Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Can anyone explain to me why SiriusXM is so important in 2021?
Because some people like the content and they travel in areas where there is no mobile data coverage so they can’t get it live through the app.

I have SiriusXM hardware in my car but don’t use it so I’m not the best person to defend the inclusion, but, like Android Auto, CarPlay, and HomeLink, many buyers absolutely expect this feature on any new vehicle which isn’t a stripped economy car or something so specialized that it isn’t mainstream.

If 5 year old cars have non-proprietary features which people still use then I expect a modern car to have these features, too, even if they are an extra cost option.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Teslas don’t have Sirius/XM. It’s all streaming which, yes, might be an issue out on a fire road somewhere when you lose connectivity. Then I’d just switch to my phone library til back within coverage.
Out here in the Rocky Mountain West, there’s lots of places where you’ll be on paved roads and not have cell service. That being said, I also just switch to downloaded content on my phone vs. wanting another service (that I’d likely have to pay for) such as Sirius. But also totally understand that others would prefer Sirius. The more they can provide options vs. deciding for us, the happier we all will be ?.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
If only there was a way for them to implement a solution that made it really easy to use the vehicle's screen to access the content that's already downloaded onto my phone for those times when cell reception isn't readily available... I wonder if such a technology exists.

Sorry, I should have let it go, but I couldn't. If anyone wants to get into this week's CP/AA religious war, let's go revive one of the other threads rather than hijack this one ?

Sponsored

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If only there was a way for them to implement a solution that made it really easy to use the vehicle's screen to access the content that's already downloaded onto my phone for those times when cell reception isn't readily available...
I didn't know they had released details on the user interface that showed it did not allow you to access music files on your phone ?‍♂

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I didn't know they had released details on the user interface that showed it did not allow you to access music files on your phone ?‍♂
he’s griping about CarPlay/Android Auto, or the lack thereof. You’ll have Bluetooth audio, but it won’t get much fancier than that, just like Tesla.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Out here in the Rocky Mountain West, there’s lots of places where you’ll be on paved roads and not have cell service. That being said, I also just switch to downloaded content on my phone vs. wanting another service (that I’d likely have to pay for) such as Sirius. But also totally understand that others would prefer Sirius. The more they can provide options vs. deciding for us, the happier we all will be ?.
Serves me right for being specific when I should have just been general! When you lose cellular... regardless of where!

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Some Teslas do have it. It's in my X.

I seem to recall that the manufacturer supplies the boards to the auto OEM free in the hope than a large faction of buyers will subscribe. The ultimate razor blade business.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
They also need to have a compatible antenna installed.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The antenna is most probably a log spiral or patch design and thus a PC board.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S