Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Wonder if I can get some input from the hive. I know next to nothing about electrical systems. We got the RIvian wall charger, and just had an electrician over to give an estimate for installation. Turns out our box in the garage is maxed out and can't support the 50-60 amps for the wall charger. Only choice is to run a dedicated circuit up through our two attics and into the garage from the electrical box on the other side of the house, which will be expensive, or else can double up a 110 line to the charger, which he thinks will basically charge at double the rate we'd get from 110v trickle charging (I may be butchering the explanation here). Anyway I take it this cheaper approach would essentially charge at 3-4miles/hour (or roughly 40 miles a night), as I understand it. I'm inclined to go with the dedicated 60a line, depending how much the quote is, but wondering if this makes sense and if people who have run into this issue in the past have thoughts. Thanks :)
Sounds like they're suggesting taking two 120V circuits that are on different phases and combining them into a single 240V circuit at 15-20A. Derate to 80% for a continuous load and you're capped at 12-16A charging with that setup. That would give you 6-8mph of range gained per hour of charging. I wouldn't want to rely on that, personally.

I would much rather have a 50-60A dedicated circuit, which would give you 20-24 miles of range gained per hour.

How much did the electrician say the dedicated circuit would cost? Only you can decide if it's worthwhile.
Sponsored

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Sounds like they're suggesting taking two 120V circuits that are on different phases and combining them into a single 240V circuit at 15-20A. Derate to 80% for a continuous load and you're capped at 12-16A charging with that setup. That would give you 6-8mph of range gained per hour of charging. I wouldn't want to rely on that, personally.

I would much rather have a 50-60A dedicated circuit, which would give you 20-24 miles of range gained per hour.

How much did the electrician say the dedicated circuit would cost? Only you can decide if it's worthwhile.
Awesome — thanks so much for this. Your explanation sounds similar to what he was saying, so you may be right about what he was proposing.

He hasn't provided the estimate for a dedicated circuit yet, beyond saying it would be “expensive.” Apparently it’s a tough install because the house has a crazy steep roof, and then he’ll have to cut through a wall in the master bedroom to run the circuit from one of our main attic down into the garage.

The good news is my energy utility covers half the cost of installation, so it should only be half as expensive as whatever "expensive" means to him. I'll post the estimate when I have it!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Would be curious about the capacity of the panel in the garage both for breaker space as well as amps, and what the circuits are.

Did you go over the circuits with him? Are there any circuits not being used? For instance I had a 30 amp circuit in my garage not being used. If there are unused circuits that could be retired it could open both space and capacity. Depending on how short the availability is there might be enough to make room for a 50 or 60 amp circuit.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Got the estimate: $2950 for a dedicated 50a line. Ouch!

Here’s what it involves:

“Approximately 90’ run off the exterior panel through 2 different attics. In the bedroom above/beside the garage attic will need to cut sheet rock on the ceiling and the wall in order to gain access. Drywall Repairs are not included in this estimate. This will be a 50 amp with new breaker and electrical permits. The charger will be provided by the customer.”

I can get $900 of that back from the city if I let them monitor the charging but still. Sheesh.

He said they can’t do a dedicated 60a line and had to quote 50a (and would step down the charger from 48a to 42a) because the “meter can and panel aren’t rated for it.”

I am getting another estimate but seems odd to me that a home built in 1992 would be set up for electrical so poorly.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Got the estimate: $2950 for a dedicated 50a line. Ouch!

Here’s what it involves:

“Approximately 90’ run off the exterior panel through 2 different attics. In the bedroom above/beside the garage attic will need to cut sheet rock on the ceiling and the wall in order to gain access. Drywall Repairs are not included in this estimate. This will be a 50 amp with new breaker and electrical permits. The charger will be provided by the customer.”

I can get $900 of that back from the city if I let them monitor the charging but still. Sheesh.

He said they can’t do a dedicated 60a line and had to quote 50a (and would step down the charger from 48a to 42a) because the “meter can and panel aren’t rated for it.”

I am getting another estimate but seems odd to me that a home built in 1992 would be set up for electrical so poorly.
That doesn't seem too bad for 90 feet of copper and two attic traversals. Maybe my prices are skewed but I was quoted $900 for a 60amp install with a very short 4 ft run and no attics. I took the deal but their books got messed up and they never actually charged me...

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
On a 50A circuit you’d be limited to 40A charging. Not 42A.

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

R1S coming from the shop s00n. Years ago had a 50 amp 220 volt outlet put in the garage. Panel is on the opposite side of the house, we were finishing the basement/sheet-rocking. Ran the line to the garage for a car someday. The studs, plug, and gas line aren’t in the best positions, but I made it work with what the electrician left behind.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_1146

Stationmaster

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 1951 MG TD MKII
Occupation
retired educator
Am I the only one to be a bit bothered seeing a 240V line sit across what looks like a natural gas line?

Reactions: Guy

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Yes. That’s the gas line. If it’s leaking I think my ICE vehicles would have been an issue.

My oven is a hybrid, gas range and electric oven. Gas line and outlet are neighbors there too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

advan24r

First Name
Quincy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S60 Polestar Extended Range, Toyota Sienna,
Occupation
Self-employed
Emporia 48A and Solar Edge 40A. Both smart EVSE that will utilize any excess solar power our panels produces.
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here ev charger

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Our Rivian Wall Charger is installed on the post inside the garage between two of our garage doors. This makes the charger readily available for those two garage bays and the two external driveway parking spots.

Brian

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here DSC_0050.JPG