Sponsored

Several Concerns

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I came within one click reserving one. Probably will reserve after September. Maybe more info will come out, but I think I will do it anyway since I do want to get in line. Do you think I will get it before the end of next year if I reserve it in September of this year??
No idea.

My reservation is a lot earlier than you and I'm not even sure if I'll get mine by then.

I could get it in March 2022, November 2022, or July 2023 and none of those dates would surprise me.

It's not a satisfying answer, but until we see how Rivian can ramp-up as well as how they open up deliveries nation-wide, we cannot do anything more than wait.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@Casotakar, Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, their are currently NO technological leaps in battery chemistry/ design that are proven at scale or economically. If tomorrow 7/1/21 this magically appeared it would still be several years before these were delivered to customers in a finished product. That is not to say we are at the pinnacle of battery technology by a long shot just that it will likely be 2030 before any really substantial improvements are delivered and even then a 2022 R1 will not be obsolete. If you wait a decade to purchase the latest and greatest tech. at that point the same premise will be true the next big thing will be right around the corner.
You cannot plan on any OEM ever offering options to update physically large complex systems in aging cars to their newest systems. As mentioned earlier keep in mind a improved battery swap would also mean changing the entire battery management system (physical and software) as well as battery cooling system among others.
If you get hung up on this you will never end up in any EV while the rest of us are living adventurous mobile lives while you are waiting for your obsolete ICE car to be serviced and that will be sad.
Personally I'm embarrassed to be still driving gas cars I can't wait to rid myself of them.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
@Casotakar, Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, their are currently NO technological leaps in battery chemistry/ design that are proven at scale or economically. If tomorrow 7/1/21 this magically appeared it would still be several years before these were delivered to customers in a finished product. That is not to say we are at the pinnacle of battery technology by a long shot just that it will likely be 2030 before any really substantial improvements are delivered and even then a 2022 R1 will not be obsolete. If you wait a decade to purchase the latest and greatest tech. at that point the same premise will be true the next big thing will be right around the corner.
You cannot plan on any OEM ever offering options to update physically large complex systems in aging cars to their newest systems. As mentioned earlier keep in mind a improved battery swap would also mean changing the entire battery management system (physical and software) as well as battery cooling system among others.
If you get hung up on this you will never end up in any EV while the rest of us are living adventurous mobile lives while you are waiting for your obsolete ICE car to be serviced and that will be sad.
Personally I'm embarrassed to be still driving gas cars I can't wait to rid myself of them.
...Back to the Future has already answered this with Hover Conversions... The manufacturers may not offer it, but the secondary market will figure it out.

Rivian R1T R1S Several Concerns 1625080146231

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
...Back to the Future has already answered this with Hover Conversions... The manufacturers may not offer it, but the secondary market will figure it out.

1625080146231.png
It was 2015 in that movie. :-(

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

To @CommodoreAmiga's point, click checkout on the reservation. Get in line. Pay the man. It is FULLY-refundable with cash back in your account in 7 days. If you continue to waffle, you will continue to move further down the line and more than likely regret waiting so long. Do it, @Casotakar...you won't regret it.

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
What concerns me is that even those who are "OK" with the delays aren't bullish on Rivian's timelines. I'd feel better if those who are still strong supporters were being vocal that they have faith in the current timelines.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
What concerns me is that even those who are "OK" with the delays aren't bullish on Rivian's timelines. I'd feel better if those who are still strong supporters were being vocal that they have faith in the current timelines.
I've been around procurement of large scale high tech systems all my working career. I know better than to expect these endeavors to stay on schedule. There used to be jokes in my industry about estimating how long it takes to produce a line of code then doubling it and then doubling it again before putting it in the proposal. An then there are the traditional battles between the tech staff and management. The former want to deliver something that works. The latter want to deliver on schedule whether it works or not.

Anyway I am not bullish on January's projected delivery for my R1T. There could be another COVID flareup. The semi conductor shortage could worsen. The unions might get into Rivians plant. I'm not uncomfortable with the schedule but I understand enough about these things to know that this is how it goes.

I have notices several comments by guys here to the effect that for them there isn't a whole lot of sand left in the hour glass and I am one of those so I do hope for sooner rather than later.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I'm counting myself in this group and here is my take;
Rivian is my first preference in EV trucks that are available for preorder so I preordered it, my second choice is the Ford Lightning which I doubt I will be able to get prior to the R1T but I preorderd this as well in the event Rivian collapses. My point is if anyone is preordering today Rivian will likely be their earliest delivery but I recommend preordering at least your top 2 options. Another option is purchase/ lease an available EV while you wait for your preferred back order so that it doesen't have to be a zero sum game Ie. Rivian by 2021 or bust. My outlook has improved since I've preordered three EV's, I can't afford all three but something will stick eventually.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have faith they will start delivering incredible vehicles soon (in the literal definition not the Rivian definition) and can't wait to hear the average Joe's impressions once they start taking deliveries.

Unfortunately I think there are still way too many unknowns about what the current delays are (government regulations/permits, supply chain, personal/training, etc...) to guess when the deliveries will start and how the ramp up to scale will be in order to have any real faith in a specific timeline.

I am in SoCal, have an LE R1S locked in, I was hoping to see it in 4th quarter this year but have adjusted my expectation from hoping for 4th quarter 2021 to by end of 2nd quarter 2022. I am ready if it comes earlier but I seem less bothered about it since I adjusted my expectation.

Sponsored

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
I'm of the same. mindset as those who have replied to my comment The delays aren't unexpected and are part of any type of mass launch on something of this magnitude. Like many others I'm only disappointed with Rivian's communication strategy around the timelines, but my disappointment isn't going to change anything about when my R1T shows up.

With that said, I too am confident the trucks/SUVs will eventually get here, and probably before any of the competitors are out, or at least out en masse.

I'm a Sept 2019 pre-order holder in Denver, I'll be very pleasantly surprised if I get a vehicle this year but I do believe the chances are very low of that happening.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I came within one click reserving one. Probably will reserve after September. Maybe more info will come out, but I think I will do it anyway since I do want to get in line. Do you think I will get it before the end of next year if I reserve it in September of this year??
I got out of line after making a reservation in January when the latest delays were announced… figure there was no good reason to tie up $1k to be near the end of the line. There might be a slight uptick in reservations after first deliveries. Otherwise you will likely get better options, pricing, etc for not committing. Plopping $1k down, sight unseen is a terrible negotiation tactic. I want a firm commitment date for my configuration before going any further.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
My outlook has improved since I've preordered three EV's, I can't afford all three but something will stick eventually.
Same boat myself. Throw down a preorder and wait for the reviews to come in, choose the best one when the time comes. Unfortunately, its gonna be awhile...

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Another option is purchase/ lease an available EV while you wait for your preferred back order so that it doesen't have to be a zero sum game
I did this in 2015 and have been waiting for my electric truck ever since! ?
Sponsored