Slow Speed Front Tire Slip / steering Wheel Slip

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
I searched the threadand found a few posts talking about this, but not a ton of discussion, so I wanted to start a dedicated thread.

Issue: when turning the steering wheel sharp at a slow speed - let’s say backing out of your driveway or entering a parking spot - I feel the wheels slip like they are almost “folding”, as well as a looseness/slip in the steering wheel.

is this normal? Seems a little odd and worries us about hurting the tires when we experience it.
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I searched the threadand found a few posts talking about this, but not a ton of discussion, so I wanted to start a dedicated thread.

Issue: when turning the steering wheel sharp at a slow speed - let’s say backing out of your driveway or entering a parking spot - I feel the wheels slip like they are almost “folding”, as well as a looseness/slip in the steering wheel.

is this normal? Seems a little odd and worries us about hurting the tires when we experience it.
It is called "hop", and it is normal.

The R1 has a steering geometry that gives it a good turning radius for its size. A side effect of this aggressive geometry is the "hop" that you feel.

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

It is called "hop", and it is normal.

The R1 has a steering geometry that gives it a good turning radius for its size. A side effect of this aggressive geometry is the "hop" that you feel.
Dang, today I learned... TY

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
You will especially notice it when in highest ride height. If concerned you can always ask service to check it out.
Also of note....at the highest suspension setting the steering doesn't self center....in fact the opposite. Again....due to that geometry change.

Sponsored

bbonkk

First Name
howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroen 2cv6, Tesla Model 3, Sprinter van, BMW x5
Occupation
pain in the ass
Clubs

I have a R1s and does that a lot. Especially on a smooth multi story concrete parking lot and when I pull out of my driveway. I now have a R1t on loaner and no such hopping. My vehicle is at SC in El Segundo now for review. Also notice problems on ice patches in Mammoth, vehicle wants to start sliding side ways when only one or two wheels are on the patch of snow.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a R1s and does that a lot. Especially on a smooth multi story concrete parking lot and when I pull out of my driveway. I now have a R1t on loaner and no such hopping. My vehicle is at SC in El Segundo now for review. Also notice problems on ice patches in Mammoth, vehicle wants to start sliding side ways when only one or two wheels are on the patch of snow.
With its longer wheelbase, the T's larger turning circle causes it to hop less than the S. Also, the DM's seem to hop less than the QM's.
Sponsored