SE Michigan Owners?

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Not a lot of DCFC options around here yet. Best bet is to top off in Cadillac at EA on your way here. I've routinely gotten > 200 kW rates for several minutes there.

The highest you'll find in town currently is about 62 kW: CP at Blains Farm & Fleet on US31 south of town, and a couple of Blink units downtown. If you are heading north to Nub's or Boyne, there is a relatively new CP 62 kW unit in Eastport. I've passed by several times and never seen anyone plugged in. Kalkaska has a 62 kW CP station that folks have reported getting > 115 kW at, but I've not used that one either.

Only other 150+ DCFC is the EA in Gaylord. The RAN site in Grayling has been under construction for around 9 months now, and last I heard still not online.
Quick update:

RAN is Grayling is operational - 6 stalls including a drive through for pulling a trailer.

RAN site in TC is now under construction.
Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Impressive daily driver for 8 years! Especially if that was all in this region. Though I used to take my summer tire 330ci to ski in Vermont so I guess I wasn't as far off as I'd like to think ;)
No, it was in Florida. It was still a challenge, because the AC was basically non-functional the whole time. When I moved back to Michigan, I got a Subaru in order to have space for bikes and people. (I was able to fix my mountain bike into the passenger seat of the Lotus by taking off the wheels, the handlebar and compressing the fork.) Before I got the Subaru, I was thinking of getting a Mini Cooper as my utility vehicle. :)

Summer tires in the snow can be pretty scary. I put winter tires on my Lotus. I took great joy passing people on snowy days with my tiny go cart.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I haven't seen this posted yet, but I found the location of the permanent Rivian service center:

32601 Industrial Dr, Madison Heights, MI 48071

Does anyone live around there that could check the progress? Based on Street View it looks like they were already working on it last September but hadn't changed the signage.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I hope they keep the Plymouth location

Sponsored

OP
OP
DetroitRed

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
I hope they keep the Plymouth location
When I picked up my truck in Plymouth, they told me that the engineering office will stay there but the service center is moving. So my impression is that the service center portion of their operation in Plymouth will close when the new one is up and running, which is a bummer for me living in Canton.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
When I picked up my truck in Plymouth, they told me that the engineering office will stay there but the service center is moving. So my impression is that the service center portion of their operation in Plymouth will close when the new one is up and running, which is a bummer for me living in Canton.
Be happy you only have to drive to Madison Heights from Canton - I'm in Traverse City! :)

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO
Nowhere near as far as Traverse City, but being on the other side of Hell, this will be about twice as far as Plymouth.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Nowhere near as far as Traverse City, but being on the other side of Hell, this will be about twice as far as Plymouth.
When I lived in Orchard Lake I rode my motorcycle to Hell and back more than once... :cool:

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO
It’s fun to be by some of the few windy roads in SE MI. My bike (Triumph Tiger Explorer) enjoys them too. It’s also a favorite spot for the auto journos to come and play, so we see some nice toys going by too. Just passed through your old stomping grounds taking the kid back to Pontiac via Pontiac Trail.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

It’s fun to be by some of the few windy roads in SE MI. My bike (Triumph Tiger Explorer) enjoys them too. It’s also a favorite spot for the auto journos to come and play, so we see some nice toys going by too. Just passed through your old stomping grounds taking the kid back to Pontiac via Pontiac Trail.
Please send me maps :crying: Moved from CT to the Thumb and greatly miss making turns that aren't 90* with a stop sign.

@DetroitRed
When I was in Plymouth SC in Dec they said they were updating the service side to be more client facing vs checking in at the office but it sounded like they were doing that work there. Hopefully the are doubling up on service around Detroit and not fully moving? 🤞

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO
Please send me maps :crying: Moved from CT to the Thumb and greatly miss making turns that aren't 90* with a stop sign.

Here’s a quick loop around where we live: https://goo.gl/maps/2HNPaQMUbLh1SPXH8 that’s popular with the auto journalists. There are a number of nice roads in the area, but usually a bit of boring interconnection. N. Territorial west of Hadley to M52 is fairly nice. If you’re a mountain biker, DTE energy trail has a trailhead just south of Territorial and M52 (22 miles of flow). Waterloo, Seymour, etc. further west have some nice curves and are pretty scenic too. Happy to do a fun loop if you get down here.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Superb info, thank you! I'm not a mountain biker but have been meaning to explore that area on foot once it is TTS weather ;)

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO
The DTE trail is organized as 4 connected loops in Waterloo State Park (largest in lower peninsula). The Green Lake loop accessed from the M52 trailhead is 5 miles, pretty flat and the beginner trail for bikes (even seen kids on striders on there). It won best beginner mountain bike trail in MI a couple of years ago. Nice views of Green Lake. Big Kame is also about 5 miles, accessed within 1/2 mile of the start of Green and has decent elevation as it goes up and down a glacial kame. There’s another trailhead off Cassidy Rd between Big Kame and Winnewanna loops. Winnewanna is 8 miles, also works some Kames and has nice views of Winnewanna Lake. Sugar Loop is south of Waterloo Rd off the bottom of Winnewanna. It also has some decent elevation (Sugar “Mountain“), some fun rock features and jumps. All of the trails are open to hiking and running (opposite direction to bikes). My wife was the fundraising and marketing chair for building DTE so we’re there pretty regularly. We live between Half Moon and Blind Lakes in the middle of the map loop I sent. We are in the middle of Pinckney State Recreation Area which has the Potawatomi Trail in it. It’s 18 miles; back country style and open for hiking too. It’s a big loop, but there’s a shortcut for 14 or 2 mile Silver Lake and 5 mile Crooked loops too. A connector trail opened last year between Poto and DTE, so we’re pretty spoilt. Waterloo also has a hiking only trail which is out and back.

You do have some sweet trails near you. Glacial Hills is one of my favorites and it’s too close to Short’s Brewery to not enjoy good food and a brew after!

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

You do have some sweet trails near you. Glacial Hills is one of my favorites and it’s too close to Short’s Brewery to not enjoy good food and a brew after!
That was above and beyond guiding there, thank you! Sadly I'm in the Thumb on the east coast so nothing as hilly as Bellaire but I'll check that trail out when I'm up there next too!
Sponsored