First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My favorite is a GPS in one of my old cars would route me off a freeway, and then right back on again for no apparent reason at random times and generally when there was no traffic.

Another time as we were stopped at the top of Echo Summit going into South Lake Tahoe for a head-on crash . For those not familiar, this is about a 4 mile stretch of twisty two-lane road that heads down a sheer cliff. Traffic was stopped and was going no where until the mess was cleared up and the only alternative into town would have been at least a 2-hour detour. For entertainment, we got onto Waze to see what the crowd was thinking and someone said Waze was rerouting them down the Old Meyers Grade Road. A bunch of people jumped on that bandwagon got out of line and returned to the top of the pass (while those of us in line all moved up to take their place). Here's the catch - that old road has been closed and gated off for at least the last 20 years. You should have heard those people whine and and then get pissy when those near that exit told them to go to the back of the line.

Morale of the story: GPS and routing apps are only aides along your journey, not the gospel!
Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
My favorite is a GPS in one of my old cars would route me off a freeway, and then right back on again for no apparent reason at random times and generally when there was no traffic.

Another time as we were stopped at the top of Echo Summit going into South Lake Tahoe for a head-on crash . For those not familiar, this is about a 4 mile stretch of twisty two-lane road that heads down a sheer cliff. Traffic was stopped and was going no where until the mess was cleared up and the only alternative into town would have been at least a 2-hour detour. For entertainment, we got onto Waze to see what the crowd was thinking and someone said Waze was rerouting them down the Old Meyers Grade Road. A bunch of people jumped on that bandwagon got out of line and returned to the top of the pass (while those of us in line all moved up to take their place). Here's the catch - that old road has been closed and gated off for at least the last 20 years. You should have heard those people whine and and then get pissy when those near that exit told them to go to the back of the line.

Morale of the story: GPS and routing apps are only aides along your journey, not the gospel!
I've had the nav do the off ramp then back onto to freeway a number of times. Followed directions the first time and realized what it was doing. Never again...fool me once...
Another oddity was on I5 south of Redding. Nav wanted us to exit 15 miles or so south and go on 2 lane road that kind of paralled the interstate. Didn't the follow those directions.
One good reroute the nav did was on 101 south in stop and go near Ventura. Sent us on surface roads thru Oxnard to reach 1.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm mainly Kitsap/Mason now and even I knew about it.
All of the media. Seattle Times had it up for the whole week, any local news station evening clips mention it ( I accidently saw when turning my TV on before switching to Netflix), and I don't have them but I'm sure the facebooks and tweeters had it too.
Even I knew about it! Everyone knew about it except the Rivian nav. :) I guess that means they’re nav. isn’t responsive to real time traffic updates, either, since that would have indicated the highway is closed too. So, does that mean one might get routed into highways with accidents or construction work that slows traffic, too?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I can only speak for this one set of express lanes: I’ve never had Apple or Google maps make this mistake in this particular instance. I imagine that at one point this would happen regularly, but these services have tons of developers working on them and are constantly improving. I think the up to date location information from hundreds of millions of Android and Apple phones helps a lot.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/apple-maps-routing-drivers-heading-144800925.html

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I’d guess the frequency of which you use 520 influences how much attention you give it’s closure
I haven't used the 520 bridge since they started tolling it in Dec 2011. Yet I still know when 520 gets shut down entirely - all entrance/exit ramps to 520 as well as the I-90 bridge suffer when that happens.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Exactly my point. It's just a tool, and if it tells you nonsense then you should use your own better judgement.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I've had google maps do this to me twice.

As many have stated, it is a general navigation issue. Could Rivian's nav be improved? Sure, but the problem will never go away. How do you think those apps route around closed streets? It tries to send a user down it, then the user provides feedback that it is closed. Enough feedback and the system will avoid it.

There is no magic involved in this.

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
It tries to send a user down it, then the user provides feedback that it is closed. Enough feedback and the system will avoid it.
Is there any way to send route feedback to Rivian or whoever runs the nav system?

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Heh—now I’m sorry to have brought up dynamic rerouting, which is a lot harder than just not routing into closed highways in major metropolitan areas, which it has tried to do to me twice now. I’ll be happy if Rivian fixed that simpler problem first, and didn’t get distracted. :) Don’t try to do to too much, Rivian! Crawl, walk, run.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Apple and Google see phones going down these forest roads all the time, and it’s actually a sizable percentage of the locals’ phones. Thus, it is seen as a real working road. But the locals have huge AWD trucks with monster off road and winter tires, and they don’t travel down the road when it’s impassible. Lately I’ve seen Google adopt a policy of strongly preferring arterials over neighborhood shortcuts for Lyft and Uber. Apple should add a policy of excluding forest roads unless you live in the area. Call it “city slicker” mode.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Today the Rivian nav. attempted to route me into a highway which was scheduled to be closed (and was, in fact, closed) the entire weekend (Friday night through Monday morning).

It’s not great.
I wonder if routing would have done the same thing this weekend. 91W at 15 closed for roadwork all weekend. It's pandemonium on surface streets. This is why Rivian and others should just rely on Google and Waze for the best information.

Last edited:

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Reading up, look's like I'll be mounting my Galaxy Fold 4 on the dashboard, right above the main screen & let them argue as to which route is better :cool:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’ve learned long ago to use different systems to check my route before heading out from various snafus on many different cars. Taking 3 or 4 minutes while charging to double check everything kills some of the wait time while charging.

So far this trip using ABRP and the Rivian navigation as well as an occasional google maps to check it has been smooth sailing. Have not had any errors on the Rivian navigation and by doing each leg to the next Electrify America stop on the Rivian navigation it gives me the message it is preparing the battery for charging at some point during the leg.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So far this trip using ABRP and the Rivian navigation as well as an occasional google maps to check it has been smooth sailing. Have not had any errors on the Rivian navigation and by doing each leg to the next Electrify America stop on the Rivian navigation it gives me the message it is preparing the battery for charging at some point during the leg.
Just a PSA: the Rivian nav. is missing some Electrify Canada chargers.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Rivian nav is actually trash, routed me across a closed highway (with a [-] symbol on it even??) earlier today, costing me 20 precious minutes of my Very Important Life as I had to turn around and drive through the shitscape that is bellevue, wa to get back home.

It sucks at traffic guessing too, though, and it sucks at saving inputs ("do not take me across this awful bridge you always fuck this up") or whatever.

Crazy that they'd not allow Android Auto, but would use... Alexa? Just a total ball drop.
If Alphabet owned 20% of the company and Rivian had a contract to build vans for them, well, I'm sure you'd see Android all over the place. :cool:
Sponsored