First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Do one better, tell them that they already have NACS support on test vehicles.
Let’s just go all the way: NACS plus CP/AA and each Rivian will come with a Teslabot that will wipe for you.
Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
In my dreams….

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So for anyone who doesn't already know. You can build a route in ABRP share to google maps then share to the Rivian. I love this feature.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

1685411463805.png

Just saw this on Reddit and wondered if anyone else has heard anything.
It would be pretty cool if it ended up being true.
Could it happen?.....yes, should it happen? Yes.....will it happen? No!

Pokemon Go uses the engine and data from the game "Ingress". Niantic is the company that I believe Google owns now but it is one in the same data....not the same game.

I think the likely scenario is that Rivian license's the data points and the algorithm and integrates it s it into the UI of Rivian. We have yet to travel a long distance that would need an ABRP-type map, but we will soon. Luckily we will be traveling one of the most heavily travel interstates in the country.....I5 in California and they have hundreds of charging stations at every stop.

What I would really like a EV charging company to do is the ability to reserve a spot for 10 to 15 mins. prior to getting there, so you can charge and go.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So for anyone who doesn't already know. You can build a route in ABRP share to google maps then share to the Rivian. I love this feature.
Does it actually share the route? Or just the destination and then the R1T calculates its own route?

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
1685411463805.png

Just saw this on Reddit and wondered if anyone else has heard anything.
It would be pretty cool if it ended up being true.
Color me skeptical. I'm in the camp where I think Rivian is more likely to license a native API with ABRP.

That said, IF it happened...is it that unbelievable? ABRP isn't a huge corporation and seems like a pretty small affair. I'm not sure what the subscriber base but if I was a small operation the number to buy me out is likely signifcantly smaller than the number that Rivian would dump into their own army of developers...

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Could it happen?.....yes, should it happen? Yes.....will it happen? No!

Pokemon Go uses the engine and data from the game "Ingress". Niantic is the company that I believe Google owns now but it is one in the same data....not the same game.

I think the likely scenario is that Rivian license's the data points and the algorithm and integrates it s it into the UI of Rivian. We have yet to travel a long distance that would need an ABRP-type map, but we will soon. Luckily we will be traveling one of the most heavily travel interstates in the country.....I5 in California and they have hundreds of charging stations at every stop.

What I would really like a EV charging company to do is the ability to reserve a spot for 10 to 15 mins. prior to getting there, so you can charge and go.
Go Resistance!!

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Let’s just go all the way: NACS plus CP/AA and each Rivian will come with a Teslabot that will wipe for you.
What, no full self driving?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The entire route and stops.
What happens if you go off course (or the nav thinks you did)? Does it re-route you back to the route? Or does it recalculate its own route?

That's a peeve I have with the current nav implementation. When first routing I can pick between two routes, but if at any point it "recalculates" it ignores my preference and takes me whatever way it wants.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think everyone would like this until they pull up to a completely empty location only to find all of the stations reserved….🤷🏻

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

What happens if you go off course (or the nav thinks you did)? Does it re-route you back to the route? Or does it recalculate its own route?

That's a peeve I have with the current nav implementation. When first routing I can pick between two routes, but if at any point it "recalculates" it ignores my preference and takes me whatever way it wants.
ya it does its own thing.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I think everyone would like this until they pull up to a completely empty location only to find all of the stations reserved….🤷🏻
Yeah, it's definitely a less efficient usage of the station because of this potential problem. It'd be dumb to have people waiting in a virtual line behind cars that aren't even charging yet. However, a hybrid approach might be worth trying at some stations just to see if it's doable: Allow vehicles to reserve a portion of a station, maybe 2 out of 6, and only have the reservation kick on when the vehicle is within 5-10 minutes of the station.

There are huge practical issues too though: How would someone pulling up to the station know that a particular charger was reserved? And if, as noted above, the reservation only kicks in when I'm already fairly close to the station, there's a chance the chargers will all be in use, and I would just be reserving a line/queue jump for when my reserved charger opens up. That could cause issues if someone who was waiting on site before me gets upset about me trying to pull into a charge spot in front of him. And by "issues" I mean a risk of fights.

While the idea of a reserved charging spot is a great one from the customer's viewpoint, I think it's only doable if you have a station attendant there to manage the process. That isn't going to happen except at the absolute largest and busiest of stations.

For me, the bigger issues that need to start being solved are things like:
  1. How to keep PHEVs off of L2 chargers at sites like Yosemite where a BEV may legitimately NEED every bit of charge possible to make it to their next charge, whereas a PHEV just wants some free juice and to save on gas $
  2. How to keep people from "hogging" a charger for longer than they really need
  3. How to keep people from using the "wrong" charger at sites like EA's where there are different charging rates available
There are "easy" ways to manage things like this, but they all come with problems. What if the 350kw charger is the only one open when the Leaf pulls in? What if the person isn't just moving along to the next charger on the major interstate but are going to heading off to a more rural area a few exits up and they really do need 100% charge to make it there? Etc.

On the subject of routing, which is what this thread is REALLY about: In the Instagram Q&A, RJ did say there are some big improvements coming in several phases for mapping and route planning and that they see that as possibly the most critical part of the software stack for EVs. I expect this will continue to get better and better and more and more feature rich as time passes. They've got the essential parts in there so you can get from A to B. It sounds like they're now able to start working on the things that aren't critical but that improve quality of experience significantly.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

1. How to keep PHEVs off of L2 chargers at sites like Yosemite where a BEV may legitimately NEED every bit of charge possible to make it to their next charge, whereas a PHEV just wants some free juice and to save on gas
PHEVs have every right to use chargers. I'd rather see a PHEV charging on an L2 plug than charging super slowly on a DCFC plug.
Sponsored