fine. Mine was the 10th he looked at that day. No issues with any. The day before he’d checked 23 at the center. No issues. As far as snow driving, I’ve driven it twice in very bad conditions, both on the highway and back roads. So long as you don’t brake on an icy bridge (by not letting up on the throttle thus deploying regen braking) you’ll be fine. I had no issues whatsoever.
That is a great point on being proactive on known issues. As a fan of the movie Fight Club, it’s great to know that Rivian doesnt place a priority on cost of lawsuit v cost of recall

All the threads and post have had glowing reviews of service centers and maintenance tech

Low Dog

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RIVIAN R1T
Occupation
Lawyer
The snow driving isn’t for my comfort, as I’ll be the primary driver. I’m a little concerned about my wife getting used to 1 pedal driving and aggressive regen when she will only drive it occasionally. I think it would be better for her to wait until the roads are clear in the spring and get used to one thing at a time. She’s not a fan of change :)
Yo, Mr. Smoke, are you married to my wife’s doppelgänger? I took delivery in June and my wife has yet to operate the vehicle! And she’s not a milk toast, “fraidy cat!” It’s the 1 pedal/95% of the time thing for her. She drives a 4Runner and is an adventurous person. She’s even driven our RV! But she won’t pull the trigger. Both of my daughters were eager to drive it and were proficient at it after 10 minutes. Your wife, as mine, just needs to get on the horse, then she will be fine!

OP
OP

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess the recall issue wasn’t as significant I previously thought. 3 isn’t that many, especially on a new vehicl.e. I’ve owned a BMW that had way more than that. They must just pop up in my feed over and over. Damn algorithms. I think the OTA updates have solved some things that I mistook as hardware shortcomings

OP
OP

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yo, Mr. Smoke, are you married to my wife’s doppelgänger? I took delivery in June and my wife has yet to operate the vehicle! And she’s not a milk toast, “fraidy cat!” It’s the 1 pedal/95% of the time thing for her. She drives a 4Runner and is an adventurous person. She’s even driven our RV! But she won’t pull the trigger. Both of my daughters were eager to drive it and were proficient at it after 10 minutes. Your wife, as mine, just needs to get on the horse, then she will be fine!
Yeah, I’ve kinda spoiled her with Subaru’s and Cherokee’s on winter tires. She drives in the snow with the confidence of a Finnish rally car driver. She has no inclination think about road surfaces.
Sponsored