Sponsored

So No Deliveries in 2020?

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I've read that Electrify America has largely resolved its earlier issues and is now highly rated in user surveys. Apparently their early expansion plans were so aggressive that they had to source chargers from four different manufacturers and consequently were working with myriad software systems which made resolving issues very difficult. If I remember correctly, they are now sourcing chargers from one supplier as well as having made progress in resolving software inconsistencies among the earlier suppliers.

They're still not quite as easy to use as a Tesla supercharger, where you simply plug in your car and let the system identify the car and bill any charges to the payment method on file. However, Electrify America is addressing some of that issue for subscribers who pay a $4/month membership fee (which also gets you a discount on charging costs).

The thing I dislike about all the charger stations I've seen -- Tesla's included -- is that most of them are not under roofs as most gas pumps are. Plugging and unplugging your car in a Florida downpour is annoying, to say the least. Given what it probably costs to put in a charging station, the additional cost of putting a roof over the charging station would probably be relatively insignificant.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I've read that Electrify America has largely resolved its earlier issues and is now highly rated in user surveys. Apparently their early expansion plans were so aggressive that they had to source chargers from four different manufacturers and consequently were working with myriad software systems which made resolving issues very difficult. If I remember correctly, they are now sourcing chargers from one supplier as well as having made progress in resolving software inconsistencies among the earlier suppliers.

They're still not quite as easy to use as a Tesla supercharger, where you simply plug in your car and let the system identify the car and bill any charges to the payment method on file. However, Electrify America is addressing some of that issue for subscribers who pay a $4/month membership fee (which also gets you a discount on charging costs).

The thing I dislike about all the charger stations I've seen -- Tesla's included -- is that most of them are not under roofs as most gas pumps are. Plugging and unplugging your car in a Florida downpour is annoying, to say the least. Given what it probably costs to put in a charging station, the additional cost of putting a roof over the charging station would probably be relatively insignificant.
They're still not quite as easy to use as a Tesla supercharger, where you simply plug in your car and let the system identify the car and bill any charges to the payment method on file---Ford is going to do the same thing with their Mach E and the Ford Pass Charging network: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/?gnav=header-all-vehicles This means all auto companies can do the same.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
The thing I dislike about all the charger stations I've seen -- Tesla's included -- is that most of them are not under roofs as most gas pumps are. Plugging and unplugging your car in a Florida downpour is annoying, to say the least.
Yes! Been saying the same thing for a while now. I have even gone as far as mentioning the other amenities one finds at gas stations that would still be useful with EVs, such as a squeegee, windshield solvent and paper towels to remove that lovely bug juice. Yes, I know these are consumables so there's the ongoing cost in addition to having to pay someone to refill them. That's why it always made sense to me to also target gas stations as logical locations to install charging stations where possible. People are not only already familiar with gas stations but most highways already have signage indicating where to find the next one. Some time ago I read a couple of the major oil companies (I believe Shell and possibly BP Amoco?) not only looking into this but had started installing charging stations at some of their respective gas stations. Besides reading about a handful in California I really haven't heard anything new on this front lately.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Yes! Been saying the same thing for a while now. I have even gone as far as mentioning the other amenities one finds at gas stations that would still be useful with EVs, such as a squeegee, windshield solvent and paper towels to remove that lovely bug juice. Yes, I know these are consumables so there's the ongoing cost in addition to having to pay someone to refill them. That's why it always made sense to me to also target gas stations as logical locations to install charging stations where possible. People are not only already familiar with gas stations but most highways already have signage indicating where to find the next one. Some time ago I read a couple of the major oil companies (I believe Shell and possibly BP Amoco?) not only looking into this but had started installing charging stations at some of their respective gas stations. Besides reading about a handful in California I really haven't heard anything new on this front lately.
There are several Shell stations in the Phoenix area with chargers, but most are Level 2. ChsrgePoint and EA are now starting to install at truck stops and gas stations in rural areas along freeways. FYI, every once in a while I pull my Bolt into a gas station and clean the windshield. Here are some examples:

1) ChargePoint has a station in Flagstaff at Swift Travel Center
2) EA is building sites in Quartzsite and Dateland Arizona at truck stops
3) EA has a site at a Chevron station in Lordsburg NM
4) ChargePoint has two DFDCs in Chircoa Summit in CA at a gas station and restaurant..
5) ChargePoint has a DFDC at a gas station in Indio CA
Sponsored