Spare Tire

wsgrunner

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I am looking for advice. I will soon be getting an R1T with 22’s and it will be primarily for road driving. Do I need an $800 spare tire?
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The 22" Scorpion Zero All Season tires are made specifically for Rivian... you're not going to find a local replacement if your get a blowout.

Just the tire alone is $446 at Tire Rack so for $354 additional you get a spare tire and rim. IMO it's worth it.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The 22" Scorpion Zero All Season tires are made specifically for Rivian... you're not going to find a local replacement if your get a blowout.

Just the tire alone is $446 at Tire Rack so for $354 additional you get a spare tire and rim. IMO it's worth it.
Definitely worth it

Perk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2012 Volt, 2013 Odyssey, R2S reserved
How about whether or not $800 makes sense for 20"? The tire will not be a problem, but will it be easy enough to find a rim? I don't have any idea what the bolt hole pattern is. It doesn't bother me that it won't match. I don't plan on bringing it out anyway - and can certainly tolerate non-matching long enough to get to the tire store.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
The tire will not be a problem, but will it be easy enough to find a rim?
This is the real problem. So far I haven't seen any rim outside what Rivian offers that fits the R1T/S. Tires can be expensive, but rims even more so regarding something that tends to be pseudo-unique. As is, Tire Rack doesn't even offer rims for the Rivian.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ The 20" tire is also custom made for Rivian...
You "might" be able to find a 20" temp replacement locally, but it will be a mismatch with the other three tires on the vehicle and can not stay on there as a permanent replacement. For close to $400 for a non-permanent replacement tire... that's a huge waste of $$$.

And, the way things are nowadays liability wise and all, good luck getting a tire store to even mount a non-matching tire on your vehicle. Probably won't happen.

Better to just pony up the $800 when you purchase the vehicle, get the correct replacement tire and wheel so you have time to order the proper/matching replacement tire to use as your new spare.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I did not, and am happy with my decision. Same use case as yours, drive 20-25k miles a year. I am a DYI guy and can fix a leak myself, or have roadside assistance if I have a major issue (never have with any other vehicle I have owned).

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ Not all flats can be repaired by plug or patch ie.. sidewalll damage, blowout, belt damage, etc...

With no local source to get a replacement tire for the Rivian.. flatbed and layup is the only other option. A replacement tire is still going to cost $400+ and you had to pay for the flatbed plus your time and inconvenience should be worth something too. You still would have to order the replacement tire... figure 2 days minimum to get it (if it's even available in this pandemic constrained economy). If you're on a trip.. you'll then have to pay for lodging, meals, etc till the new tire arrives. That's why a spare on a rim makes sense in this case.. pull over, swap out the flat for the spare and you're on your way in under 30min for a DIY guy.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Absolutely get the full sized spare and Pirelli Scorpion tire. On value alone it's an incredible bargain. Peace of mind as well. Finally, there are NO aftermarket wheels of any kind available that fit the Rivian because of the massive front caliper and offset. Because of this, I'm building a custom forged set now..(picture of wheel manufacturer taking measurements after scanning).

If I could buy four more Rivian wheels alone for $1500 I'd do it in a heartbeat, but that isn't happening....in fact, over a month into my ownership and I still don't have my full sized spare......

Rivian R1T R1S Spare Tire IMG_20220330_160312

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Get the full spare tire and matching rim. It’s less than 1% of the purchase price! Don’t be Penny wise and pound foolish!

Sidewall blowout, no cell phone coverage = SOL. Being Mr. Fix It won’t do you any good. You and whoever might be with you will be very grateful you can change the tire and be on your way.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I think every car I have owned has had a flat tire at some point. I would always take a spare when given the option. But maybe others have better luck than me with tires. It just seems worth it for peace of mind. You never know where or when a tire failure could happen. Or how long a tow will take...if a shop is open.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I didn't have a spare in my Bolt, but I've had to plug a tire a couple times. Only time I had one I couldn't fix, I was 1/4 mile from home, so I just drove on it flat. It was garbage anyway.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Does the R1T come with a jack if you don't order a spare tire? Reason I ask is for the people planning to plug a flat.. first step is to either remove the tire or at least jack it up off the ground. That's kind of difficult to do without a jack...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Does the R1T come with a jack if you don't order a spare tire? Reason I ask is for the people planning to plug a flat.. first step is to either remove the tire or at least jack it up off the ground. That's kind of difficult to do without a jack...
They do not, the jack and tools are part of the spare option. That alone is why I ordered it.
Sponsored