Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
make the phone your key if you choose
In the Support Center, under ”How Does Delivery Work?”, it sounds like they will have this feature.
On delivery day you can track your vehicle’s journey through the Rivian app and upon arrival set it up as a digital key so you can immediately get on the road.”
Sponsored

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

Developer APIs on the server side to be able to collect all sort of telemetry and metrics, like what TeslaFi does but officially supported by the manufacfurer

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Rivian teased the idea of having the truck/suv drop you off and then meet you at the other end of a trail head.
Related to this, I was thinking about their Adventure Network and how they are likely to be situated near trailheads and hikes. I would feel pretty shitty about plugging in to one of say two spots when I got to a trailhead, getting charged up in about an hour, and then having the spot wasted while I'm struggling on the trail :CWL: . It would be a really cool feature if our Rivians were able to talk to each other and use some variation of the Summon functionality to vacate a charging spot to allow another Rivian to charge. Maybe you get a notification on your phone with a "spot swap" request, and if you hit yes, you allow the new person to unplug your Rivian and initiate the swap ... something like that would be pretty neat.

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Rivian Navigation...
  • Must have the ability to create, edit, store, share, load GPS Tracks.
  • Paired web interface for trip planning. Mobile/Desktop
  • Downloadable offline maps for venturing into the boonies where LTE may be unavailable
  • Topographical information
Bonus adventurer/explorer needs...
  • Iridium SOS abilities (similar to Garmin inReach) along with SAR insurance plans.
  • Satellite messaging

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
A mode for limited acceleration. Maybe 0-60 in 6 seconds or similar. Require a password or pin to unlock the full acceleration.

If we keep the Rivian for at least a few years, my kids will be old enough to drive it. I don't want a 16 year old driving an SUV with this kinda of power. It would be nice to be able to limit the acceleration in particular.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
"Nag Mode" - The ability to record and upload specific phrases/noises/utterances one's significant other makes when displeasure is voiced. This can be incorporated into various features/alarms/notifications, etc. This could make one feel "at home" while flying solo on long road trips! ;)

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
A mode for limited acceleration. Maybe 0-60 in 6 seconds or similar. Require a password or pin to unlock the full acceleration.

If we keep the Rivian for at least a few years, my kids will be old enough to drive it. I don't want a 16 year old driving an SUV with this kinda of power. It would be nice to be able to limit the acceleration in particular.
Would this be done for valet mode, too? Hope it has that.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Some sort of Sentry mode appears to be in the works. On the website describing the "Gear Guard" feature they say:

a cut-resistant locking cable that wraps around your gear and plugs into the bed wall – connecting directly into the vehicle security system. Remotely monitor your gear through the Rivian app and receive instant alerts if the system senses an interruption. A camera in the bed also monitors your gear. "
I would expect the app lets you access those cameras remotely.

In one video this February, Brian Gates also said that Alexa will be integrated into the vehicle's body ECU. That's sort of insane, and gives me some pause about the IoT security. But you should be able to use Alexa to control everything in the vehicle short of driving it. Moreover, you should also be able to use an Alexa device to access and control the vehicle. In the short term, that likely means you can ask Alexa to set the navigation and check the battery charge without going to the garage or opening an app. That also opens up some crazy potential for the future. If they were to add a summon feature, you can imagine how you might be able to use Alexa to pull your vehicle out of the garage on its own.

catmandew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE, Lexus ES 350, Chevrolet S10
3.5mm Aux input to stereo (for CB or HAM radio, etc)

I'm concerned that Bluetooth wouldn't work for the use case I have in mind (though I could certainly be wrong). I want to have a Bluetooth connection between the vehicle's audio system & my phone to handle phone calls. While this 1:1 Bluetooth connection is "occupied" (though idle), I would want to use the vehicle's speakers for the HAM radio's output (& use the HAM radio's push-to-talk mic for input). I think this would require Bluetooth for the phone PLUS an auxiliary physical connection between the HAM radio & the vehicle's audio system. I'd love to hear of a workaround - so, thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The way Aux audio input seems to be handled these days is via low power FM (stereo) transmitters or BlueTooth interfaces in the equipment to be connected. This is, for example, how one gets XM radio in the Teslas that do not come with the receiver built in. This requires nothing of the vehicle designer - hardware or software.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Have had our Model X for 3.5 years. They've steadily added and tweaked features since the day we got it.

Auto pilot improvements are great for the rare times I use AP, but I won't miss them in the Rivian if it falls behind. Smart summon in the app is a fun party trick, but I've never used it in the real world. Nothing else has been Earth shattering.

We mostly treat it as "a car" that we "drive", and all the fancy features are easy to ignore.

In addition to experience with everything it offers - and everything it DOESN'T offer - we also have other cars. Current and previous ones, way dumber ones, that have what the Tesla lacks.

So I'm 100% sure of this answer for what I wish the Rivian supported.

CarPlay.

4mk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Have had our Model X for 3.5 years. They've steadily added and tweaked features since the day we got it.

Auto pilot improvements are great for the rare times I use AP, but I won't miss them in the Rivian if it falls behind. Smart summon in the app is a fun party trick, but I've never used it in the real world. Nothing else has been Earth shattering.

We mostly treat it as "a car" that we "drive", and all the fancy features are easy to ignore.

In addition to experience with everything it offers - and everything it DOESN'T offer - we also have other cars. Current and previous ones, way dumber ones, that have what the Tesla lacks.

So I'm 100% sure of this answer for what I wish the Rivian supported.

CarPlay.
Apple Car Play

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs