Sponsored

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
For those of you interested in CO2 emissions and how the R1T compares to a gas powered vehicle, here are some quick numbers.

Assumptions:
R1T average range per charge: 275 miles
Charging losses: 10%
Vampire drain: 2% (2.5kWh) per day
Miles per year: 10k

Results:
Using the average US electrical grid emissions:
48mpg equivalent with no vampire drain
40mpg equivalent with vampire drain

Worst case scenario (Wyoming electrical grid)
21mpg equivalent with no vampire drain
17mpg equivalent with vampire drain

Best case scenario (Washington state)
180mpg equivalent with no vampire drain
150mpg equivalent with vampire drain

These are very rough numbers, and there are many variables to consider, but I thought this at least gives a sense of the impact.
Does Wyoming electricity run on methane (cow farts) or something?
Sponsored

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
But note to self, if I ever move to Wyoming, it's actually better to drive a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. I mean, it might be slower, but for the environment, it's the right choice.
Here is a really cool map if you want to see real time data on different power grids and their electricity mix.

The number I used for Wyoming was 886g / kWh for a reference.

https://app.electricitymaps.com/map

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
Been playing with turning on and off my OpenEVSE based on CO2signal / electricity maps data via HomeAssistant. It's been very very interesting. I've found a couple of inaccuracies in their data, but generally it's pretty reasonable and very eye opening.

I'm in the WAPA Rocky Mountain region Balancing Authority. And yeah we have way way way too much coal in our grid still. Nasty.

Phantom drain is nasty too. Need to get rid of both lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Been playing with turning on and off my OpenEVSE based on CO2signal / electricity maps data via HomeAssistant. It's been very very interesting. I've found a couple of inaccuracies in their data, but generally it's pretty reasonable and very eye opening.

I'm in the WAPA Rocky Mountain region Balancing Authority. And yeah we have way way way too much coal in our grid still. Nasty.

Phantom drain is nasty too. Need to get rid of both lol
I use the Electricity Maps combined with our 10.6kW solar array to maximize low carbon charging at home. This time of year is tough with less sun and a slightly dirtier grid.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I've seen articles showing typical charging loss numbers from 5%-15%, so I took the middle. Higher losses are typically expected for DC fast charging versus level 2 charging at home is slightly more efficient.
I think that's a fair bet, my energy delivered as measured by the EVSE is about 9-10% higher than what the car is saying it's getting and that's right in line. I'm not sure how much of that is inverter loss so DCFC might actually be more efficient in terms of power delivered because the inverter is before the vehicle connection.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When I park the truck i turn the climate control off. I also turn off the Gear Guard in the garage. Don't know if those have any affect of it.
I turn climate off. Gear guard off. PAAK is always off. Wifi off. Keyfob put away in faraday. Bluetooth turned off. App killed. Still seeing 4%+ per day. Shit is getting on my nerves.

PVguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Transit Connect, 2000 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Retired
Interesting, however this is just post-production, and does not factor in the CO2 emissions from manufacturing and battery mining.
This would constantly (at least it seemed like it) when I would address questions about emissions and photovoltaic energy. For me, it is similar to buildings and falls into the “embodied energy” category. Different but still very important to consider.

Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Interesting, however this is just post-production, and does not factor in the CO2 emissions from manufacturing and battery mining.
It also doesn't factor in the mining and refining of liquid fuel...OP can't account for all variables. Where I live in NC we're nuclear powered, does that mean if I had an EV it would be infinite mpg? Or would you count for the fuel used to build the plant, mine/refine the radioactive material (U), build the supporting lake for cooling, etc?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

There must be a lot of difference from one truck to the next. I’ll keep checking mine, but I didn’t turn anything off including the app and left the truck unlocked. I only lost 1 mile overnight.
Rivian R1T R1S Some Quick Math on Electrical Grid CO2 Emissions and Vampire Drain D06DD3BE-89BC-40BB-BEC8-4A1E3836C96A
Rivian R1T R1S Some Quick Math on Electrical Grid CO2 Emissions and Vampire Drain 49D10720-ACE6-47FC-87BF-64E735967774
Sponsored