Sponsored

Silverado RST vs Rivian R1T

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I know pricing and timing is not quite clear but as far as timing goes, for people like me that are in back of the line with Rivian and front of the line with Silverado, it may end up being close enough if Rivian has more delays. As far as pricing goes, GM has to price it competitively so lets assume there is a version of RST that matches R1T large pack on range, price, timing and niceties. Which one would you pick? Why? Your thought process?

For me the following on Silverado is attractive:

Midgate and more usable bed.
10.2 KWh power output.
Charging speed
Android auto
Potentially less expensive repairs for an out of warranty truck (pure assumption and speculation)

I do like to support Rivian and don’t mind the risk with a new company. I assume R1 is faster but that is not a big deal for me. I don’t have a strong feeling about the look of neither. My reservation is for R1S but I am always on the edge of switching to R1T.

I am interested in your thoughts, even if you considered Silverado but decided not to make a reservation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Silverado is too big. R1T is goldilocks size.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

RST is going to be a better option for people who need a truck. The R1T is going to be just as capable for anyone who wants a truck that only needs to use it as one occasionally.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
And the SilvErado is $103,000... For a Chevy...
Remember the question was with the assumption of a $70K Chevy but I get your point. I have the same problem with a Ford badge on a vehicle. But personally totally fine with GM products.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Remember the question was with the assumption of a $70K Chevy but I get your point. I have the same problem with a Ford badge on a vehicle. But personally totally fine with GM products.
I am OK with GM as well, but the price point has to be in line with their quality. You asked us to make the assumption that there is a comparably priced RST, but your assumptions also maintained the feature set and performance of the $103,000 version. In order to reduce the theoretical cost, there must be a corresponding drop in features/performance/quality so I wasn't sure how else to respond.
It seems like the question then boils down to which one do we think looks better?

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I am OK with GM as well, but the price point has to be in line with their quality. You asked us to make the assumption that there is a comparably priced RST, but your assumptions also maintained the feature set and performance of the $103,000 version. In order to reduce the theoretical cost, there must be a corresponding drop in features/performance/quality so I wasn't sure how else to respond.
It seems like the question then boils down to which one do we think looks better?
Obviously my assumption does not go as far as making RST exact copy of R1S

$103K is a 400 mile range more in line with the first version of Hummer. I am talking a 300 mile range RST maybe without glass roof with mid grade audio. no multi-sectioned damped tailgate. No 4 wheel steering. Two motors not three with less HP and Less acceleration than R1T. May be 9K towing capacity. Based on Hummer pricing, they may drop charging speed for $70K variety to 250. But let’s assume, it will have the midgate, 10.2 KW output, full size spare, Telescoping rack option, Apple CarPlay and android auto. By same niceties, I meant heated seat, safety and digital gadgetry.

With this set up. I think I will be leaning toward Silverado given the same availability. I find the midgate design much more useful than gear tunnel and I want that 10.2 KW power. If Rivian could give me half of that with 250+ KW DC fast charging, I would be fine. But 1.5 kw on a 130 KW battery and 150KW charging is not enough. I do agree with you that driving around in a Rivian has much more cool factor than in a Chevy but I am just too old to care what others think.

All that said, if Rivian stays with my window, I will be driving an R1 regardless of what Chevy has to offer.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I put in a reservation for the Silverado also,. Right now, I prefer the Rivian because we know what we are supposed to get (well, s00n anyways). We can guess what about $70k will get for the Silverado, but we really don't know. I do prefer the smaller size of the Rivian, and if the RAN network get built out and is exclusive for Rivian owners, thats a bonus also. I'd rather not compete with a bunch of other drivers/vehicles for charging during a road trip.

My R1T build estimate is/was 2022 Q4. The Silverados (non-work) version start to ship later 2023. Which one comes sooner?

Also, I am hoping more appealing, affordable EVs come out, I don't necessarily want to spend $70k (or more) on a vehicle, even if it is extremely capable.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
IMO the Silverado is the most interesting alternative out there. The long range and ultrafast charging speed have me sold. Rivian needs to bump the charging speed significantly or I will have no choice but to bail. As of now, however, I am waiting patiently and with hope/confidence that Rivian will sort out the charging speed issue. OTOH, if Chevy comes in at a price of $80k or less for a well equipped model, I would be sorely tempted in that direction. Love the mid-gate. The SuperCruise is excellent and getting better.

