Silverado RST vs Rivian R1T

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
After seeing all of the ICE manufacturers dragging their feet on EV's for so long, I no longer pay any attention to anything they say about what they will sell in the far off future. Until I can walk into a dealer and see one, it is all vaporware in my book.
Not just this. Until they get past their first edition blues, I'm not lifting a finger on any of these EVs, including and most importantly - Rivian. I want this the most, so I'll gladly wait for later editions or when production has increased enough to have gotten over the "early models off the assembly line" concerns.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
IMO the Silverado is the most interesting alternative out there. The long range and ultrafast charging speed have me sold. Rivian needs to bump the charging speed significantly or I will have no choice but to bail. As of now, however, I am waiting patiently and with hope/confidence that Rivian will sort out the charging speed issue. OTOH, if Chevy comes in at a price of $80k or less for a well equipped model, I would be sorely tempted in that direction. Love the mid-gate. The SuperCruise is excellent and getting better.

I should add: it is beyond me how anyone would seriously consider the Lightning. The charging speed and modest range make it all but unusable for road trips. Ford needs to up its game or just cede the market to GM.
While I also have a EValanche reservation, and have similar thoughts, hope the R1T comes as planned. As to the Lightning, and your question... I think it's because as of today, we have VIN numbers assigned to May builds... So I placed my order as well being I got a wave email last week. Still, if the R1T stays on schedule, that's what I may end up with, but I am hedging my bets.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I love the look of the Silverado. The Rivian is attractive for its "in the middle" size. I love the Hummer as well, but leaned against it because of its size. The Silverado is close to the same size, even longer. But it sure does look nice. Subjective of course. I've never been in love with the look of the Rivian. It's not bad. Just doesn't have the wow factor for me. Again, subjective. But, the sizing is very appealing. Sadly, the Rivian is already starting to feel a bit dated to me. Probably because I've been looking at for so long already. The Silverado and Hummer are new and exciting. The F-150 is boring, being that it looks like the other million a year trucks that they produce. The longer Rivian makes me wait, the more likely I'll jump ship for one of the newer shinier options coming. The size had me locked in. But as more time passes, I start thinking I could live with the larger vehicle. Which, is bringing the Hummer back into play as well. If Rivian can deliver this year as promised, I'll probably get it, but if it takes much longer, odds are, I'll be too tempted by the other options and jump ship.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
I know pricing and timing is not quite clear but as far as timing goes, for people like me that are in back of the line with Rivian and front of the line with Silverado, it may end up being close enough if Rivian has more delays. As far as pricing goes, GM has to price it competitively so lets assume there is a version of RST that matches R1T large pack on range, price, timing and niceties. Which one would you pick? Why? Your thought process?

For me the following on Silverado is attractive:

Midgate and more usable bed.
10.2 KWh power output.
Charging speed
Android auto
Potentially less expensive repairs for an out of warranty truck (pure assumption and speculation)

I do like to support Rivian and donā€™t mind the risk with a new company. I assume R1 is faster but that is not a big deal for me. I donā€™t have a strong feeling about the look of neither. My reservation is for R1S but I am always on the edge of switching to R1T.

I am interested in your thoughts, even if you considered Silverado but decided not to make a reservation.
I wouldn't buy anything GM makes - not going to spend my hard-earned $$ on crap!

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I prefer the R1T. Have a Silverado reservation. Canceled my Lightning reservation, Ford screwed me out of my MME.

In todayā€™s Rivian world a $100 deposit for a plan B seems worth it and logical.

My R1T window is July-September 22. I am optimistic that will only slip by a year.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
As someone who bought the first year Avalanche new in 2002, kept it twelve years, and still regret selling it, the Evalanche is a potential dream come true. Flexibility, battery tech, faster charging, and 10kW gen capability are big plusses over the R1T, as are conventional controls, AA/CP, etc. The big negative is the size. And I am only interested in the yet-to-be seen ~$70k-ish version.

That said, I really like the R1T, especially the overall size. I wish the frunk was cut to the bumper and that the bed was Ridgeline length instead of Maverick length, but neither of those are deal breakers if I get a chance to actually buy one.

The Lightning is really an interim tech product solely to be first to market. I will only buy a lower priced version, if allowed to, as an interim to get me to a R1T or Evalanche. If Rivian would provide a delivery estimate I would gladly cancel that Ford reservation.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I would rather have a midgate than the gear tunnel. I owned an Avalanche and loved it. But the Rivian is a better value and a better size. The midgate may be a very expensive option. The good news for me is that my deliveries will probably fall far enough apart the I can sell my Rivian when my Evalanche ships.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
But 1.5 kw on a 130 KW battery and 150KW charging is not enough.
We've seen about 200kw at about 50% with the R1T, and both CarandDriver and MotorTrend have put in print that Rivian has hold them that the tricks are capable of 300kw charging.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
We've seen about 200kw at about 50% with the R1T, and both CarandDriver and MotorTrend have put in print that Rivian has hold them that the tricks are capable of 300kw charging.
This is what I am counting on. If Rivian gets the charging speed up then for my money it wins hands down. If it does not, the Avalanche is a real alternative. (Still getting a Cybertruck, though because that is what the wife wants. 'Nuff said.)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Still getting a Cybertruck, though because that is what the wife wants. 'Nuff said.)
Wow, it is usually the other way around and the wife is anti-CT.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
I had not paid attention to the Silverado, and did not realize its battery tech. They now have my attention.

In the FWIW category, our GMC Sierra 6.2L with heavy tow package has been tremendous. 20+ mpg highway no load. Iā€™m not a brand loyalist and understand the 4 cylinder deactivation has caused others problems.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Wow, it is usually the other way around and the wife is anti-CT.
What can I say, she loves the CT design and at her job with a parking lot full of full-sized and oversized pickups I think she will have a lot of fun having the badass CT to irritate the oil boys. I honestly cannot think of a better reason to buy a CT truck than to irritate the my-truck-is-bigger-than-yours boys club she has to deal with. :)

• Haha

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Well, Rivian's price hike by over 20% today just make my decision a very easy one. Was a tough decision previously, but now Rivian no longer has an attractive price point for me to justify compromising on inferior aspects of the more dated Rivian styling and capabilities. The Silverado just became far more attractive. Once Rivian confirms what we already know, I'll be cancelling my reservation.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Well, Rivian's price hike by over 20% today just make my decision a very easy one. Was a tough decision previously, but now Rivian no longer has an attractive price point for me to justify compromising on inferior aspects of the more dated Rivian styling and capabilities. The Silverado just became far more attractive. Once Rivian confirms what we already know, I'll be cancelling my reservation.
Yup. It makes total sense. Silverado RST has no trim / price info for mid grade trims yet so that could be a crap shoot too but If I can get a 300 mile RST with mid gate for around $70K, that is a no brainer. Regardless of what GM does, Rivian just priced me out with their specs.
Sponsored