First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
When driving on snow and ice is a higher or lower pressure advisable? I have Bridgestone KO2 on my Rivian and. am running them at 60psi since the tires have a higher load rating. Should I lower them back to 48 for snow driving?
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

When driving on snow and ice is a higher or lower pressure advisable? I have Bridgestone KO2 on my Rivian and. am running them at 60psi since the tires have a higher load rating. Should I lower them back to 48 for snow driving?
You want to cut through snow, typically you wouldn't air down

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m more concerned with Ice.
My $0.02 - I would think lower would give you better grip on ice (more surface area in contact with the ground). I have my Blizzaks at 46 (I've been meaning to top them back up to 48ish though)

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I have the Blizzacks at 50 psi. Just had my first real test with them, yesterday. took a 40 miles, each way, drive into the Sierras to ski, after a fairly substantial storm. My R1T was great!! Snow and slick conditions all the way, with temps in the low 20’s, the truck felt totally planted - very, very confidence inspiring. Switched out the Pirelli A/T’s and glad I did. I’ll give a good deal of the credit to the Blizzacks.

Sponsored

CoalCreek

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Performance Max Pack)
I have the Blizzacks at 50 psi. Just had my first real test with them, yesterday. took a 40 miles, each way, drive into the Sierras to ski, after a fairly substantial storm. My R1T was great!! Snow and slick conditions all the way, with temps in the low 20’s, the truck felt totally planted - very, very confidence inspiring. Switched out the Pirelli A/T’s and glad I did. I’ll give a good deal of the credit to the Blizzacks.
What wheels did you go with for the Blizzacks?

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Most rally cars run very skinny tires to increase the contact pressure and cut through the ice. Snow is like sand. Low pressure creates floatation and allows the tire to climb instead of dig a round hole.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I thought the R1T door Jamb said 48 PSI? Or does mine saay that because the truck came with 21" Scorpion Verde's AT ?

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
@Greg Chick : The door says 48 with the stock tires. Lots of people have gone with an LT tire as a replacement and they have a higher rating...most people increase to 60-65lb on those.

Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

The higher PSI as per the tire capacity says, and since the tire rating is for the heavy load of an R1T, the pressure limit is as per design? OK. that makes sense, too bad I got 21", no options...

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE