Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I didn't go DIY but I did buy a manual version

Haven't installed it yet, but will post thoughts when I finally do. If it doesn't work out then, I'll be going this route (although these folks should work on their SEO as I tried multiple searches trying to find a motorized solution that looked good, and this never came up).
Installed this today ave it was a bit of a hassle to get the four ropes at the right length. But i eventually did. The other weirdness is that when the tent is lowered to its final spot there is still a decent amount of tension. this makes disconnecting a bit cumbersome.

All in all the kit is high quality and should handle the tent as well as my other crossbars with my awning and road shower. not as convenient as Kyle's set up but also about $1k cheaper :)
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Installed this today ave it was a bit of a hassle to get the four ropes at the right length. But i eventually did. The other weirdness is that when the tent is lowered to its final spot there is still a decent amount of tension. this makes disconnecting a bit cumbersome.

All in all the kit is high quality and should handle the tent as well as my other crossbars with my awning and road shower. not as convenient as Kyle's set up but also about $1k cheaper :)
Update: F this piece of S :)

I added my other rack that has an awning and roadshower (7 Gallon). As I was hoisting I heard a couple of ominous "twangs" and the load shifted. There is no way I trust it to not drop my tent through my windshield. Not to mention the 8:1 pull ratio makes it easier to hoist, but it's not easy and takes quite a bit of time.

I'm uninstalling it tomorrow and have ordered the same system as Kyle.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Update: F this piece of S :)

I added my other rack that has an awning and roadshower (7 Gallon). As I was hoisting I heard a couple of ominous "twangs" and the load shifted. There is no way I trust it to not drop my tent through my windshield. Not to mention the 8:1 pull ratio makes it easier to hoist, but it's not easy and takes quite a bit of time.

I'm uninstalling it tomorrow and have ordered the same system as Kyle.
Any idea what your joists are made of? If you happen to have i-joists, the issue (your ominous twangs) may be drilling into the flange as much as the actual equipment itself.

Here's are example of provisions for screwing into Boise Cascade and TJI i-joists. I suspect the biggest issue may be the ability to locate the screw on the flange correctly and making sure it is sized and predrilled appropriately to achieve the design pullout capacity of the screw (and avoid compromising a joist).

https://bcconnect.widen.net/s/kwjrrcrtkz/ij-34_flange_screw_provisions_2021_02

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/document-library/document_library_detail/tb-808/

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Any idea what your joists are made of? If you happen to have i-joists, the issue (your ominous twangs) may be drilling into the flange as much as the actual equipment itself.

Here's are example of provisions for screwing into Boise Cascade and TJI i-joists. I suspect the biggest issue may be the ability to locate the screw on the flange correctly and making sure it is sized and predrilled appropriately to achieve the design pullout capacity of the screw (and avoid compromising a joist).

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/document-library/document_library_detail/tb-808/
Thanks for the suggestion, but the joists are normal wood joists. I think the twang was the straps adjusting under the tent and maybe one of the pulleys adjusting itself on the eye bolt. The system would probably be fine in the long run, but the goal was to make it super simple to get the tent off and on the truck, and it's not that - it's easier than moving it by hand, but short of what I'm looking for.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for these. I have these damn engineered joists and wondered how to properly attach a load to them. I'd actually explored making a frame of sorts attached to the studs instead to hang an RTT from. Part of my problem is these joists are covered by maybe 5/8" sheetrock as a fire break, so it's still going to be really difficult to find the edges.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for these. I have these damn engineered joists and wondered how to properly attach a load to them. I'd actually explored making a frame of sorts attached to the studs instead to hang an RTT from. Part of my problem is these joists are covered by maybe 5/8" sheetrock as a fire break, so it's still going to be really difficult to find the edges.
Haha. I'm have a feeling I do to, and it's the reason I haven't installed a hoist yet. I've also been contemplating an alternative frame idea.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
With the crossbars attached and the tent raised as far as it will go, how far down from the ceiling is the lowest point? I have a high ceiling in my garage and I’m curious if this will fit above my raised garage door or if I have to mount it further back behind where the door rolls up. I plan of copying your awesome setup either way. Thanks!
Almost exactly 24”, but I have room for crossbars on top of the tent. You should be able to shave another 4-6 inches off, give or take.

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Damn. I reached out to them directly a while ago and they didn't keep my E-mail to tell me these were available.
They actually emailed me the day they were available, I was very surprised! Gonna try installing it this weekend.

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
SmarterHome kit arrived today, WEW security mounts came in a few days ago, and I'm expecting the Condor Overland on Monday.

@kylealden any installation tips you'd offer aside from watching the manufacturer's video series?

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
SmarterHome kit arrived today, WEW security mounts came in a few days ago, and I'm expecting the Condor Overland on Monday.

@kylealden any installation tips you'd offer aside from watching the manufacturer's video series?
My only tip is that you should actually measure things… I have a bad habit of eyeballing it. Then again, the tent hasn’t come crashing down yet 😅

Otherwise I found it very plug and play!

jkennebeck

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure
Clubs

I went oversized on my RTT and got a Condor 2 XL. Its width is 56 in which is just about totally covering the Rivian crossbars completely. So I won't have the extra space for the sweet truck top lifter points to attach to them. I have already ordered the truck top lifter and I think I may just use a couple of 2x6's with eyebolts and beaners like Mr. Nelson has in his video. That way I can still leave my crossbars attached as well and still be able to lift. Crossbars arrived today, lifter arrives tomorrow and the RTT should be here in about a week. If you folks have any other ideas I'd be grateful to hear thoughts! The good news is that even with the RTT mounted on the R1T it all still fits in my garage lenghtwsie (barely)!!! Happy adventuring everyone!
Sponsored