First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Overseas sw devs? I don't like the sound of that. It does shed some light on the disconnect however...
They have used overseas developers for years - Including all the times when there were no issues….
Sponsored

Krs71

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
Mine did the same thing, says the update is incomplete, yet the app version and vehicle version shows it seems to have taken, Rivian rep told me to reboot the software, which I did and it's still showing update failed. So have a service ticket to have Rivian either repush or see what next steps are, the main screen doesn't seem to get to the normal stage of viewing, just sits on 'Rivian' display.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
One reason why I never install anything first, let others hit it and deal with issues. The reality is the public is now the beta testers because companies, not just Rivian but Apple, Cisco, Samsung, etc etc, are moving too quickly to get software out instead of 'Quality' software out.
Yep! Point-One generally always works better.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

While the R1S is drivable, not having HVAC control with my wife, < 6 month old baby, and dog in the car is a no go. Also, road tripping without navigation is doable (have done it in other EVs) but adds a ton of overhead for planning and additional stress.
If you don't have ABRP / PlugShare, it will help plan your route home. As for HVAC...that's going to be my biggest issue until they resolve this. I didn't have my HVAC set to Auto and temperature control was off...now I have no way to turn it back on.

---------------------------------------------------

I was able to start the climate system from my phone app, in case that works for you too, and is helpful.
Thanks! Definitely helpful. Be nice if we could adjust temp via the app while driving (vs. just in park) and turn on the 3rd row fans for the dog, but this definitely works temporarily.
People say you can use the app to set the car’s temperature before you get in
The app will only precondition the cabin. If you didn't have temperature control / Auto on before you did the update I'm pretty sure it won't stay running. At least mine doesn't. I'll get in to a warm truck and then it starts blowing cold air because I had temp control turned off. What I can't remember is whether or not the HVAC normally resets and defaults back to auto after an update applies.

Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Add me to the list of failed updates last night. I was able to drive to work today with a basic speedo and no infotainment (used the app to pre-heat the car and it stayed on during the drive). I reached out to service to let them know I was able to get to work but wanted guidance on what I should do now as far as next steps to get this resolved.

"We currently recommend not driving the vehicle at this time. With out safety features on the infotainment it could be unsafe to drive. We are working around the clock to address the issue and at this time are providing ride share credits or loaners as needed."

I asked if it was safe enough to drive back home and they said:

"We currently are advising to not drive the vehicle as it does not have access to the back up camera or safety cameras."

I replied with Ok. Duly noted. I'll take the chance though to at least get it back home. I'll use my Tesla in the meantime until Rivian can get this straightened out.

They responded with "It is your Vehicle if you do feel safe without those functions you may drive it. We are working on a solution and will be contacting customers as soon as possible" and added "That sounds like a great option. I do apologize for the inconvenience. If anything changes chat us back and we will issue rideshare credits or setup a rental for you."

So there you have it - drive at your own risk, Rivian's guidance is to not drive it at all and will provide you with Uber/Lyft/Enterprise while you wait for further instructions. Hopefully this will be addressed with an OTA fix, but if they need us to wait for a Service Center or Mobile appointment, we'll be in for a hell of a wait. The last time I tried to schedule something at Brooklyn was early Summer and they were more than 2 months out.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Mine failed to update and the app said I needed to call or chat with CS. Was told they are aware of the issue and said that if I can’t drive my Rivian with the basic functions like seeing my speed, reverse camera then I need to call back and they will try to get me into a loaner or provide credits for ride share.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Mine did the same thing, says the update is incomplete, yet the app version and vehicle version shows it seems to have taken, Rivian rep told me to reboot the software, which I did and it's still showing update failed. So have a service ticket to have Rivian either repush or see what next steps are, the main screen doesn't seem to get to the normal stage of viewing, just sits on 'Rivian' display.
Rebooting won't do anything - the guidance now is to wait for the fix that they are working on.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If the only reason to not drive it is lack of back up and other cameras, then I was much more of a rebel then I thought driving on the roads all those years before vehicle cameras existed 😌

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
I was livid last night, sitting in a parking lot at an ice rink at 10:30pm while snow is beginning to fall, afraid I'd have to leave my truck and take an uber home.
Not to minimize how horrible the situation is, but I have to ask: why on earth would you do a software update unless the vehicle is parked safely in your garage / driveway at home?

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I've been thinking about how everyone is feeling after this update debacle including me (and it is a debacle, no way to sugar coat it).

One thing that occurs to me is that we have a lot of OTA updates in our lives today. From TVs to phones to laptops to thermostats to etc. And my general approach is to apply any OTA I get an alert about. And I'm so trusting of these at this point, if I could, I would just have them all automatically apply and I'd rather just not be bugged about it. Just tell me what improved.

As consumers, however, we should probably apply some weighting on updates, based on:
  • how long the product has been around and number of updates to date
  • how dependent we are on the product
  • how important the updates are to security or safety
I'm pretty dependent on my phone, but engineers have had 10+ years and literally billions of updates around the world to learn how to do them pretty flawlessly at this point, even major OS upgrades. And especially for minor security updates which are urgent to apply.

However, Rivian is still new to the update game. And for many owners, their livelihoods or family safety is tied to a well running car. And I don't see any major safety or security fixes in last night's update. Given that combination, in retrospect, I would have held off from applying the update myself last night, since I knew that I have something this week for which I need my truck fully functional. There was nothing life changing in the update that I couldn't have waited for.

As @Dark-Fx suggested, I wonder if Rivian could have a voluntary Beta or Early Access testing group that are tech enthusiasts and like to help uncover new benefits of updates for the community, but also inherently enjoy helping to solve any issues with updates, and have the flexibility to do so. These are folks for whom the Rivian is an extra vehicle for fun, or they have backups, and it's not unreasonable for them to take on the role of trying out new updates.

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming any owner for applying the update last night. I did it myself, rather cavalierly, and mainly by reflex. It's what you do these days with OTAs, and this is only my second update since I got the truck so the little kid in me was giddy with excitement. But after having a chance to think about it, in the future I will be more deliberate on when I apply an update.

I hope Rivian takes this experience to heart and does more to educate owners on the benefits *and* risks of OTAs, so none of us get left stranded somewhere.

Last edited:

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

I was livid last night, sitting in a parking lot at an ice rink at 10:30pm while snow is beginning to fall, afraid I'd have to leave my truck and take an uber home. I got home after about an hour of watching the truck constantly do all kinds of reboots and a solid 30 minutes on the phone with support. I was driving home in silence just thinking about how nice an iX would feel at that moment. I feel like I've cooled down a little on just how angry I am about this situation (and partially at myself for even kicking off the update), but I'm still on the fence about keeping this truck. It's overall a wonderful vehicle, of course, but these growing pains aren't getting better, they're only getting worse. I feel like I'm still waiting for this vehicle and Rivian to be "complete", but with every update that passes, and every service request, I feel like we're further and further from a smooth ownership experience. It's quite tiresome. I love my truck, and no other vehicle currently available can match it, when it's working...but it's still just so frequently not.
I completely agree with this sentiment. I LOVE the vehicle, but it is becoming a burden and inconvenience to own. And like you said, there are really no signs of improvement. If anything, things are getting worse.
If I could sell it for what I paid, it'd be a tough decision.
Sponsored