Snow Plow?!

mrsparks

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram EcoDiesel
Has anyone heard if the Rivian will have a substantial enough frame to support a snow plow? That would be a necessity for me being from up north. I have at the current time a light duty model mounted to my Dodge 1500.
Sponsored

killaz05

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Mustang, 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
I would like to think if the vehicle can tow 11k like a dodge 1500 that the frame would be sturdy enough for a snow plow. Just my train of thought

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Do you really want to plow snow with such a costly vehicle? Much better vehicles for plowing. I think you are just playing to the audience.

OP
OP

mrsparks

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram EcoDiesel
Do you really want to plow snow with such a costly vehicle? Much better vehicles for plowing. I think you are just playing to the audience.
Rivian has online videos of their vehicles maneuvering through off road obstacles, kicking up dirt and traversing up to three feet of water. A plow doesn't put as much stress on a vehicle unless it's used for commercial purposes.

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
Snow Plowing in Tank Mode would be epic youtube footage... haha... Can it? sure. IF there are mounting compatible mounting points for the plow. Again, this frame/ skateboard chassis is not typical.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Snow Plowing in Tank Mode would be epic youtube footage... haha... Can it? sure. IF there are mounting compatible mounting points for the plow. Again, this frame/ skateboard chassis is not typical.
That would be cool. However, there will be plenty of time to figure that out. It's not likely tank turn capability will be available with the r1t r1s. According to Charles, Rivian lead engineer, it requires a smaller wheelbase. Might be available with the next generation or future Rivian models. A Rivian team lead told me at the Normal event that the next EAVs will be smaller versions of the current ones, so presumably a smaller wheelbase.

aern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki Swift, HZJ 75
That would be cool. However, there will be plenty of time to figure that out. It's not likely tank turn capability will be available with the r1t r1s. According to Charles, Rivian lead engineer, it requires a smaller wheelbase. Might be available with the next generation or future Rivian models. A Rivian team lead told me at the Normal event that the next EAVs will be smaller versions of the current ones, so presumably a smaller wheelbase.
Hello, I am new here but I have to get in on this now . So there will be a smaller version of the pickup? Let's say Hilux sized? For european standards, that would be a much appreciated option. Bigger pickups like tacoma, silverado or rams are not not that common around here.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
So there will be a smaller version of the pickup?
Nothing has been officially announced yet. Rivian indicated earlier this year that they would come out with six new "products" (not necessarily all vehicles) by 2025. Here's an excerpt from AutoBlog article "Rivian opens up about its mid-term plans" back in April that sheds some light on this:

At the New York Auto Show, Rivian founder R.J. Scaringe was more forthcoming about where the EV automaker startup is headed. By 2025 the pickup truck and SUV maker plans to have six products on offer, and at the moment none of them are sedans. Scaringe told Bloomberg Rivian would stick to larger vehicles because of consumer tastes and because trucks and SUVs burn more fuel than cars.

We use the word "products" for whatever's on the way since one of the items in development might not be an automobile. Rivian recently completed a $700 million funding round with Amazon as the lead investor. One of the six products was born of that deal, but Scaringe said it is "not necessarily a vehicle."

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I mean recently announced that they stiffened up the 'Front End' substantially. Whatever that means. After the few feet that was dropped on the greater Seattle Area last weekend. I should would have liked to be able to throw a modest plow setup on the front and help some neighbors out.

Coincidentally the neighbor across the street works for the City and saw her drive her plow rig home the other day for lunch break then it was back to cleaning all the arterials in the area that afternoon, but there were plenty of alleys and smaller streets that just had to get by until a few feet of fluffy frozen water dissipated.

Now the question is..since it's my Ladie's truck...will she let me? I mean no one plows our alley which is the big problem for us...getting out of our garage which is slightly. Getting out after we take delivery won't be an issue, but it'll still be an issue for others.

I also saw a huge Ram Dually on the way to work this morning and made me think of this and was about to start another thread lol ;) Is it Spring 2022 yet?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would never install a plow on a vehicle I cared about.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I would never install a plow on a vehicle I cared about.
I installed a medium duty plow on a vehicle I care about and have zero concerns or problems. It's not the installation of the plow, it's how you use it. If you care about the vehicle, and know how to plow (which includes surveying the area for hazards before it snows), there's zero issues. I've had my plow on my Avalanche for 7 years and probably 50+ plowing sessions at home (500 foot driveway) and at a business I own (about 12,000 sq feet to plow), roughly 4-5 hours of use per snow event. I would put a plow on my Rivian if someone offers it.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Bumping this thread because I've been thinking about this of late. With WFH looking to be permanent for me, I've been thinking about moving to a more rural area with a chunk of land that I'm likely to need to plow myself.

Compared with ICEs, the front of the R1T doesn't seem to offer a lot of opportunity to attach something like a plow. Currently I don't have the offroad kit configured because 2k for hooks seems excessive, but maybe the hooks would be necessary for a plow?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Bumping this thread because I've been thinking about this of late. With WFH looking to be permanent for me, I've been thinking about moving to a more rural area with a chunk of land that I'm likely to need to plow myself.

Compared with ICEs, the front of the R1T doesn't seem to offer a lot of opportunity to attach something like a plow. Currently I don't have the offroad kit configured because 2k for hooks seems excessive, but maybe the hooks would be necessary for a plow?
Plows destroy vehicles, as far as I’m concerned. Resale value is certainly affected.

buy a beater to plow, if you need it. Don’t use a rivian.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

I'd be more concerned about voiding your warranty. Not sure if the warranty fine print lists that acceptable modification or even if they list that type of stuff at all
Sponsored