I should add: it is beyond me how anyone would seriously consider the Lightning. The charging speed and modest range make it all but unusable for road trips. Ford needs to up its game or just cede the market to GM.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I do like the midgate. I prefer the frunk of the Ford and Chevy over the Rivian. But I don't need or want a full sized truck.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
An R1T with a midgate, and a frunk that opens with the grill would be a perfect combination.

I can see the merits in both. Still prefer the R1T, but I could "settle" for a Silverado.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The Silverado EV is a pretty cool truck. I placed a reservation after I saw the “event” rolling it out, but a week later I cancelled it when I realized that in comparison the R1T was a much better value.

The timing on the Silverado models is still totally unknown other than we know they are starting with the “WT” work trim, then the RST First Edition at approximately $105,000. After that I have read they plan to sell multiple trims, including a “regular“ RST, Trail Boss, etc. I’m sure at least one of those later models will fall in the same price range as the R1T but which one and when? 2 years? You would likely have your R1T by then even if you just ordered it.

And I do think there is something to be said for the Chevy badge not being “worth” $105,000. Yes, the Silverado has cutting edge battery tech, 4 wheel steering and a cool mid gate function but in 5 years none of that will seem so revolutionary. And Chevy vehicles typically don’t hold their value that well. I think those who shell out for the $105k version will regret it later.

IMHO The only area the R1T doesn’t beat the Silverado is the battery. The Rivian is a far nicer package in all other areas.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I agree with you on the value of Rivian. I doubt even South Koreans could beat it In the next two years.

Yes, the Silverado has cutting edge battery tech, 4 wheel steering and a cool mid gate function but in 5 years none of that will seem so revolutionary
GMC had 4 wheel steering over two decades ago and today Tesla is trying to copy it in Cybertruck and label it as revolutionary. Avalanche had the mid-gate over two decades ago and Cybertruck reservation holders are begging Elon to add it to Cybertruck today. These are not fads. They are useful designs people will always want. I think any EV you buy today will seem like a mistake in 5 years but not because of those features. And in 5 years if you have an outage, 10.2 KW of power is much more useful than 1.5 KW.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. I have to admit, Rivian is much easier to like. Those adds with puppies and smiling young people really do work. Sopranos music rocks but after whacking a few people and throwing them in back of your Silverado, you may want to retire and go off road, live a good life with your Rivian.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree with you on the value of Rivian. I doubt even South Koreans could beat it In the next two years.

GMC had 4 wheel steering over two decades ago and today Tesla is trying to copy it in Cybertruck and label it as revolutionary. Avalanche had the mid-gate over two decades ago and Cybertruck reservation holders are begging Elon to add it to Cybertruck today. These are not fads. They are useful designs people will always want. I think any EV you buy today will seem like a mistake in 5 years but not because of those features. And in 5 years if you have an outage, 10.2 KW of power is much more useful than 1.5 KW.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. I have to admit, Rivian is much easier to like. Those adds with puppies and smiling young people really do work. Sopranos music rocks but after whacking a few people and throwing them in back of your Silverado, you may want to retire and go off road, live a good life with your Rivian.
You are probably right - I guess it’s more accurate to ask which vehicle purchase will seem LESS like a mistake LOL.

And I really do think Chevy did a nice job with the Silverado. The Avalanche style midgate is a great option, but to me I find it less potentially useful than the gear tunnel on a R1T. I would still bet on a 2022 R1T having better resale value than an RST First Edition in 5-10 years. But each person should get whichever truck fits their lifestyle best. Life is short!

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
After seeing all of the ICE manufacturers dragging their feet on EV's for so long, I no longer pay any attention to anything they say about what they will sell in the far off future. Until I can walk into a dealer and see one, it is all vaporware in my book.

My prediction is that by the time you can walk into a Chevy dealer and buy one of these, those specs that seem impressive today will be embarrassing at that price point compared to what the newcomers will be offering at that time.
Sponsored