Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I'd still like to see one of these with the inserts in. Since a bunch of you have done it, could one of you send some pics with the aero inserts in the blackened wheels? Do you plan to use the inserts when you go a long distance? What about the concern around 21" being a weird sized-wheel? Not worried about having to wait a few days to a week to get a spare if needed?
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

In case anyone is wondering, I just did a CS chat asking what the range impact of removing the aero covers is. The reply was “We have no data on that, but the 21” are the most efficient option.”

OP
OP
SACDFJC

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I'd still like to see one of these with the inserts in. Since a bunch of you have done it, could one of you send some pics with the aero inserts in the blackened wheels? Do you plan to use the inserts when you go a long distance? What about the concern around 21" being a weird sized-wheel? Not worried about having to wait a few days to a week to get a spare if needed?
I'm in the middle of an 800+ mile road trip w/o the aero covers and I'm seeing a consistent 326 mile range after charging. I did. Read an article where they tested the Tesla aero covers and they saw a 10 mile decrease in range. For me, I prefer the look of the wheels w/o the aero covers and especially if they only save me 10 miles.

In regards to the tire size... I do wish there were other tire choices, but it appears that tires are generally available, so not too worried.

Longer term I will put 20's on my truck. Just need the aftermarket folks to catch up to Rivian.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I did. Read an article where they tested the Tesla aero covers and they saw a 10 mile decrease in range.
I just did a search and looks like on the Model 3, it was a 2-4% loss without the aero covers, so that is, indeed only about 10 miles.

Doesn't sound like removing the aero covers are affecting your range much at all. Thanks for chiming in. Have a safe and fun trip in your R1T!

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Working on measurements and hopefully can get to a reasonably accurate stl for printable centerpieces that the aero center caps can clip into. Not a ton of time at moment. Now need to fire up my rusty sketchup skills.
Rivian R1T R1S Satin Black Powder Coated Rivian Factory 21" Wheels D9F7F8AE-5AEB-46F4-BA39-452A4BB9168C

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
We finished our 850+ mile road trip down the California coast and I didn't lose a center cap (bonus points). ;) Lots of compliments along the way on the wheels.

wheels.jpg
I wasn’t a big fan of the limestone, but I’m really liking the limestone with the 21” wheels in black!

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Could the aero covers be blacked out too? I’m wondering if there’s a way to have the all black look and still use the covers. I have 22” configured mostly due to tire options.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I just did a search and looks like on the Model 3, it was a 2-4% loss without the aero covers, so that is, indeed only about 10 miles
I would think even less impact in a Rivian since it’s less efficient. Figure removing the covers adds 10 wh/mile for the model 3 which is about 250 wh/mile so that’s 4% increase in consumption. If the Rivian is 450 wh/mile with covers on and increases by 10 wh/mile that’s only a 2.2% increase in consumption.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Could the aero covers be blacked out too? I’m wondering if there’s a way to have the all black look and still use the covers. I have 22” configured mostly due to tire options.
I’m sure the wheel covers could be spray painted to match the powder coated wheels.

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
These look amazing!

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
So these essentially look like the 22" upgrade wheels with the hub cap off. Especially after you powder coat them. I might as well ditch the 22" and save some money here.

Imo, 21" wheels are the perfect size for this size SUV
I would like to note, with 21" wheels when it comes to replacing your tires, not many tire options out there for this size since 21" is kind of a new size.

Just a quick search for 275/55/21 on Discount tire's website, displayed Pirelli for $422/tire.

275/50/22 you can find as low as $250/tire

I did downgrade my config from 22" to 21" with plans of popping off the hub cap and getting them powder coated glossy or satin.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I’m sure the wheel covers could be spray painted to match the powder coated wheels.
At least one person has painted their covers and posted pictures here (painted white with a white truck). I plan on using Plasti-Dip on mine and painting them the same colors as the rotors because I think that will look great on FG on the rare occasion that they actually on.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Correction...kindof.

I DID get that quote ($285/wheel w/ remount and balance)....

...but...

I thought my existing shop just painted....but in fact they (only) powdercoat. I guess I should have known this given that I've had a set of tesla wheels done there before (21" Gray Turbines refinished) and just picked up another set of Tesla wheels today (19" Silver Slipstreams refinished to Turbine Gray).

They are $150/wheel powdercoat with remount and balance (and any reasonable bend, etc repair). Overnight service and they have done a great job for me both times.

Not sure if it's kosher to 'advertise' here so won't, but happy to refer for anyone in ATL / North Atlanta looking to have wheel work done. They are in Norcross.
$150/wheel sounds about right. Thats the going rate in Dallas as well for powder coating.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Working on measurements and hopefully can get to a reasonably accurate stl for printable centerpieces that the aero center caps can clip into. Not a ton of time at moment. Now need to fire up my rusty sketchup skills.
D9F7F8AE-5AEB-46F4-BA39-452A4BB9168C.jpeg
Let's get some ☕....and focus.
Sponsored