Sponsored

Running boards impact on range?

yungish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hello all,

Anyone that have installed the ev sportline running boards, any impact on the range that you notice?

Thanks!
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hello all,

Anyone that have installed the ev sportline running boards, any impact on the range that you notice?

Thanks!
No impact at all. SEVERAL people have commented the same.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Hello all,

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN N=1

I think my rock sliders actually IMPROVED my range.

That said, I'm suffering range losses due to the winter and my specific use case for daily commuting.

But, I'm seeing better range than anticipated on very similar days. (my 'evidence' is that, with the cold in the northeast, I've been charging to ~85% on work days, and typically arriving home around 20% SoC. Since I've installed the rock sliders, I'm arriving home--similar temperatures and commute variables--with between 27 and 28% SoC).

My best (educated) guess is that the way that turbulent air is guided around the (solid) plates on the rock sliders) is somehow better than not having them.

Suffice to say, it's definitely not WORSE :) And I was sincerely worried it would be due to the weight of those monsters. But yet again, it seems to be more about aerodynamic efficiency (coefficients of drag) more than mass moved.

OP
OP
yungish

yungish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN N=1

I think my rock sliders actually IMPROVED my range.

That said, I'm suffering range losses due to the winter and my specific use case for daily commuting.

But, I'm seeing better range than anticipated on very similar days. (my 'evidence' is that, with the cold in the northeast, I've been charging to ~85% on work days, and typically arriving home around 20% SoC. Since I've installed the rock sliders, I'm arriving home--similar temperatures and commute variables--with between 27 and 28% SoC).

My best (educated) guess is that the way that turbulent air is guided around the (solid) plates on the rock sliders) is somehow better than not having them.

Suffice to say, it's definitely not WORSE :) And I was sincerely worried it would be due to the weight of those monsters. But yet again, it seems to be more about aerodynamic efficiency (coefficients of drag) more than mass moved.
Thanks! Which ones did you get? Can you share the link?

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks! Which ones did you get? Can you share the link?
EV Sportline:
https://evsportline.com/products/team-1ev-rmaxx-running-board-rock-sliders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

There's a review posted here if you're curious about them:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...x-running-boards-sliders-from-team-1ev.11589/

NOTE: historically, these have taken a bit to ship. I purchased these back in August and only received them a few weeks ago, myself. EV Sportline claims they had some manufacturing and logistics difficulties early on--I can't speak to whether or not they're resolved.

Sponsored

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

EV Sportline:
https://evsportline.com/products/team-1ev-rmaxx-running-board-rock-sliders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

There's a review posted here if you're curious about them:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...x-running-boards-sliders-from-team-1ev.11589/

NOTE: historically, these have taken a bit to ship. I purchased these back in August and only received them a few weeks ago, myself. EV Sportline claims they had some manufacturing and logistics difficulties early on--I can't speak to whether or not they're resolved.
Thor, I have seen posts about sliders such as the RMaxx that use the 2nd row of bolts for fastening, and concern was expressed about heightened risk of damage to the battery pack because the 2nd row is closer to the pack. Would you mind sharing your view on this? Do you think there indeed would be increased risk? Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Ohm Boy

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I have them. No measurable range impact and I can't recommend them enough. The R1S boards only weigh 34 lbs per side and they look great, tucked nice and flush under the doors and make the vehicle so much more usable for all passengers and the driver. Roof access is easier too. 100% worth the cost and effort if you DIY the install. Should be a factory option, IMO.

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards impact on range? 410861154_10227831222119494_8163389821751681182_n

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards impact on range? 410900373_10227831222199496_8209774605630341541_n

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have them. No measurable range impact and I can't recommend them enough. The R1S boards only weigh 34 lbs per side and they look great, tucked nice and flush under the doors and make the vehicle so much more usable for all passengers and the driver. Roof access is easier too. 100% worth the cost and effort if you DIY the install. Should be a factory option, IMO.
Can you share some pics of your R1S with them on?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
edited some into my post above
Thanks, they look good.

I’ve been waffling for a couple of months if I want them or not. I guess I can always take them off if I don’t like them.

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Weistec Engineering rock sliders mounted. No discernible impact on efficiency.

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards impact on range? IMG_3127

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thor, I have seen posts about sliders such as the RMaxx that use the 2nd row of bolts for fastening, and concern was expressed about heightened risk of damage to the battery pack because the 2nd row is closer to the pack. Would you mind sharing your view on this? Do you think there indeed would be increased risk? Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Ohm Boy
I don't share that concern.

The second row may be closer to the pack, but what will that do? When you engineer a bolted connection, it requires a requisite amount of material to maintain that fastened, rigid connection. Ergo, there will be plenty of meat between that piece of hardware and the battery.

Notwithstanding, once you're adding a bit of material between yourself and that bolt, even IF somehow the Engineers made an egregious oversight that might allow the bolt to somehow...interfere into a battery or terminal, by adding the running boards, you'd thenceforth be making it even safer (theoretically) by adding more distance between the fastener and whatever it might've been capable of impacting before it.

A very basic example of what I'm saying.
You'll have a solid bolted connection, and the material will run something like this:
Rivian R1T R1S Running boards impact on range? 1702996011520

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards impact on range? 1702996036910

Now we add the new layer (in this case the running boards), and now:
Rivian R1T R1S Running boards impact on range? 1702996384497

I'm sure it was safe before, but now, even if there was somehow a risk of penetration into the battery area, there's now less potential for that due to the stackup of material.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yungish

yungish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for all the feedback, it looks great, and I'm convinced I need them haha.

One additional question, any feedback from service center? I've seen some posts that some people claim Rivian will not honor battery pack warranty since we would be putting aftermarket hardware in?

Has this been debunked?

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks for all the feedback, it looks great, and I'm convinced I need them haha.

One additional question, any feedback from service center? I've seen some posts that some people claim Rivian will not honor battery pack warranty since we would be putting aftermarket hardware in?

Has this been debunked?
I sincerely doubt it'll be 'debunked,' but the preponderance of opinion is such to say:
1- you'll more than likely be protected by the Moss-Magnuson Warranty act
2- There's no innate risk to installing properly designed running boards to spec
3- Rivian will still not say 'it's "OK" to do this" but they *have* seen vehicles with running boards and by and large remained neutral to their being installed.

Does this mean life will be roses, unicorns and rainbows for you? No, if you catch a know-it-all service advisor having a bad day, you may need to escalate things. However, it's sincerely unlikely this modification in particular will cause any type of damage that should affect the warranty and any good attorney would be able to help make you whole.

I would bet for 90%+ of people, there will be no relevant /related issues and they'll just go about their day, and as R1s become more ubiquitous, so will these aftermarket parts.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Hello all,

Thanks!
It’s a very small frontal area and doesn’t stick out far past laminar flow around vehicle: negligible impact.
Sponsored