First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I agree with you. I am not a fan of Ford either. The hope is that these vehicles would need such little maintenance that one would never/rarely have to use them for service. If I could order online and pick one up at the local Ford dealership...I would be fine with that.
IMO their service dept is even worse than their sales dpt.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Well said, not all manufacturers can turn unreliability into a signature feature like Alfa Romeo.
Ford and Fiat took unreliability to a whole new level, elevating their brands to four letter acronyms about the subject. Everyone I know seems familiar with the phrases Fix Or Repair Daily and Fix It Again, Technician!

While that derision is mostly undeserved (only mostly) and just wordplay, it does underscore the importance of hitting the ground with a very solid first effort that is both reliable and well-supported by a top-notch service team/program.

How many of you here were the happiest car owner in the world in your new Tesla, right up to the moment you needed something done or because something failed? No matter how much testing goes on in the pre-production and production phases, things are always going to happen that need service and attention. The $64,000,000,000 question (sorry folks, that's inflation for you) is what will any new company do to take care of those early adopters? If you don't take care of them, some disenchanted wordsmith will turn your brand into a derisive acronym.

Platitudes and truisms exist for a reason. There's a lot behind the saying "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression." I'm betting the news we get about Rivian's Service offering will put them on the path to that great first impression. Actually, we're all betting heavily on that.???

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
If you don't take care of them, some disenchanted wordsmith will turn your brand into a derisive acronym.
Gotta do both a positive and negative one for Rivian. Present it to them Morpheus style as red and blue pill. Pick which one we make more popular :cool:.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Ford and Fiat took unreliability to a whole new level, elevating their brands to four letter acronyms about the subject. Everyone I know seems familiar with the phrases Fix Or Repair Daily and Fix It Again, Technician!

While that derision is mostly undeserved (only mostly) and just wordplay, it does underscore the importance of hitting the ground with a very solid first effort that is both reliable and well-supported by a top-notch service team/program.

How many of you here were the happiest car owner in the world in your new Tesla, right up to the moment you needed something done or because something failed? No matter how much testing goes on in the pre-production and production phases, things are always going to happen that need service and attention. The $64,000,000,000 question (sorry folks, that's inflation for you) is what will any new company do to take care of those early adopters? If you don't take care of them, some disenchanted wordsmith will turn your brand into a derisive acronym.

Platitudes and truisms exist for a reason. There's a lot behind the saying "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression." I'm betting the news we get about Rivian's Service offering will put them on the path to that great first impression. Actually, we're all betting heavily on that.???

Agree, I have had a long career in a customer facing role and definitely take a measured approach to the customer vendor relationship.

Quality and Brand Score are strongly related. As many have alluded to in this forum, Quality is not a hard metric. Quality to a Mercedes Benz buyer vs a Toyota buyer is wildly different and subject to many factors including marketing and community.

There has been a lot negative comments around Ford and I am sure for those people its very real.

My personal example is I walked into my local ford Dealer and stood ad the reception desk in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday for 30 minutes wanting to talk to someone about buying a Raptor. I wore my "adult" clothes and was serious if not ready to sign on the dotted line.

I looked at employees and just stood there. Nobody even said hello to me, I am 6'3 250+ pounds not exactly a wallflower.

I walked out after the 30 minutes. I dropped my deposit on an R1T a few weeks later.

The dealer doesn't "owe" me any particular experience, but they are a store and if thats the way they are when they want my money, how are they going to be when I need their service? This is ONE dealer, maybe an exception?

Conversely, Ford and how they conducted themselves in the recession of 08 impressed me. Say what you will they are a great American company and employer.

Rivian is attempting to change the way the customer interacts with the automobile vendor. I laud this, but change is hard. People think they KNOW how they should be treated. All credit to Tesla for blazing this trail and making this change possible.

Rivian is doing it their way and so far I am impressed. I still have my LE order. Will I evaluate their process for me to spend 80K on a vehicle? Of course and then a decision will be made.

Thats my plan as a customer. My evaluation as a possible investor is a different equation with many of the same variables.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Say what you will they are a great American company and employer.
Read the book "A Savage Factory". It is a memoir from a manager who worked for Ford in one of their Michigan plants.

I don't know how anyone could call ford a "great" company or employer after reading a few pages of that book.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Read the book "A Savage Factory". It is a memoir from a manager who worked for Ford in one of their Michigan plants.

