Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Out here in the Rocky Mountain West, there’s lots of places where you’ll be on paved roads and not have cell service. That being said, I also just switch to downloaded content on my phone vs. wanting another service (that I’d likely have to pay for) such as Sirius. But also totally understand that others would prefer Sirius. The more they can provide options vs. deciding for us, the happier we all will be ?.
Same here in NY state and PA. There are many areas without cell coverage and with minimal terrestrial radio reception. I have used Sirius/XM for well over a decade and would expect to continue using it in the RT1
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I would expect the antenna element to be incorporated in the shark fin on the roof.

sharkfin.png
Yes, I have 3 vehicles with Sirius XM and they all use the shark fin. Satellite comms are susceptible to blockage, so having it inside the vehicle is marginal.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I don't recall any AM/FM bands either. Wouldn't those all more likely be in the Meridian components (receive only), not the vehicle telematics module (transmit and receive)?

Maybe in a head unit scenario but the AMP and the speakers should be indepedant of the radio modules. At least XM bands should be listed as they are more powerful than AM/FM frequency and EIRP ( Effective, or Equivalent, Isotropically Radiated Power ) but I haven't done much more digging to find out.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

What is leading you to believe Rivian is using Mapbox? I see they list GM and BMW.

Its been confirmed on several posts as well as news articles.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe in a head unit scenario but the AMP and the speakers should be indepedant of the radio modules. At least XM bands should be listed as they are more powerful than AM/FM frequency and EIRP ( Effective, or Equivalent, Isotropically Radiated Power ) but I haven't done much more digging to find out.
I haven't been able to find any info in that partiuclar FCC database for anything that doesn't intentionally transmit... but I admittedly didn't spend hours searching.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The part they’re using for the TCM doesn’t have AM/FM or XM capability, as far as I can tell. They’re probably using a different component for that stuff, so it’s impossible to guess one way or the other on SiriusXM from the TCM info.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The part they’re using for the TCM doesn’t have AM/FM or XM capability, as far as I can tell. They’re probably using a different component for that stuff, so it’s impossible to guess one way or the other on SiriusXM from the TCM info.

Wondering if that even needs approval or needs to be even specd when it comes to submitting to the FCC! Could find a example but LOE lol.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Wondering if that even needs approval or needs to be even specd when it comes to submitting to the FCC! Could find a example but LOE lol.
Doesn't look like it. "Most products that can emit radio frequency energy need to be tested and certified to be marketed or sold in the U.S. With few exceptions, any electronics device with the ability to oscillate above 9 kHz must get an FCC authorization."

https://www.eurofinsus.com/electric...rf-testing/fcc-part-15-testing-certification/

A radio module that simply receives and does not emit appears like it does not require review/approval by the FCC.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Doesn't look like it. "Most products that can emit radio frequency energy need to be tested and certified to be marketed or sold in the U.S. With few exceptions, any electronics device with the ability to oscillate above 9 kHz must get an FCC authorization."

https://www.eurofinsus.com/electric...rf-testing/fcc-part-15-testing-certification/

A radio module that simply receives and does not emit appears like it does not require review/approval by the FCC.
There yah go lol ty!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Not exactly. A microchip needs approval as an unintented emitter, but a radio receiver that doesn’t transmit doesn’t need approval for the radio function.
Sponsored