Sponsored

marubicon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Here's my setup (a ChargePoint) ... hardwired to a 60A breaker by a professional.

PXL_20220713_201511733.jpg

pat----
I love the Rivian Charging Only sign! Did you make that or buy that somewhere?
Sponsored

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 20220909_135542

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
And boom goes the dynamite.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_5165
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_5166

...have no idea what happened. Charger has been installed for 1.5 years charging my other PHEV everyday. R1T took a full charge last night and unplugged it this morning. Went over to look at something on my wall outlet and noticed the plug was all melted. It was cold so have no idea how long it has been like this.

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
This is a noob question for sure, but is there an issue with having the box inside the garage but running the cable under the door to charge outside? I'm concerned about the weight of my garage door damaging the charging cable over time as it will come down on top of it as the door closes... Any thoughts?
My issue is that for now, the truck will be parked outside and will need to be charged. In the future, I plan to reclaim the garage as a place to park an expensive asset instead of store garbage... :)
I just put a piece of wood a bit taller than the cable right next to the cable so the wood gets the weight of the garage door. No problem closing the door. Have since moved and can park both EVs in the garage so no longer an issue, but did that for 6-9 months.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

IMG_5165.jpg
IMG_5166.jpg

...have no idea what happened. Charger has been installed for 1.5 years charging my other PHEV everyday. R1T took a full charge last night and unplugged it this morning. Went over to look at something on my wall outlet and noticed the plug was all melted. It was cold so have no idea how long it has been like this.
Do you plug/unplug often? I wonder if that pin was loose and was arcing?

Glad you didn't experience a more catastrophic failure! This is one (of many) reason why hard-wired EVSE installations are superior for regular use, imo.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

IMG_5165.jpg
IMG_5166.jpg

Massive short ... From the looks of it, doesn't seem as though the breaker was tripped, with that amount of damage would have expected it to pull a good amount of current. Did the breaker trip?

Hopefully this was the extent of the damage and nothing else was affected and you and the family are safe.
If you have access to the wire runs, I would suggest inspecting the wires before using the circuit again.

Also wonder if an arc fault breaker would have prevented this.

I think this is why people recommend Hubbell/Bryant recepticles. $100, but built solid.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Glad you didn't experience a more catastrophic failure! This is one (of many) reason why hard-wired EVSE installations are superior for regular use, imo.
No, I've had to unplug/replug about 4 or 5 times in 1.5 years to reset the charger after a power outage. In hindsight I guess I should have just flipped the breaker.

Good advice on the hard wired, I think I'm going that route for my next charger....

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Massive short ... From the looks of it, doesn't seem as though the breaker was tripped, with that amount of damage would have expected it to pull a good amount of current. Did the breaker trip?

Hopefully this was the extent of the damage and nothing else was affected and you and the family are safe.
If you have access to the wire runs, I would suggest inspecting the wires before using the circuit again.

Also wonder if an arc fault breaker would have prevented this.

I think this is why people recommend Hubbell/Bryant recepticles. $100, but built solid.

No, it didn't flip the breaker...

No other damage, honestly I think it could have been like this for awhile. The charger did a full run from 11pm to 7am this morning (I have good off-peak rates). I unplugged the charger from the truck and went over to inspect the outlet for another reason and when I unplugged it I got a nice spark and then noticed all the damage. Went in and flipped the breaker inside and then disassembled everything.

I opened up the charger and everything inside looks fine. Now I have to decide if I want to fool with replacing the power cable (if the manufacturer of the charger will even give me one) or just buy a hard wired charger and then have an electrician come out and take a look at the wires to make sure everything is ok.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

This is one (of many) reason why hard-wired EVSE installations are superior for regular use, imo.
I was actually going to suggest the opposite for back up practicality. E.G., if an EVSE plugged into a 14-50 has a malfunction, one can unplug it and still use the mobile EVSE to charge on the 14-50 outlet.

@FutureTruck - glad damage wasn’t worse and that you, your family, your vehicles, and property are safe.

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Unistrut Trolley to deliver the charge cable.

IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2649.jpeg
Unistrut Trolley to deliver the charge cable.

IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2649.jpeg
Really nice! Can you point me to where you purchased the overhead rail system and specific hardware? This would actually work very nice in my garage.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
In full disclosure, I don’t yet have an R1T and it will be my first non ICE. I may have the smallest 2-car garage and it will take a shoehorn to park the Rivian.

As for the charger, I went with the Juicebox 40A. Installed it myself and only had a 10’ run because we had a sub panel directly on exterior. I went with the plug v. Hardwire JIC I get a welder or other appliance that can use that power.

I have yet to charge but everything “lights up”, Wi-Fi works, App is ready to go. Just need a truck…

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 72B983BF-7F80-4F07-B8A0-B12AADE1E69A

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here A039DB26-7C71-438D-9B28-F53C9B97411D

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
...have no idea what happened.
Poor contact between that "pin"and the socket causing it to get hot when 40A was drawn through it. Some plug in EVSE have temperature sensors in the plug to detect this or will detect the voltage drop under load and reduce allowable current draw if this happens.

Definitely not a short - that would have tripped the magnetic side of the breaker.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This is one (of many) reason why hard-wired EVSE installations are superior for regular use, imo.
I've never had this failure with a plug-in unit but I have had it with a hard wired one.

Last edited:

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poor contact between that "pin"and the socket causing it to get hot when 40A was drawn through it. Some plug in EVSE have temperature sensors in the plug to detect this or will detect the voltage drop under load and reduce allowable current draw if this happens.

Definitely not a short - that would have tripped the magnetic side of the breaker.
Just to clarify, are you saying it was from poor contact between the male plug "pin" (that turned black) and the Nema wall receptacle (that melted)?
Sponsored