Sponsored

Sat in a Lucid last weekend...

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
@manitou202 interesting you prefer Lucid Air to Taycan; I appreciate your perspecive as owner/driver of both. I hope Lucid can ramp up the Gravity, looks like a solid road trip EV.
The Taycan was better at the limit, assuming you have a fully spec'ed Taycan with the various performance upgrades and tires. But in normal to moderately aggressive driving the Lucid is better. Watch the videos above if you haven't. Lucid hired a lot of top talent and serious car enthusiasts to design the Air to be fun to drive. The Savage Geese crew said the Lucid Air Pure reminds them of the BMW E39 M5 which is considered one of the best M5s.

The Lucid also has a better UI, and significantly more interior and storage space packaged into the same length vehicle.

Keep in mind my Taycan Turbo S was $80k more than my Lucid Grand Touring with almost identical 1/4 mile times yet my Lucid has 25-50% further range. I don't even have the top spec Lucid with more horsepower or the bigger battery.
Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Nothing pisses
Spent a bit of time at the Lucid showroom in Tysons Corner (VA) last weekend. After owning a Rivian for the past year I wasn't super-impressed. I didn't see any apps on the radio (like how we have Spotify, Tune-In, etc.), and the thumb-wheel thingys on the steering wheel felt klunky. Also didn't like that features like headlights and wipers were on the touchscreen to the left of the wheel. Having a touchscreen in that position felt awkward. Not used to reaching with my left hand.

Also the big screen in the middle - is that only for climate control? Seems wasted space, if that's all it does. Was kind of neat how it retracted out of the way but that just felt like "another thing that can break", imho. I don't need a retractable screen for climate control.

I did like that the frunk was very big/deep, and the trunk was wide. Not as useful to me as a truck bed but very nice for a sedan-type vehicle. Also noticed the small pass-through (similar to my R1T).

The seats were soft and the navigation (on the small curved part to the right of the main dash) was fluid and smooth. Just felt so small compared to the Riv.

Anyhow, not meaning to rant. I could see that some of the features (like whatever apps it has) might've been locked out on the demo model. Just idly curious if anyone here owns a Rivian and a Lucid, and how they compare? Was reading this morning that Fisker is opening up (partnering with an existing) dealership nearby in Maryland soon. Will probably go check those out at some point, too. Better than going to the Washington Auto Show (which has almost no EV's), haha.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh - and we must look poor. The Lucid people didn't even bother to talk to us despite me climbing all over their cars to check them out. Maybe I shouldn't have worn a "Killdozer" t-shirt to Tysons Corner, haha. 🤔🤣
Nothing pisses me off more than lazy sales people. I'm not going to hunt one down just so they can make a sale for a car I already know more about than they do. At least introduce yourself and ask me if I need anything or if they can show me something.

I bought the wife a Lexus once purely because the Audi people next door were snobs. She changed her overall feelings about an entire brand just from the dealership experience.

I may look like white trash, but that's a conscious decision.

Rant over.

BG_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS
I've driven all but the Sapphire. Last week I drove a Pure just after the recent price drop. They are very well presented, comfortable, handle well, look fantastic (to me) and are a very fair value at the new pricing. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing one if I was after a sedan at current pricing, mainly because I'm 50 minutes from the factory. They were late to the party, and haven't been able to recover, but with what appears to be an unlimited backing from the Saudi fund, they should survive and the Gravity should do well if they can hold pricing....
Our first EV is our R1S which we love. Just now looking to replace an older Cadillac CTS sedan. Been wondering about the Lucid after the recent price cuts and this was a timely thread. Great feedback!

10BladeDad

First Name
KB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'08 H2, '13 MDX, '23 S60
Occupation
Live
Spent a bit of time at the Lucid showroom in Tysons Corner (VA) last weekend. After owning a Rivian for the past year I wasn't super-impressed. I didn't see any apps on the radio (like how we have Spotify, Tune-In, etc.), and the thumb-wheel thingys on the steering wheel felt klunky. Also didn't like that features like headlights and wipers were on the touchscreen to the left of the wheel. Having a touchscreen in that position felt awkward. Not used to reaching with my left hand.

Also the big screen in the middle - is that only for climate control? Seems wasted space, if that's all it does. Was kind of neat how it retracted out of the way but that just felt like "another thing that can break", imho. I don't need a retractable screen for climate control.

I did like that the frunk was very big/deep, and the trunk was wide. Not as useful to me as a truck bed but very nice for a sedan-type vehicle. Also noticed the small pass-through (similar to my R1T).

The seats were soft and the navigation (on the small curved part to the right of the main dash) was fluid and smooth. Just felt so small compared to the Riv.