I don't know how anyone could call ford a "great" company or employer after reading a few pages of that book.
Havent read that one, I read Car by Mary Walton which is a compelling story of the "oval" ford taurus and how that radical design came to market warts and all.

There are a thousand stories about how any of the major manufacturers have made mistakes. Stipulated.

Millions of people worldwide drive and love Ford products and our (US) economic growth for decades has benefitted. I consider that a success on a macro level. Obviously there were themes in "A savage factory" that have influenced your opinion of Ford.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My guess is tomorrow afternoon. Pretty good Thursday/Friday cadence going lately, and doubt they'll do it on the actual Good Friday.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My guess is tomorrow afternoon. Pretty good Thursday/Friday cadence going lately, and doubt they'll do it on the actual Good Friday.
Hah. My bad. I actually thought it was Thursday already for a moment there. Long week.

Looks like you get 24 more hours this time, Rivian.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Agree, I have had a long career in a customer facing role and definitely take a measured approach to the customer vendor relationship.

Quality and Brand Score are strongly related. As many have alluded to in this forum, Quality is not a hard metric. Quality to a Mercedes Benz buyer vs a Toyota buyer is wildly different and subject to many factors including marketing and community.

There has been a lot negative comments around Ford and I am sure for those people its very real.

My personal example is I walked into my local ford Dealer and stood ad the reception desk in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday for 30 minutes wanting to talk to someone about buying a Raptor. I wore my "adult" clothes and was serious if not ready to sign on the dotted line.

I looked at employees and just stood there. Nobody even said hello to me, I am 6'3 250+ pounds not exactly a wallflower.

I walked out after the 30 minutes. I dropped my deposit on an R1T a few weeks later.

The dealer doesn't "owe" me any particular experience, but they are a store and if thats the way they are when they want my money, how are they going to be when I need their service? This is ONE dealer, maybe an exception?

Conversely, Ford and how they conducted themselves in the recession of 08 impressed me. Say what you will they are a great American company and employer.

Rivian is attempting to change the way the customer interacts with the automobile vendor. I laud this, but change is hard. People think they KNOW how they should be treated. All credit to Tesla for blazing this trail and making this change possible.

Rivian is doing it their way and so far I am impressed. I still have my LE order. Will I evaluate their process for me to spend 80K on a vehicle? Of course and then a decision will be made.

Thats my plan as a customer. My evaluation as a possible investor is a different equation with many of the same variables.
Never had a Ford problem, but yada yada yada. Meh to each their own.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer

6 years & 80,000 miles later I can't say the Tesla Model S has been one of our most reliable cars but not nearly as bad as our old Saab. It was easy to forgive the mechanical issues when Tesla treated us well.

After the Model 3 came out, things fell apart. Appointments are still very hard to come by. Parts take forever to get resulting in multiple trips to get a single repair completed. You can't call anyone to find out the status of your missing parts. Sales staff is very snarky to the folks trying to get their car fixed. I don't think they even look at your car unless it has been on the lot at least 24 hours resulting in multi-day drop offs.

At least the mechanics do good work as far as I can tell.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My guess is tomorrow afternoon.
01 April? I hope not... Unless it's accompanied by a tongue in cheek Launch Green reference.

Speaking of, I'll see you fine folks on Friday. Can't be caught by April Fools's if you stick your head in the sand!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
6 years & 80,000 miles later I can't say the Tesla Model S has been one of our most reliable cars but not nearly as bad as our old Saab. It was easy to forgive the mechanical issues when Tesla treated us well.

After the Model 3 came out, things fell apart. Appointments are still very hard to come by. Parts take forever to get resulting in multiple trips to get a single repair completed. You can't call anyone to find out the status of your missing parts. Sales staff is very snarky to the folks trying to get their car fixed. I don't think they even look at your car unless it has been on the lot at least 24 hours resulting in multi-day drop offs.

At least the mechanics do good work as far as I can tell.
Oof.

I had my Model S for a bit over a year before it made it's way back to Tesla. Each time I dropped it off for service they had it for multiple days - sometimes two, one time over 20. They were always pleasant though, and I got a loaner every single time.

This was pre Model 3 & Y though. Hopefully they have the same loaner SOP.
Sponsored