Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

Repair job doesn’t REPLACE the damaged parts. If I tap a mail box then I try to bend it out myself or have an affordable repair. You hit me, we’re going to the body shop for a proper job to return the vehicle to its state prior to the accident.

Insurance claims should always be to replace all damaged parts with new components, ALL the electrical components in the vicinity, any and all even minority bent parts that are not visible, potential minor damage far from just the visibly impacted panel, paint, and certify the repair.

This takes considerably more man hours than just swapping and painting the dinged panels.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Seems really high to me. Why so much labor?
New door. New fender. New trimmings (badges what-not) or labor to transfer. Labor to prep and prime. Labor to sand primer layer smooth prior to paint. Labor to paint, color block and polish, including blending on all adjacent panels (beyond ones damaged/repaired).

They may elect to repair existing damaged panels, but that takes time and labor. In the end, whichever costs your insurance less is what's estimated.

Body work is never cheap. If you go cheap, you will regret it and ruin your ownership experience (speaking from experience).

Last edited:

alistairg

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Quad
Seems a little high, but not shockingly so (!). Some idiot t-boned me at about 15mph in November. Still waiting for their insurance company to stop messing about, but we're at about $17k before we can even get the rear door open and assess if it's worse.

Rivian R1T R1S Slight Sideswipe in Parking Lot - Guess How Much to FIX?? IMG_0419

OP
OP

smwwilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T coming
Seems a little high, but not shockingly so (!). Some idiot t-boned me at about 15mph in November. Still waiting for their insurance company to stop messing about, but we're at about $17k before we can even get the rear door open and assess if it's worse.

IMG_0419.jpg
Ooof. I hope his text went through

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

New door. New fender. New trimmings (badges what-not) or labor to transfer. Labor to prep and prime. Labor to sand primer layer smooth prior to paint. Labor to paint, color block and polish, including blending on all adjacent panels (beyond ones damaged/repaired).

They may elect to repair existing damaged panels, but that takes time and labor. In the end, whichever costs your insurance less is what's estimated.

Body work is never cheap. If you go cheap, you will regret it and ruin your ownership experience (speaking from experience).
No I get that. It's not cheap but even at $100 an hour and $8,000 labor charge would be a full 80 hours worth of work. Seems like I got into the wrong business.

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Idk if I got lucky, but I literally ripped the gear tunnel door off mine. New door, hinge and paint, $4k.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

This is $7k in damage on my Land Cruiser

Rivian R1T R1S Slight Sideswipe in Parking Lot - Guess How Much to FIX?? IMG_2482

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not surprised at all with that.

Last edited:

Ervin Hagerup

First Name
Erv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I got slightly sideswiped in a parking lot. The guy was basically going the same direction as me and scuffed up the door and very slightly the front side panel.

2600 parts
1400 "sublet/miscellaneous"
8700 labor
400 paint
900 tax

Thoughts?

riv.jpg
Coulda bought a new Door for that! the scratches could have been patched up!

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I got slightly sideswiped in a parking lot. The guy was basically going the same direction as me and scuffed up the door and very slightly the front side panel.

2600 parts
1400 "sublet/miscellaneous"
8700 labor
400 paint
900 tax

Thoughts?

riv.jpg
Who gave you the quote? Are you restricted to certain shops by insurance?

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I need to go into the body shop business.
As a dentist that price would include me pulling all your upper teeth , surgically placing 4 implants and making you a custom denture that snaps onto them.

Body work seems like it should cost less than surgery that has much higher training requirement and much higher risk?

They egregiously pump bills because insurance is involved.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
based on The Count's collision experience with his R1S that quote seem in line with his expectations.

Timothykf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt; 2022 R1T Forrest/Black
Cleanup the marks and call it a day, unless the other guy is paying. Hardly noticeable

tjp74

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MB AMG C43 Conv, 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Boeing
Is this where you brag about your driving skills 😂
This really hurt... took me all of the weekend to get over it and finally be able to talk about it other people. I was depressed and ashamed. Couldn't look my wife in the eye.
I did this in the parking lot.. speed of 1-3 mph.. with 360 camera and parking sensors :facepalm:

anyways, haven't reported it yet... I have a new teen driver on my policy and another will join in 1.5 years. I have 1 first time accident forgiveness so I have to use that wisely.

It doesn't look bad at first but 3 parts are damaged, including most hard to replace quater panel and the edge where it meets the tailight is crunched pretty good... very sharply. Rivian certified shop will incist on replacing the panel and you know how that goes, entire panel to A pillar, remove every including roof glass, doors, fender. that's $15k easy... really don't want to go there.

Is it true that Rivian only sells parts to certified shops? onlinechat confirmed that but it's hard to beleive that there is no other option. There is just 1 certified collision shop in my area (north seattle, east side with 100 mile radius)will my Geico insurance agree to that? I feel like their are going to insist on taking this to their shop and repair it for like $2k and refuse to pay anything over that.

How about PDR? i know paint is damaged... but PDR combined with traditional panel repair and touch up paint??? Bumper is also damaged but I can live with that. that white line is actually damage to the paint not a paint transfer.

Rivian R1T R1S Slight Sideswipe in Parking Lot - Guess How Much to FIX?? IMG_2433
😂
Sponsored