Anyhow, not meaning to rant. I could see that some of the features (like whatever apps it has) might've been locked out on the demo model. Just idly curious if anyone here owns a Rivian and a Lucid, and how they compare? Was reading this morning that Fisker is opening up (partnering with an existing) dealership nearby in Maryland soon. Will probably go check those out at some point, too. Better than going to the Washington Auto Show (which has almost no EV's), haha.

Oh - and we must look poor. The Lucid people didn't even bother to talk to us despite me climbing all over their cars to check them out. Maybe I shouldn't have worn a "Killdozer" t-shirt to Tysons Corner, haha. 🤔🤣
Hmmm, I visited the Lucid showroom in Plano(TX) a while back. Didn't demo this trip, 1st time seeing their car(s) in person. As it was the weekend, I'm sure I was wearing sweats & a ball cap. Nevertheless, the staff was very cordial & happily answered every question wifey & I had. While I'm not a sedan person, thought it could possibly be an option for wifey provided I can convince her to go full EV. Hey, I got her to at least consider hybrids, so there's still a chance:) I anticipate taking delivery of my QM R1S (Limestone w/FE on 21") this Summer. Maybe that will be the final "push" needed.

We both like the exterior/interior look and feel & the est. 500mi range is a plus. Software/UI can be improved w/OTA releases, so I won't hold that against them too harshly. I really hope they can get their ish together & make hay in this EV market. As for the Gravity, think it looks more car than SUV IMHO, so I'll pass on that one. However, I STILL plan on demo'g both the Air & Gravity at some point.

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

My Rivian is my first truck. Ive been driving sedans forever and did not expect how connected the truck is to the road.

Completely off topic: a moment ago, I was watching the 9th lap to go at Daytona and thinking how the Rivian would handle at 150+ and boom! What a pileup!

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Had a chance to test drive the Lucid Touring two weeks ago and now I am ready to ditch my Model S and might even consider dropping the Rivian. Lucid just dropped their pricings and are giving some generous discounts that give some free options for inventory vehicles. I am really tempted !

The Lucid is a better driver's car than the Model S is. I was genuinely surprised at how well it drove. The driving dynamics between my Model S and the Lucid Air was a night and day diference.

It is more spacious inside, feels more traditional and luxurious than the Model S. Looks better than the Model S too.

The new software is far better than what ever they had when I tried one two years ago. It's more responsive and the controls are more intuitive and user friendly. The current Driver Dynamics Pro system, is comparable to Tesla AP was very functional on the highway too.

Dustyshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Last service center trip, I was given a Lucid Air touring as my rental. Really liked it. Drives super super nice. Interior is really luxurious. Did a trial of Tidal so I could test out some Atmos songs on the speakers. It was nice (not as nice as my Sonos system doing Atmos at home though).

Overall, I would seriously consider getting one. Only downsides were that the driver assistance package sucked worse than Rivian’s. Also I don’t care for the exterior styling and it felt more like a boat trying to park / navigate tight spaces than my R1S but that might just be that I’m more familiar with the Rivian at this point.

Miketz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lucid Air, BMW IX

You need to drive the car!! The driving dynamics of the Air is what makes Lucid the best EV for folks that love to drive.

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
I've driven all but the Sapphire. Last week I drove a Pure just after the recent price drop. They are very well presented, comfortable, handle well, look fantastic (to me) and are a very fair value at the new pricing. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing one if I was after a sedan at current pricing, mainly because I'm 50 minutes from the factory. They were late to the party, and haven't been able to recover, but with what appears to be an unlimited backing from the Saudi fund, they should survive and the Gravity should do well if they can hold pricing....
I’d imagine you’re trying to get your hands on a Sapphire….Ive only ridden in one thing that’s faster: 0-190 in about 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Now I know why random ads on websites that I visit are featuring bulldozers.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid S, Model X, R1S PDMM
Occupation
SE
Clubs

The EV space is full of gems right now. Each company as something the others didn't do right or vice versa and that's the most interesting part of it. Lucids are nice bottom line. And the pure might just really be a steal especially with the current price drop. Almost seems like they are throwing the bus with their latest offer. Hopefully the company lasts for years to come

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Spent a bit of time at the Lucid showroom in Tysons Corner (VA) last weekend. After owning a Rivian for the past year I wasn't super-impressed. I didn't see any apps on the radio (like how we have Spotify, Tune-In, etc.),

They don't need to waste expensive software engineering resources to reinvent the wheel with custom apps development when they support Android Auto and Apple Car Play which gives you 30+ apps including all of the above.

How was the *real l* leather?
Sponsored