Siping - Whether to do it on Michelin Defender LTX MS/2's

ForeverOnTheWaitlist

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, CRV
Anyone have perspective on tire siping for all-seasons ? Les Schwab suggested it on a new set of Michelin Defender LTX MS/2's - I'm a little skeptical that Michelin wouldn't have already done ideal tire surface texture/shape but. had never heard of it.
tire siping - Brief Consumer Reports test. These are going to be my warm season tires. I plan to get dedicated winter tires (hoping someone there's more 116 winter tire options next fall)
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
The MS2 is one of the best all-seasons I’ve ever run, and Les Schwab sounds like it’s trying for an unnecessary upsell.

I wouldn’t.

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I would not sipe tires for an EV for the main purpose of tread life due to the modification of the surface area of the tire. This is especially not needed if they are your “warm” season tires! If your purpose is drag racing and you need a little extra traction….ok, I guess. The fact that they “recommend” you to sipe your brand new tires for warm weather is interesting. Up charging maybe? I’ve never seen the need to sipe any tires anyway, but I’m sure someone here will have some experience with siping if you feel you need it!

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
They’re just helping you to make your heavy wallet lighter. The tires already have siping. And snow/ice season is already over.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Hard no, solution looking for a problem.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Siping will cause added tread block squirm which both adds heat to the tire and increases rolling resistance thus reducing range. It can also add noise and have negative performance impacts when there isn't snow/ice.

If there were benefits to additional siping, the manufacturer would have included it in the design of the tire. The tire business is ultra-competitive and the top-tier manufacturers aren't leaving any low-hanging fruit in terms of optimization. Siping only compromises an already highly optimized tire.

This is a rip-off, plain and simple.

OP
OP

ForeverOnTheWaitlist

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, CRV
Thanks all, glad I declined. I like Schwab but the idea had a smell to it.

Now I just have to find the right extender so I can inflate the 20" forged valve stem. I think Schwab didn't quite have the right tool handy and struggled with inflation. I bought a little elbow from Amazon. Works just ok. I don't love it.